Quote Originally Posted by NE146
The REAL question was:

GENESIS VS. TURBOGRAFX-16 - WHICH ONE DID YOU BUY?

I'm sure a bunch of us remember the launch periods in that eventful year (1989?) It seemed the Turbografx and the Genesis were launched almost at the same time!

It made for some agony at the store while sitting there checking out both tasty newfangled and powerful consoles. On one counter we had the Genesis.. with Altered Beast so arcade perfect it seemed. Then on the other we had the Turbografx, with Keith Courage on demo play but with such sweet titles like Blazing Lazers right there at launch.

If I recall correctly they were both about 200 bucks. I chose Genesis and loved it. But I so wanted a TG-16 as well. And since I was a young, dumb and drunk college kid, I made up for it a week later by going back to the store and shoplifting a tg-16 system.

So, which did YOU choose?
I read about the TG-16 as well and saw the commercials but what I saw didn't really trip my trigger. The games weren't what I was looking for and even though it had pretty graphics it just looked like some average NES games playing expensive dress up. Also the TG-16 was NOT available in my county. None of the discounter stores had it and my family hardly ever went to the "big cities" like Milwaukee, Green Bay or Appleton. So Genesis, besides my built up hype, was really the only choice.

I DID buy a TG-16 in 1991 (pretty sure it was 1991). Park and Save, a fairly big grocery store chain, was one of the only stores that had a video department that took chances. Not only did they have NES and Genesis but they also had TG-16 games to rent. Eventually the store sold off its TG-16 stuff and a buddy of mine picked one up along with Military Madness and I think Blazing Lasers. My next door neighbor got to playing it and wanted one bad because he wanted to play Veigues (sp?) Tactical Gladiator after reading about it in a magazine. So he ordered his through Chips n' Bits when the "Buy a TG-16 get a game free" deal was going on. I think he was actually lucky and got V.T.G. I also jumped on the deal (I think the TG-16 was lowered to $150, I don't remember) and bought mine and got Ordyne as my free game. However after some play I wasn't very impressed and the system just sat and eventually I sold to an acquaintance of mine.