Thread: Yet another chain-store closeout...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Yet another chain-store closeout...

In the wake of last month's Ultimate Electronics (formerly Audio King) 50% off PS2 sale (Don't know if it's still going on- checking today), last Fri at CompUSA they had a big bin & table of discount games- most were $15:

WarHammer 40K: Fire Warrior (PS2)
    Gladiator: SoV (PS2)
    Aggressive Inline Skating(? PS2)
    Eternal Darkness (GC)

were some. Had Xbox titles too but I didnt pay attention to them.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

look for tower records gmes to come down in price. Maybe at the 20% mark they will match the prices of gamestop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got back from an Ultimate Electronics store I dont often frequent- thought I'd check out their PS2 games compared to my usual closer store. I chose:

Kinetica $30 ($15 w/ 50% discount)
    WipeOut Fusion $50!!! ($25 w/ discount)
    Ratchet & Clank GH $40 ($20 w/ discount)

I know- before you say anything, I told the clerk(s) GH titles are $20 (& less!) ANYWHERE else, & R&C SHOULD be $20 ($10 w/ their discount). I also said WO: F was WAY overpriced & could be had for less than $20 used. I offered to pay these prices- they could've made a sale at least! They basically said they had to go w/ the computer's prices- what THEY acquired the games for in the first place. I said their inflated prices were probably the reason they weren't selling & the reason for the sale in the first place!

At one point I had 4 clerks ganged up on me- one kept walking away a few feet & coming back. It never got loud or out of control, but after the 3rd time explaining to them their games were overpriced, I decided to cut it short, said thanks, & left empty-handed. I went to a closer UE store & got Extermination ($15, been looking for it) & RUNE ($10) from their well picked-over selection. Unfortunately, some poor sap paid $25 for the WO: F I saw there last month.

Since when does "overpriced" equal "high-end"?
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RJ
    Since when does "overpriced" equal "high-end"?
    I worked there for two years starting May 2001. A few months later, they started selling Playstation stuff as an extremely minor side market, and the selection has always been minimal, and prices are typically high, but they will price match locally. They just need to call the competitor and verify availability and price.

As for "high end" Playstation games...there are none, so that point doesn't apply there. What they are referring to is premium end products like amps, speakers, TVs etc etc with brands that many retailers don't carry (Krell, Kef, Martin Logan, etc etc).

Also you'll find that nothing is over priced, rather competitivley priced. And if you can find it somewhere locally for cheaper, again, they will price match it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nothing is over priced, rather competitively priced.
    There's nothing "competitive" in selling a somewhat dated title for $50 when I've NEVER seen it anywhere else for so much, & less than HALF that used.

Nor in selling a "Greatest Hits"-labeled title for $39.95 when it can be found for no more than $20 elsewhere. I kept saying "it should be $20" (w/out the discount). They kept insisting "it IS!!!" (w/ the discount).

There may have been a definite lack of communication on their part, but I'm sure they simply wouldn't admit their games were/are overpriced- hence their 50% off sale.

the selection has always been minimal
    when I first saw the sale announced last month, the flagship store had quite an extensive collection- I got 3 games & left Splinter Cell, War of the Monsters, & RUNE there just so my wife wouldn't freak!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would only go to UE if the games where free. That place sucks!!! Their stuff is over priced and not really all that high end. Maybe high end Sony and Pioneer but not high end over all. There is no such thing as a high end audio video chain store. If you live in the Phoenix Valley go to Sounds Like Music for some real high end goods!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RJ
    nothing is over priced, rather competitively priced.
    There's nothing "competitive" in selling a somewhat dated title for $50 when I've NEVER seen it anywhere else for so much, & less than HALF that used.

Nor in selling a "Greatest Hits"-labeled title for $39.95 when it can be found for no more than $20 elsewhere. I kept saying "it should be $20" (w/out the discount). They kept insisting "it IS!!!" (w/ the discount).

There may have been a definite lack of communication on their part, but I'm sure they simply wouldn't admit their games were/are overpriced- hence their 50% off sale.

the selection has always been minimal
    when I first saw the sale announced last month, the flagship store had quite an extensive collection- I got 3 games & left Splinter Cell, War of the Monsters, & RUNE there just so my wife wouldn't freak!
    I can't say for sure because I'm not sisko himself, but I'm pretty sure he was referencing their high end components. TV's, amps, and speakers as he mentioned being competitive. If you follow the flow of his post you will notice by the time he mentions competitive prices, he's already stated that the games were insanely high priced and evolved into the other end of their retailing market. I don't think anybody with half a brain cell would claim that a GH game for $39.95 is competitive....but, don't quote me on it, some nimrod probably thinks it is.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Speakeing of High pricing. Just to give everyone a heads up. Gamestop goes by regional pricing. EX: In Hawaii games are 5-10 dollars more expensive than in Minnesota. I have seen PS2 Greatest hits all the way to 34.99 at my local store.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@nesuser2: hmm- my whole initial post/rant was on PS2 games, so I thought sisko referenced that too. When sisko says the selection's minimal, that's right after/in the same sentence mentioning games (but looking back, it may mean their merch in general).

Also, in my post, I don't refer to any PS2 games as "high-end"- but maybe that's the conclusion sisko drew...apologies if I misunderstood the post, or misused the quotes!

BTW- got Wipeout: Fusion today used (in new cond)- $9, the first place I went. They had 2 of them. I paid UNDER 1/5 what UE wanted (before their discount).

Take THAT, UE suckas!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just pointing out my personal POV, not trying to throw it in anybodies face if that's what it looked like

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's cool- no apology/explanation necessary.

Isn't it written in stone/blood somewhere that PS2 games go GH after so many sold (400K?) & after so long (6 months?) at a DEFINITE price of $20?