Thread: Next Generation?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Default Next Generation?

There's been news of the "next generation" consoles, such as the X-Box 2.

But, do YOU actually want this? Or do you think the current consoles have not been around long enough to justify this?

How are these decisions made?

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Default Re: Next Generation?

Quote Originally Posted by Aswald
    But, do YOU actually want this?
    Nope.

I don't think the next set of machines will be impressive enough to warrant buying them... certainly not for $300 or whatever they plan on charging. The current systems already have amazing graphics, and the games are getting better all the time. I think we're getting to the point now where the limit on a game's quality and appearance is not the systems hardware, but the skill of the programmers, and the time they're given to do their job.

Granted, the next generation will probably feature some niceties like better progressive scan support, or better network support, or Tivo functions... but I don't care about most of that stuff. I'd rather they just keep making games for the current systems, and push the "next generation" a year or two into the future.

The only thing I can think of that would interest me in buying a new console is if it were able to provide something unique that wasn't possible with what I already have. A color Virtual Boy would be right up my alley, and I'll be keeping an eye on the DS... but if all systems are going to do is push more polygons, then forget about it. Heck, the Dreamcast pushes enough polygons to make the games beautiful in my opinion.

I'm sure there will eventually be a game or two released that will make the new systems "must-have's"... which is too bad, because I'm sure anything the N5 will be able to do could be easily done on a Gamecube with very little detail sacrificed. Buying a new system simply because that's what the developers have moved to seems like a crappy, artificial reason to me (although I guess that's why I bought my Gamecube despite having a Dreamcast).

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can honestly say I have zero interest in any of the news regarding the next generation of game consoles. I have to admit this is a first. There is only one game that would really peak my interest in a new system and it is not a Zelda or FF or Mario game. It would be a truly kick ass Star Wars game. I have enjoyed most of the Star Wars titles on the Xbox and they have rekindled my interest in the games again. Especially the Jedi Knight series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I look at this way: The quicker the new systems come out, the quicker the current systems get traded in and cost $30! I doubt I will ever buy a current generation system.

We should never say "The current systems are good enough. Why would we ever need more?" Look at Bill Gates famous quote "640 KB should be enough for anybody." :P
    Need. More. Games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The irony is that at least the developers at Nintendo have stated that the Gamecube gives them more than enough power for any project they want to work on right now. I think another leap forward in technology will only focus the attention back on graphics when they need to be focusing on gameplay experiences.

Though I do think the PS3 needs to come out. PS2's age is really starting to show.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default All good points, count me out.

I dont see the next generation of system generating the buzz that the companies making them want. Lets face it, creativity in the game market is all but DEAD. What you have is a market full of movie tie-ins and sequels. How long can a company ride on a specific icon before the ideas are all but used up? For me, I enjoy all video game systems, and am an avid researcher of video game history. I agree with alot of posts on this thread. I see this next bach of systems going in the wrong direction already. Who gives a crap about what ELSE their PS3 does other then play games? Are you ready to cough up 300 bones for it? I am not. I bought a Gamecube the day it came out, and enjoyed the crap out of it. I bought a PS2 the day it came out and it was just OK. I waited on the Xbox and saved a TON of money. I look back and wonder is it really worth it buying on launch day? I think the market is a least going towards a correction...too many average joe games and not enough origional ideas. It can only go so far before the public says no with their pocketbooks and play what they have. Games are far from going away, but I DO believe a recession will come, its only a matter of time.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default All good points, count me out.

I dont see the next generation of system generating the buzz that the companies making them want. Lets face it, creativity in the game market is all but DEAD. What you have is a market full of movie tie-ins and sequels. How long can a company ride on a specific icon before the ideas are all but used up? For me, I enjoy all video game systems, and am an avid researcher of video game history. I agree with alot of posts on this thread. I see this next bach of systems going in the wrong direction already. Who gives a crap about what ELSE their PS3 does other then play games? Are you ready to cough up 300 bones for it? I am not. I bought a Gamecube the day it came out, and enjoyed the crap out of it. I bought a PS2 the day it came out and it was just OK. I waited on the Xbox and saved a TON of money. I look back and wonder is it really worth it buying on launch day? I think the market is a least going towards a correction...too many average joe games and not enough origional ideas. It can only go so far before the public says no with their pocketbooks and play what they have. Games are far from going away, but I DO believe a recession will come, its only a matter of time.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NExt generation can suck my cock...
    Midwest