Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CGE 2004 Update!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default CGE 2004 Update!

Well, we know that a lot of people are waiting anxiously for news of this years CGE. I've started this thread to try and update everyone so they know what we're planning as soon as we get more info.

So here's where we stand:

Joe and I will be traveling from Jan. 29 till Feb.1 doing final location visits to several of the choices we have lined up.

I expect to know when and where the show will be held when we return, so look for the announcement on Feb. 2nd or 3rd most likely.

Just a note, since there has been much scuttlebutt about where the show will be. We have not ruled out Vegas. In fact, we are looking at several west coast cities.

All I ask is that you hang tight and in the meantime, start saving/preparing for what will be the greatest CGE yet!

John

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jeeze, John, you sure know how to keep people on the edge of their seats!
    Of course, I'm nosy, and all these mysterious half-clues drive me nuts anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by punkoffgirl
    Sorry, I tried to avoid that.

If you notice I didn't make any mention of the other giant CGE event that will happen in May.

...whoops.

John

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did I mention I have no patience? I'm horrible at waiting.
    I imagine if I started calling you every five minutes for the next week, you'd be willing to share more information pretty soon *lol*

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CX2K
    Quote Originally Posted by punkoffgirl
    Sorry, I tried to avoid that.

If you notice I didn't make any mention of the other giant CGE event that will happen in May.

...whoops.

John
    Heh. John, you tease you....ya lug. Whoopie-skippie-lotsa luck on all fronts buddy!
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

I'm looking forward to know where it'll be held, but I just hope it won't be Vegas. Not that I have anything against it per se, but it'd take me longer to fly there from Montreal than if CGE were held on the West coast (there's no direct flight between Montreal and LV, while Montreal-California flights are direct).

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Finally! I don't mind Vegas, but Calirfornia wouldn't be cool.
    Well we just have to wait and see, and I will start throwing somer cash into a jar early.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's to hoping it's going to be in the first two weeks of August.

Having to choose your days off for the following year before the start of the year stinks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

If it's too far from southeastern PA, it's likely that I won't be able to go. Not that I wouldn't want to... I mean, I've never been to any of these events before, but I'd do anything and everything possible to go to the big CGE! But... *sigh* I don't live alone. Yes, it's a bit suffocating to live with a mother who HATES travelling outside of PA unless absolutely necessary... and she doesn't see video games in the same light as I do.

I don't think my dad would mind, but he knows even less about video games... I love them both very much, but they drive me to the edge of sanity sometimes. >_<

Isn't it a bitch when personal problems interfere? If you can't host it in Pennsylvania, or even Maryland, then I guess that will be okay. There's always next year. Sorry to release my angst on this otherwise cheerful update.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sotenga
    If it's too far from southeastern PA, it's likely that I won't be able to go. Not that I wouldn't want to... I mean, I've never been to any of these events before, but I'd do anything and everything possible to go to the big CGE! But... *sigh* I don't live alone. Yes, it's a bit suffocating to live with a mother who HATES travelling outside of PA unless absolutely necessary... and she doesn't see video games in the same light as I do.

I don't think my dad would mind, but he knows even less about video games... I love them both very much, but they drive me to the edge of sanity sometimes. >_<

Isn't it a bitch when personal problems interfere? If you can't host it in Pennsylvania, or even Maryland, then I guess that will be okay. There's always next year. Sorry to release my angst on this otherwise cheerful update.
    They migth have teh send a former member to CGE contest again. Dont know how cool ur rents would be with that though.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Must... know... when...and.. where...

I'm about as far away as you can get from any of the locations down here in Newfoundland. But I'm determined to try to go.
    However I'm poor... BUT since I'm going to university still this summer... student loan + eat kraft dinner all summer = potential cge money.
    Woot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Sotenga

There's phillyclassic in March that you could check out.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

Default Re: CGE 2004 Update!

In fact, we are looking at several west coast cities.
    I love you, Mr. Hardie. If it's not in Vegas, I can probably go again this year!
    Egbert, I miss you...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: CGE 2004 Update!

Quote Originally Posted by Querjek
    In fact, we are looking at several west coast cities.
    I love you, Mr. Hardie. If it's not in Vegas, I can probably go again this year!

John

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

pittsburgh pennsylvania wouldnt be a bad choice with the new David L. Lawrence convention center. more than adequate for this event in my opinion.
    good traders: quintracker. querjek. jonjandran. optic_85. Qixmaster.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*cough* portland oregon *cough* i wish....

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Vegas, baby! Vegas!

I should've gone last year.

Keeping fingers crossed,
    Matt

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I can't wait to get a break from this northeast weather! We're leaving for the bay area this afternoon.

I think MOST of you here know why we're considering this move, it all boils down to growth.

While Vegas IS arguably the most "fun" city you could host an Expo in, it is also an ISLAND. As such, the 1500 or so guests that we get are composed of approximately 1400 people who planned to take the trip and whose highlight of the weekend is CGE, and 100 who are passers-by.

By moving to a more populated area, the "show of shows" changes that ratio. While a small percent of people may NOT go with the show moved further west, or out of Vegas, or 6 hours further away, or whatever the reason, I'd gamble (pun intended) that more than two thirds of that group would go regardless of where it is located simply because that was the highlight in the first place.

Now, put the show in the center of populated areas, in a place where there are more major cities in a 100 mile radius, and suddenly you get the "passerby" quotient raised. The show is listed in the local paper and advertised on radio and TV, and now families can say "hey, look what's going on in the next town this weekend! Let's hop in the car and check it out". In Vegas, there is no "hopping in the car", and there aren't enough populated areas nearby to attract any kind of incidental traffic.

Two other things to consider.

One, that moving it allows people who don't fly and found Vegas just out of reach (often left-coasters) get a chance to see it.

Two, a good deal of our distinguished guests who take time out of their schedules to speak at CGE, often allocating a day or two for travel, now have the show right in their backyards. There is a heavy population of these guests in the area we're considering. An added perk is that there will be some game industry celebs that could never make the trip to Vegas in attendance for the first time.

And through all of this, it's still very important to us that the place has everything that "fits" our show, so there is still the possibility that we'll return and announce Vegas as the location anyway.

The answer is a few days away. Hang in there!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default My vote is for Silicon Valley!

The San Jose area is the nexus of the classic video game industry. So many of the people who impacted our childhoods still reside in the Bay Area. Plus, it won't be so freakin hot

I don't know who many of you know, but the San Jose Convention center is the location of the annual Game Developers Conference (this March). It's not an accident.

Also, the San Jose airport, San Francisco, and Oakland are major hubs for American, United, Delta, and Southwest Airlines, so if you do need to travel, chances are very good that you will not have to fly multiple legs.

Just my 2.5 cents!

- Jeff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Total Est. Time: 24 hours, 23 minutes Total Est. Distance: 1588.41 miles

Uggggggggggggggggggh.