Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gamestop to stop taking trades on NES,SNES,GEN,DC

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Yeah that's true, less places to find carts = more demand and higher ebay prices. This should be fun trying to finish NES related collections.

Hell maybe I should just buy up lots of NES carts now, collecting or not, for trade fodder.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Kejoriv
    Can someone confirm that all Gamestops are going to stop selling these games?
    That's not entirely true. After Feb. 22nd, no more trades will be accepted. The company will then decide how to divide up their remaining inventory, or if they're going to leave it where it is. Don't expect a sale, though. I'd be mighty surprised if there was one. Dreamcast stuff has been on sale for the past month or so and I haven't seen a jump at all in sales, other than us employees.

My manager told me about this terrible event when I got into the store today. It pretty much shit on my entire evening. I started working at Funcoland strictly for the NES games, and while my interests have shifted somewhat towards the modern consoles, I pride myself in being one the biggest NES person at our store, and knowing my way around the system and it's games.

The email sent to stores said that it was no longer financially sound to allow the product to have any floor space in the store. What gets me is that all of these games are either in dump bins on the sales floor, or on a gondola-type rack, also on the sales floor. Taking these out of the store is going to leave a massive empty space, making the store look more barren than it should. It would most likely end up being replaced with some silly marketing standee or some garbage of that nature.

Retrogaming is a hot thing right now, especially the NES. The clothes that Hot Topic sells are very popular(at least they are around here), it makes appearances from time to time on G4, etc.

In addition, Game Crazy will take this and run with it, since they do sell older stuff. They'll be the only ones left that do so across the board, AFAIK. EB does it on a voluntary basis, I believe. Whay can't Gamestop go that route? Yeah, it makes sense to discontinue carrying the product in store that it simply doesn't sell well in, but allow it in stores such as the one I work at, where SNES/NES stuff has a large presence. Our location is quite rural, and we get a lot of folks in that have not upgraded their systems in a long time, so SNES is the last thing they have-in some cases, the NES is the last system they bought.

Not to mention that the collectors will be upset. Well, those that shop at GS anyway. I know it's not the best place to shop for them, but good deals can be had.

But when it all comes down to it, the company only looks at numbers as a whole, rather than breaking it down into smaller groups and really looking at how well it sells at the store level.

*sigh* Man, I'm f'n pissed just thinking about it.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    GameStop (Funcoland) has bee discussing how they want to eliminate these games for years. I was told recently that they were eliminating them by that point in time, but we'll see...

If they do eliminate them, it really won't hurt them as much as you guys are saying. If you get a stack of NES games and it takes you 20 minutes to do the transaction to get the games, and the games sell for a total of $40.00 when all 20 of them are sold, your better off dropping them, especially if you can make the same amount of money off two XBox games.

It does make sense for them. If it actually happens this time, the collector in me is torn between my collection rising in value because it is harder to find games and my collection not growing too much because... it is harder to find games.

The world will go on everyone, and with or without NES, SNES, Geni and DC games so will GameStop.
    I stopped reading from this point on....so sorry if somebody already mentioned this. and i'm not trying to point a finger at you or make you sound stupid, but they don't even offer dirt for these used games. $1 or $2. So at any rate, they won't sell any of them for under $3.99, a majority at 7.99 or 9.99. Or maybe I just don't have the cool stores but at any rate...pay that guy to inventory them and look them up and buy them back....cuz it sure seems well worth my time. If I could pay some idiot to ring up the trade-ins and get them out there for sale, and make $100. I don't care if that kid hates it or not, that's what you call making money and that's also why EB and Gamestop never have good employees(NOT always true, before I start a fire here...), as long as they can punch in the figures and ring people up...they don't care.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A couple months ago I was told this by an employee at one of the GS I go to.

Last time I was there, I asked again. The manager said "Some" are dropping their stuff. Not all.

The way I see it, if they keep them, I'll have a source for old games for a while.

If they drop them, they'll probably clearance everything to the point of maybe Buy One Get One Free. That will be good as well. So I'd have to look elsewhere for NES and Genesis games, but at least I could finally grab those more expensive ones I've been eyeing for months. (Kirby, Castlevania, Donkey Kong, etc...)

At least they'll have PSX games for years. That's my new hobby.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I think it'll be great if you're a thrift store/garage sale person. Everyday there's some kid who decides he wants game X and goes in and trades a bunch of old games for a few bucks credit. If they can't trade them in anymore, they'll just sit around the house and eventually make their way to yard sales or thrift stores. Let the searching begin!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    I think it'll be great if you're a thrift store/garage sale person. Everyday there's some kid who decides he wants game X and goes in and trades a bunch of old games for a few bucks credit. If they can't trade them in anymore, they'll just sit around the house and eventually make their way to yard sales or thrift stores. Let the searching begin!
    Or the trash.

Pretzel (Level 4) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

Guess I should be glad I got my Dreamcast there while they still had them...

I suppose I'll have to make a final trip over there this weekend and see if there's any NES stuff I want before it disappears. It's getting hard enough for me to find some of those carts...but I suppose I can always shift to Goodwill and the weekly flea market when I want a challenge.

I understand their reasons for this decision, but for God's sake, they're a game store...you'd think they'd at least consider taking the loss if only to show how "hardcore" they are. Game Crazy's ads are proud of the fact that they carry literally everything (save for Atari, but I suppose that is pushing it).

Thankfully, we also have enough independent game stores in my town that don't rape their customers for supposedly "rare" stuff like Zelda or Mario. All hail the small business owners!
    Active systems owned: Wii, X360, PS3
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS
    Systems wanted: Coleco, 7800, TG16, GG, 3DS, Vita, WiiU

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

The Gamestop here at the mall in Atlanta had ONE Dreamcast game last time I checked. I asked the guy at the counter if they had discontinued it (this was last week, so he must not have heard about the directive.) He said that someone had bought out all the DC games and that they hardly ever got any in since people hung onto their DC games.

People like to buy out entire stocks of DC games, hang onto the games they have, and sell their DC games rarely... by all means lets discontinue selling games for a system with a rabid fan base!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Honestly, GS had had a 30% off sale on DC games since Christmas. Someone prolly took advantage of it and bought them all out. The reason DC games are rarely traded in at GS is due to the fact that most of the games are worth $1-$2, unless they're top tier titles like Sonic, etc., then they're worth $5-$8 apiece.

I'm still rather frustrated with this whole ostracism of systems, I think I'll send off an Email to corporate this evening via our POS system.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

My manager told me this yesterday also...but what gets me is this...Theres only 2 bins in the store for older games, and then you have 3 shelves of DVDS! You have a ton of accessory racks, etc. and after all that even with the new systems and the newer ones still coming out im pretty sure they can make room in the store for these 2 bins.

Its ridiculous...I bet when they do get rid of them...there will be nothing on the floor to replace the missing bins. I think they just want to get rid of them...not becuase they want to make room for new games or anything, they just WANT TO GET RID OF THEM...probably cause there too old they think.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

It's not the end of the world guys and gals. Don't worry about it!

If people can't sell the games to Gamestop (or EB, or Microplay) then they'll just sell them to pawn shops instead. Or independent places. Or they'll donate them to thrift places. You'll still be able to get them.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As somebody else mentioned, I don't like those stupid fuc*ing stickers they put all over there games. And besides that, they also stopped put the cartridges in those cardboards sleeves, the stores around me one day just decided to stop stacking the games, MEATLY in their sleeves, and just threw them all in a metal bin, without the sleeves. I stopped buying my retro stuff their about 3 years ago.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    Flack has a point. A big point. In some ways, this is actually better! Ought to make garage sale season this year much better!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NintendoMan
    MEATLY in their sleeves
    - I think you meant NEATLY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I can understand dropping Genesis games. They don't seem to have the brand appeal that Nintendo has for some reason.

If they want to drop the older titles they should do an inventory to see where the games sell best and funnel the remaining old game stock to those locations. The EB here in Sheboygan sold NES games like hot cakes. These games weren't cheap either and Sheboyganites thrive on cheap prices. I see adults and young teens flipping through the NES or SNES carts and gleefully carting up a handfull to the counter. One gal I talked said she just got a NES and bought 5 $9 to $15 carts without batting an eye (I remember DK Classics was one of the $15 carts). I've seen SMBs go for $10. Crazy.

Now if people are willing to pay that kind of cash for classics when Gamestop probably pays $0.25 to $5 a cart for trade it'd be a gold mine...in the places where classics sell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

I highly doubt there will be a sale. I was around when Funco made the decision to discontinue dealing in Saturn equipment (games, accessories, etc.) Was there a sale then? No. They just continued selling them at the prices they were at and the stock dwindled because people couldn't trade them in. No fire sales, no B2G1 free, nadda.

I can only imagine our gondola's will be filled with more toys and a month later, those toys will have 50% off stickers and the company will loose more money on it.

Yeah, I'm disheartened about it, but at the same time, this decision will keep more money in my wallet because I usually only buy the classics when I work. I buy new when there's a B2G1 free sale since there's been one just about every quarter for the past year.

Looks like it's time to stick my card in the hands of more patrons looking to turn in their old stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy
    It's not the end of the world guys and gals. Don't worry about it!

If people can't sell the games to Gamestop (or EB, or Microplay) then they'll just sell them to pawn shops instead. Or independent places. Or they'll donate them to thrift places. You'll still be able to get them.
    Hold on there a minute, Nature Boy. Not everyone HAS places like that nearby. Like me. It's either GS/EB or eBay or nothing. Take away my GS/EB and what have I got left? A pocket full of money and.. wait.. maybe it is a good idea....... nah.. Keep the games I say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default kids

Actually, this bodes well for flea market hunters. It makes it harder for vendors to price stuff, since they don't have any local store frame of reference.

It also means that games of value will be at your local market because all those updated gamers won't have traded in their stuff at the reasonably accessible Gamestops.

It DOES mean more games at reasonable prices, but it may not, in the end, mean more games. For me, it's positive, because I've bought so little classic stuff at those stores compared to other sources.

Whoever said that kids going in to trade in their old stuff (older brothers? fathers?) at funco was most accurate. Kid A has no cash. Kid A digs for something to trade/sell. Kid A takes pile of stuff to funco hoping for a buck or two. Kid A gets awarded $18 for large amount of stuff. Kid A very happy to get a used GBA game or Xbox game out of it. Funco turns around and sells games for $100. Everyone's happy? I dunno.

-ian

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

I can't sell these old games at my store either however I never let that bother me.

YAY

This is good news for the small game stores who do carry these games.

Adam

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dave2236
    YES, thats awesome......in the business world, thats like shooting yourself in the foot and then tripping on the gun and shooting the other leg.

I know most of you guys are dissapointed, but this is good news for me.

word