Thread: What should be my 20 Most Wanted Saturn Imports? Help!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What should be my 20 Most Wanted Saturn Imports? Help!

Ok guys, I had another thread that alot of people helped me out on. I'm starting this new thread just so I can organzie my thoughts and not get confused.

Basically, I'm trying to determine what are the 20 to 25 import Saturn games that I should focus on acquiring first. Of course to determine this, you must know what my favorite genre's are. And then see if any of the best Saturn imports happen to be in one of my favorite genre's.

Here are my favorite genres:

1. Run and Jump Mario type games - Super Mario World is my favorite game of all time. Basically I love the mascot run and jump type games. The closest thing I can think of to Run and Jump type games that I've played on the Saturn are: Astal, Clockwork Knight 1 and 2, Bug! 1 and 2, Sonic 3D Blast. That's about it, as far as I can think in terms of games that were released in the U.S. for the Saturn.

2. Action/Adventure - I'm talking about games like Castlevania and Contra and stuff like that. The closest I can think of a game like that on the Saturn would be Skeleton Warriors. Castlevania 4 and Contra 3 on the SNES are two of my all time favorite.

3. Action/RPG - I'm talking about Zelda:Link to the Past on SNES, Dungeon Explorer on the Turbo, Crusader of Centi on the Genny. Stuff like that. Stuff that is much more Action than RPG, but it does have some RPG elements. Usually with a overhead view. The only game I can think of on the Saturn that would be like this would be Shining Wisdom.

4. Sports - I love football games (american football, not soccer). Basketball games, Baseball games, track and Field, Boxing Tennis, etc, etc. My favorites are John Madden 93 on the Genesis, NBA Live 95 on the SNES, World Class Baseball on the Turbo, International Track & Field on PSX, Evander Hollyfield Real Deal on the Genny, Super Tennis on the SNES, etc, etc. Of course, most of these types of games would have been released in the U.S., so I wouldn't think there would be any Saturn imports that I would be looking for. Although there could be a really good Baseball game released for the Saturn in Japan that never made it to the U.S.

5. Shooters - R-Type, Axelay, Gradius, Gaiares, etc, etc. Now I know that Saturn has tons of these puppies. My favorites are the ones that are horizontal and side scrolling. I don't mind the vertical ones, but I like the horizontal ones better. Shooters like Darius and Galactic Attack.

6. Racing type games - Games like F-Zero, Wipeout, Daytona, Sega Rally, etc, etc,. Basically any racing game that is really really good. I love the hell out of Sega Rally. I also like both Daytona's.

7. 3-D flying/shooting - Games like Starfox, Total Eclipse, Panzer Dragoon, etc, etc.

8. 2D Fighting games - Games like Street Fighter 2 and stuff like that. I know the Saturn had tons of these puppies. But I would only be interested in the absolute cream of the crop. And if the Saturn version was better than the PSX version. I would rather get the PSX version, if the PSX version is better.

9. Any Super Great games that don't fit into the above categories - Like Nights into Dreams.

Anyways, those are the genre's that I like. Now I will try to list 20 Saturn Imports that I should focus on, but please help me out if you think that I left out one that really should be on the list above some that I have on the list. Thanks.

Here is my list:

1. Tryrush Deppy - I don't know a damn thing about this game other than the fact that it is supposedly one of the best Platformers not released in the U.S.

2. Keio Yuugekitai - Again, I don't really know much about this game. I have seen a spread on it in a Die Hard Game Fan issue, and it looks pretty cool. Platformers are my favorites, so I would think this would rank high for me.

3. Radiant Silvergun - Obviously the mother of all shooters should be on my list.

4. Willy Wombat - I haven't seen this game mentioned, but it looks like a cutsey run and jump mario type game. So I would think I would love this.

5. Steamgear Mash - I don't know much of anything about this game. But I've heard that it is a platformer.

6. Princess Crown - I've heard that this is a really weird game but that it does kinda fit into the Action/Adventure category

7. Battle Garrega - I've heard that this is a must have shooter.

8. Wonder 3 - I heard that there is one game on this disk that is a platform game that I would like

9. Metal Slug- I've heard that this is kinda like Contra on Crack. I've also heard that the Saturn version is the best besides the Neo Geo version

10. Don Pachi - I've heard this is a must have shooter

11. Elevator Action Returns - I've heard this is a good platform shooter. I don't know anything about it.

12. Wrinkle River Story - Don't know a damn thing about it, but I've heard it's a good action/RPG.

13. Cotton 2 - I've heard this is a great shooter

14. Do Don Pachi - I've heard this is a platformer

15. Power Drift - I've heard this is a classic racing game

16. Sega Touring Car - Did this come out in the U.S.?

17. Shienryu - I've heard this is a good shooter

18. Silhouette Mirage - I've heard this is a 2D Treasure classic

19. Strikers 1945 2 - I've heard this is a good shooter. Is 2 better than 1?

20. Thunder Force V - I've heard this is a great shooter

21. Twinkle Star Sprites - I've heard this is a good shooter, but i do have the Dreamcast version, don't know if I really need the Saturn version

22. Vampire Savior - I've heard this is a good fighting game.

Anyways, these are some that I can come up with. But if you see a game on my list and you know of another game in the same genre that is much, much better, please let me know. Thanks.

- Anthony

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's a good list to start, but be careful spending a bunch of money due to hype (see RS). It's a great game, but is it really worth the $$ it commands? I don't think so. You could have a couple of great shooters for the price of just that one title.

I think you mean "Metal Slug" not Metal Gear and Sega Touring Car did come out in the US.

I'll put what I would choose once I complie my list.
    What have you done America?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: What should be my 20 Most Wanted Saturn Imports? Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Are we thinking of the same game here? Last I checked DDP was an overhead shooter of some considerable quality. Could be wrong of course.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you've got Vampire Savior on your list, you might as well add Xmen vs SF, and/or Marvel vs SF (which has the hidden charcter not seen in the US arcades), as they are both awesome games and will need the 4meg cart also. Unless of course, you hate them. They are almost true arcade ports.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: What should be my 20 Most Wanted Saturn Imports? Help!

1. Tryrush Deppy - I don't know a damn thing about this game other than the fact that it is supposedly one of the best Platformers not released in the U.S.

2. Keio Yuugekitai - Again, I don't really know much about this game. I have seen a spread on it in a Die Hard Game Fan issue, and it looks pretty cool. Platformers are my favorites, so I would think this would rank high for me.
    These are both good, although I think Keio is far superior to Tryrush Deppy. Honestly, I've not given Tryrush a fair go yet (just a few stages). Keio's got 2 shooter stages to boot, and is a very well-polished game. One of the best for the system, and good enough to earn Rami a spot on Japanese Gaming for the last couple of years.

5. Steamgear Mash - I don't know much of anything about this game. But I've heard that it is a platformer.
    I played this a LOOONG time ago. I'm going out on a limb here, but the closest thing I can relate it to is Purikura Daisakusen (which is also a great game). Anyone else care to comment?

6. Princess Crown - I've heard that this is a really weird game but that it does kinda fit into the Action/Adventure category
    Yes, the gameplay is a bit weird, as it's not a true action/RPG, but that's the best way to describe it. It's very good, get it. It will cost you a lot though.

8. Wonder 3 - I heard that there is one game on this disk that is a platform game that I would like
    This is true, and it's a pretty good one. The shooter and puzzle game aren't half bad either.

9. Metal Slug- I've heard that this is kinda like Contra on Crack. I've also heard that the Saturn version is the best besides the Neo Geo version
    Yeah, and PSX people say that the PSX version is the best. There's not enough difference to bitch about it to be honest. The Saturn version will cost you much more though.

11. Elevator Action Returns - I've heard this is a good platform shooter. I don't know anything about it.
    If you like the original, you'll like this one. Just expect much better graphics. You can check it out on MAME before you buy it. This one isn't very cheap either.

Overhead shooter -- sequel to Donpachi.

15. Power Drift - I've heard this is a classic racing game
    Kind of a sleeper. I loved it though, and the Saturn version is great.

18. Silhouette Mirage - I've heard this is a 2D Treasure classic
    I think it's great. Gameplay takes a bit of getting used to, but fun in the long run.

21. Twinkle Star Sprites - I've heard this is a good shooter, but i do have the Dreamcast version, don't know if I really need the Saturn version
    Go to Japanese Gaming, download the intro FMV. That's all you're missing. If you really dig platform games, you should stick Super Tempo on there as well.

HTH
    GP
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GaijinPunch: Hey, thanks for all the tips on the Saturn imports. In regards to how much these imports cost, I have to admit that I'm one of those sleeze bags that will get the backup versions.

I'm just not into enough to be paying ridiculous sums of cash to get these games off of Ebay. I'm not a collector, so they don't have any value to me from a collection standpoint. I'm just a gamer, and I just want to check out the games, and play them. I justify it from a standpoint that the Saturn is a long since dead system, and that the developers that originally created the art wouldn't see any of the money any damn ways. Only some dude on Ebay trying to take me for all the money I've got. I've bought tons of original Saturn games on Ebay, but when the games get above say $15 per game, I go the backup route.

Yeah, that would qualify me as a Scum Bag that plays pirated software, and I admit to it. However, even Scum Bags have their limits. I personally do not at all condone piracy of any of the current systems game libraries. (i.e. GameCube, PS2 and XBOX). But when it comes to the old dead systems, I don't really care too much anymore.

In fact, I'm so cheap that I don't even like paying $2.00 per disk to get these old games. I think they should only be like a buck. I know that you can download them, but I'm just not very good with the PC and downloading stuff and putting it on CD the right way and all that.

Oh, by the way, if by talking about this I get this thread locked, I'm sorry. I'm not asking anybody for import backups and I'm not selling any import backups, I'm just saying that this is how I get mine cause I'm just too cheap.

- Anthony

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tryrush Deppy: Remember the old MGM cartoons where a family of automobiles raised a little baby car? It's kind of like those. You play as an animated taxi cab, wheeling your way through side-scrolling levels while fighting cartoon cars and trucks.

Keio Yuugekitai: A fun, unapologetically Japanese platformer with fantastic graphics, spectacular sound, and... average gameplay. The level designs are fairly clever, but they're no match for what you'll find in a good Mario game.

Radiant Silvergun: It truly is the best vertically scrolling shooter ever made. It's got awesome graphics (especially by Saturn standards), a memorable soundtrack, and the most complete gameplay of any shooter I've ever played. You're given a variety of weapons right from the start, so you never have to worry about having the wrong one at the wrong time.

Willy Wombat: Lackluster 3D platformer featuring what seems to be a vampire (wom)bat. It plays well enough but it just seemed kind of dull and uneventful.

Wonder 3: AKA Three Wonders, a good Saturn translation of an arcade release featuring three different games. The first is a fun platformer with the fast action of Metal Slug and the gorgeously colorful graphics of an early 90's Capcom game. The second is a pretty good shooter with a unique look and equally unusual play mechanics. The third is basically warmed over Pengo (or should I say Higemaru?) with cutesy characters.

Metal Slug: A very good translation of the Neo-Geo game, but somewhat overrated as a Saturn release. Contrary to what you'll hear elsewhere, it's not a perfect port, with more slowdown than the arcade game and slightly less animation. Believe it or not, the Playstation version is almost as good.

Don Pachi: Skip this one and go directly to Do Don Pachi. It's ten times the game its predecessor was.

Elevator Action Returns: It has little in common with the original Elevator Action aside from the elevators. You could just as easily call it a sequel to Rolling Thunder. It's still an excellent game, though.

Wrinkle River Story: I'm not sure about this one either, but I do wanna play it. Whatever you do, DON'T call it Linkle Liver Story... only complete idiots (ie Nick Rox) call it that!

Cotton 2: It's a decent shooter, but you may be more interested in Cotton Boomerang. It's a tag-team shooter, if you can believe it... when you get in trouble, you simply press the CHANGE button to swap characters. This has the added benefit of wiping out all onscreen enemies.

Do Don Pachi: It's not a platformer, but a greatly improved sequel to Don Pachi. Definitely snag this one if you can find it.

Power Drift: A kart racing game which predates Super Mario Kart. However, it lacks the freedom of movement that the Mario Kart series has, looking and playing a little more like Out Run.

Shienryu: Purely average shooter inspired by Raiden II. Don't bother with the Saturn version... just buy Geki-Oh! Shooting King instead for your Playstation. It's the same game with a couple of added features.

Silhouette Mirage: Don't believe the hype... this game sucks in a big way. It's a little like Gunstar Heroes but with the unwelcome addition of a character who's blue on one side and red on the other. When Silhouette is blue, she can kill red enemies, and vice versa. Unfortunately, that cripples your character... you HAVE to be on the left-hand side of some enemies to hurt them. This becomes very tedious, very frustrating, and very stupid very quickly.

Twinkle Star Sprites: A great versus shooter no matter what system you play it on. I've heard the Saturn version is the best of the bunch.

Vampire Savior: An acceptable sequel to NightWarriors, but frankly I liked that game better. All the new stuff added to the game doesn't improve it... the new backgrounds are dull (with only a couple of exceptions), the music is entirely inappropriate (repetitive techno, in a battle of the cheesy movie monsters? Uh, no), and I can't stress enough how much I hate the Killer Instinct-inspired round system. Also, some of the characters have had their fighting styles altered, effectively neutering them. Bishamon was awesome in the first two games, but he's just no fun to use in Vampire Savior.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not sure if you're interested in older type of games, but I hear Konami's MSX antiques collection is a good compilation with 30 games on it. I've played most of Konami's msx games on emus and they're pretty good. If I had a Saturn I would try to hunt one down. (I suppose one of these days I really should pick up a Saturn)

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by ManekiNeko
    Silhouette Mirage: Don't believe the hype... this game sucks in a big way. It's a little like Gunstar Heroes but with the unwelcome addition of a character who's blue on one side and red on the other. When Silhouette is blue, she can kill red enemies, and vice versa. Unfortunately, that cripples your character... you HAVE to be on the left-hand side of some enemies to hurt them. This becomes very tedious, very frustrating, and very stupid very quickly.
    I have to toss in my two cents about SA as well, even though I've only played the Working Designs-released PSX version. I was disappointed with it. Yeah, it's got a lot of what Treasure is known for, namely ultra heavy doses of wackiness and originality, but in this case it gets on the way, like MN described. It can be very frustrating at times... and why WD chose to INCREASE the difficulty for the U.S. release is beyond me. I'd definitely rate SM as one of my least favorite Treasure games.

Radiant Silvergun, on the other hand - get it. If you can get it cheap, great, but no matter what, definitely get it.

The Konami Antiques MSX Ultra Pack is a nifty little disc to have too, especially if you like Gradius, as all of the MSX Gradius games are on it. Don;t look for the "huge" Konami MSX games though, like Vampire Killer, Contra, SD Snatcher or either Metal Gear - they aren't on the disc.