Thread: How to become a video game retailer/reseller?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How to become a video game retailer/reseller?

I've been keeping track of some of the good video game deals here and there around town, and making an insignificant sum of money on ebay. I was thinking, the only way to do it for real must be to make some sort of arrangment where you get things at a constant rate from....wherever...distributors, the companies, rather than running around town in the middle of the morning trying to catch a sale.

I'm not quite sure how to begin this process. I imagine there are applications, various forms and fees to deal with, but search engines just point me to lots of people wanting me to buy a book.

Advice?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There are a bunch of video game wholesalers who will sell to a company, whether it be a storefront of an online site. You just have to search them out..
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

tons of wholesalers, I'm not giving out any names but most of the items and NEW games they sale are cheap, but those games aare cheap everywhere including your local shopkos, walmarts, best buys.

Really not much you can do unless you open a storefront or online shop

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default d

OK, so there's tons of them. Why isn't anyone naming them? That's what I think he was looking for, not "go find them!"

Obviously, he already tried.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ebay is not the way to try and make tons of money off this kind of stuff. People go to ebay for good deals.

My dream is to one day open a video game store. A huge one with some arcade machines in teh back. I can go on for hours about my plan. :P
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i cant help you here.. sorry

but yes it would be coo to own my own store .. or chain of stores i should say? but that wouldnt happen until i came out with my own console

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It all depends on what type of store you want, and how big you want it. EBay will give you the largest market to sell to, which means that you can usually get the highest prices there unless you become a quite-large store first.

You have to drive traffic to your Web site, which is a never ending adventure of getting yourself listed high on search engines, making posts, asking people to link to you, etc.

You also have to be willing to not make any money, or very little after a long time. The GOAT Store, LLC, which is the store I run, has now been around for four and a half years, and we're just finally breaking even off our initial investment.

We get stuff from all over. Keeping your eyes open is the best way to find good deals, and then you have to find suppliers that will get you the other things. Systems sell the best and are also the hardest to find at decent prices.

If you go with newer stuff, you have to be able to accept the fact that you could invest in a bunch of games at $10.00 apiece only to have Best Buy or Circuit City or Gamestop come out and liquidate a million of them for $5.00 apiece.

It's kinda fun. No matter what you decide, good luck!
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioAllStar2600
    My dream is to one day open a video game store. A huge one with some arcade machines in teh back. I can go on for hours about my plan.
    Actually, I've had a similar dream, but reverse the ratios: an arcade where you can also buy video games. Sort of like Chuck E. Cheese, only replace the restaurant with a game shop.

Bright lad, you'll go far. Either that or we'll both bankrupt ourselves trying to do these things.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan View Post
    It all depends on what type of store you want, and how big you want it. EBay will give you the largest market to sell to, which means that you can usually get the highest prices there unless you become a quite-large store first.

You have to drive traffic to your Web site, which is a never ending adventure of getting yourself listed high on search engines, making posts, asking people to link to you, etc.

You also have to be willing to not make any money, or very little after a long time. The GOAT Store, LLC, which is the store I run, has now been around for four and a half years, and we're just finally breaking even off our initial investment.

We get stuff from all over. Keeping your eyes open is the best way to find good deals, and then you have to find suppliers that will get you the other things. Systems sell the best and are also the hardest to find at decent prices.

If you go with newer stuff, you have to be able to accept the fact that you could invest in a bunch of games at $10.00 apiece only to have Best Buy or Circuit City or Gamestop come out and liquidate a million of them for $5.00 apiece.

It's kinda fun. No matter what you decide, good luck!
    I have tried viewing your website and its full of endless errors and no products. That may be why your not making any money...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuzzball123

Quote Originally Posted by ddan View Post
    I have tried viewing your website and its full of endless errors and no products. That may be why your not making any money...
    Wow, like that wasn't rude.

:/
    i liek gamez

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Nothing like an insult five years later. KA-POW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Wow... I'll be totally honest: You are a(n) [insert adjective of choice here]. You're responding to something from 2004...

Not only that, but the website works fine for me.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah no kidding. Goat Store has done a great job of earning a reputation as a quality retailer. The website isn't the prettiest thing I have ever seen, but it works fine for me. Keep up the good work Dan!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah it works great for me too. Although the price for an SNES looked a little strange at 72.95 shipped.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love you're very first post here...
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you can become a video game retailer via some wholesalers

Recommend this pandawill.com

you also can check out my signature

Last edited by 520xyz; 07-07-2009 at 01:39 AM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heh, just saw this myself (WISE FROM YOUR GWAVE!)...

That guy must have caught us on the day that we switched over our systems. We just relaunched the main site, and in seeing when he posted, he must have decided to look and dig this thread up on the day of our beta relaunch as we were putting in the new site.

If anyone has any opinions on the look, feel, layout or whatever, we'll be happy to hear them! We're adding a ton of features to it (it's going to take a while to do all we want to with it), but it's going to be great when we complete it! The plan is even to include DP rarity on all of the pages so you can see the rarity of the games, and to allow collectors to track their own collections in it. Joe and I talked a while ago, but we're probably still a month or two from this happening...

But anyway, it still doesn't make much money, but I still have fun doing it -- and isn't that what this hobby is all about anyway? Oh, and ddan, if you so choose to check out the site again, you'll see it is fully functional for ordering now... with much more new stuff coming soon!
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

I make a good amount of money ebaying games.
    You just have to look around for garage sales, pawn shops, thrift stores, and clearances. There are even some games you can buy at gamestop and flip on ebay for double or triple the price.