Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What Games Were Better on Genesis Than on SNES?

Pretzel (Level 4) Goodwill Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RoboCop vs. Terminator on the Genesisi is second only to Gunstar Heroes in terms of favorite platformer/shooter. Great weapons, great sound, excellent gameplay, and a great set of hidden features that make the game a real treat.. I remember trying the game on the SNES and not getting the same experience.

RC vs. T is all scrolling 2D on the Genny, and I think they tried to do some manner of 3D levels on the SNES that felt like it broke up the flow of the game too much. I definitely didn't give the SNES version as much of a chance as the Genesis version in terms of time, but maybe that's the best indication of which version I preferred.

Rich
    Tomorrow's Past is Yesterday's Future Today!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think that Shadowrun should be on this list. The SNES and Genesis versions are two entirely different games based on the same liscence. They really should have had different titles.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Fatghost28
    Samurai Shodown on the Genny was better than the SNES version, the SNES version had fully scaled out sprites (they were tiny) while the Genny had fully scaled in sprites (they were huge, but the Genny didn't have Earthquake).
    Agreed with this.

But the Genesis Street Fighters were poorly done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As a general rule, the Genesis was better at fast-paced arcade and sports games. EA Sports, Sonic, Gunstar Heroes, Herzog Zwei. That sort of thing. The Super NES was much better with RPG's and the slower-paced adventure games -- think Super Metroid, Mario, Zelda, everything by Square.

Of course, Genesis had Phantasy Star 2 & 4, and the SNES had Contra 3 and Castlevania 4. But those are typically the exceptions.

I remember that the SNES Mortal Kombat 2 was by far the better version (the best home version on any console), and Pac-Man 2 also looked and sounded much better on Nintendo. SF2 was another common sight: the Genesis version had more animation, but the SNES had much better audio (no scratchy voices - ugh). A lot of third-party games followed that rule, too.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice
    Samurai Shodown on the Genny was better than the SNES version, the SNES version had fully scaled out sprites (they were tiny) while the Genny had fully scaled in sprites (they were huge, but the Genny didn't have Earthquake).
    Agreed with this.

It was all about that wonderful 6 button genny pad man...I couldn't go back to my SNES after that.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

Aaahh!!! Real Monsters is better on the Genesis... it's made for 3 buttons.
    Egbert, I miss you...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Populous <---most definetely better on Genesis. Almost an identical port of the pc version.

I'm not sure what happened to the SNES port, but it looked like it was over filtered and drug through the mud. The sound, and control was all wrong too. It just didn't have the same vibe.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus
    I liked Toy Story more on the genesis, personally.
    Agreed. It seemed to play better to me. I also agree on MK1 and Aladdin being better on the Genny. Personally I prefered the Lion King on Genny.

Pretzel (Level 4) Goodwill Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Thomas
    I remember that the SNES Mortal Kombat 2 was by far the better version (the best home version on any console)
    Gotta call ya' on that one...as much as people like to rip the 32x, MK II on that system looked and played great...I'm sure in a head to head, it would perform all kinds of fatalities on the SNES version.

Rich
    Tomorrow's Past is Yesterday's Future Today!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tynstar
    Any EA sports game is better on the Genesis. Don't really remember the others. I was always a Genesis person.
    I would disagree. I think EA sports games from 96-98 are better on the SNES...because of the more detail and colors. 95 and before I would agree, as SNES NHL 95 (although more colorful) runs really slow as compared to the GENESIS NHL 95. But comparing both system's NHL 98....SNES all the way.

needs food badly. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Schlimtor
    PSN
    Schlimtor

I think it's unfair to compare certain games like Aladdin, Animaniacs, and Sparkster to name a few. Because these games were completely different from one another with different gameplay features... there was no porting involved. Take Aladdin for instance. The Genesis version was done by Virgin Interactive with Al jumping around with a sword, and the SNES version was done by Capcom with Al bouncing on enemies and throwing apples. Hence, you have two completely different gameplay variations, and thus incomparable games. And personally, I like both of them. However, games like The Lion King are indeed comparable because they were developed by the same company and share the same gameplay features... so are, henceforth, the same game on both systems. Speaking of that, my vote goes to the SNES version. Better sound, better sound effects, better music, more vibrant colors, better voice. It just beat the holy crap outta the Genesis version. For example, look at the endings. At the end of the SNES version, the screen turns black and The Lion King title explodes into view in a loud BOOM... just like the movie. In the Genesis version however, the screen stays with Simba on Pride Rock, and then The Lion King title just kinda appears above him with a sound that resembles a cardboard box being dropped onto a carpet rug. SNES wins... it displayed much more power.

As far as sports games go, I can't see how EA Sports games were better on Genesis. I've played both, and SNES versions have much better sound and better features... not to mention a MUCH better controller with more buttons. Come to think of it, I can't think of any games that were better on Genesis unless they were exclusive to the system... and that's pretty much the reason I bought a Genesis... to get the games I couldn't own on a SNES. The only reason I own any Genesis sports games is cuz I got them in an ebay lot. Didn't really want em, but I wasn't gonna turn em down... although I do like Sports Talk Baseball and Football... but those aren't comparable cuz they weren't on SNES.

Not to knock the Genesis or anything, as it's a great system. I just always turn to the SNES's superior graphics, sound, and controller when playing games that were on both.
    "Red Warrior needs food badly."

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe a few people mentioned beavis and butthead, the genesis version is MUCH better, there's a much deeper story type/mode / feel. Extra missions, gain cash to buy extra stuff, etc.

Robocop vs. terminator also mentioned, by far one of the best genny games out there: haven't tried the snes version but if it's any different I'm sure it doesn't even compare

Can't think of anymore right now but I could rant on forever about genny exclusive titles..

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I definitely prefer the Genesis versions of Aladdin and Earthworm Jim.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

I will also agree about MKI

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice
    Agreed with this.

I agree so much about Fatal Fury and Samurai Shodown, they were closer to the AES verison in character sprites. Plus, there was no real problem without Earthquake imho

Rocket Knight Adventures and Sparkster were beautiful on Genesis

Sports games, oh ya, Genesis was king in that department by a land slide

Aladdin on Genesis beats SNES verison any day of the week

Yet for some reason, I perfer SF2 Special CE on Genny over SNES Due to the control scheme
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nevermind

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I prefer the Genesis version of Doom Troopers over the SNES game. It just seems to control better, and the graphics look about the same on either platform.

Also, Prince of Persia is pretty different between the two systems. The SNES version is better overall, as it adds more areas and the like, but the Genesis version actually has nicer graphics in my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sunset Riders is a really tough call to be honest.

The SNES version is really more like the arcade but the music is off. It did have all the cool little speech from the villians though.

However, the Genesis version has much better music as I always thought the Genny music sounded more like the arcade. The Genesis version is also about 2x longer than the SNES version as the levels were all much larger, and there were more bosses in the Genesis version.

So my overall decision is that I feel the Genesis port of Sunset Riders is better simply because I always felt I got more of my moneys worth from it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Genesis version of Soldiers of Fortune is leagues better than the SNES version. The dithered graphics suit the game's art style better. It is much smoother too. Same goes for Thunderforce 3. I know the SNES version was a port of Thunderforce AC, but it is lacking in every way. Genesis got the better Darius game (Sagaia) as well, though I did still enjoy Darius Twin quite a bit. Super Nova is weak.

As mentioned before, The SNES SFII games ran rings around the Genesis versions. Better sound, larger characters and more colors. On the flip side, I wholeheartedly agree that most of the SNK Neo Geo ports were better on Genesis. Also, even though it was badly censored, the SNES version of Sunset Riders was truer to the arcade game. The SNES port of Turtles in Time also slays The Hyperstone Heist. Super Ghouls & Ghosts, despite its slowdown, looks much better than the Ghouls 'N Ghosts on Genesis.

When it comes to the early polygon stuff (choosing to forget the Tengen ports of the early Atari 3D games like Steel Talons (which is better on SNES), Stunt Race FX is not even in the same ballpark as Virtua Racing, but that is more due to the Hitachi SH1 than anything else. Stunt Race is higher res, but has a terrible frame rate that makes it nigh unplayable today. VR was tight and remains so.

Anything that required moving many sprites simultaneously benefitted from the Genesis's faster CPU, but anything focused on detailed sprites was much better on the SNES due mostly to the superior color palette. Genesis could excel in the area of detail when the color palette limitations were worked out correctly (Gaiares, Castle of Illusion, Sonic), but the dithering is tough on the eyes after experiencing the newer consoles. Sound was also generally better on SNES, with the major exceptions being those games that maximized the effect of the Genesis's grungy PCM (All Tecnosoft games, Sonic).

It is a wash. that is why so many of use have chosen to collect both!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All the Mortal Kombats.
    Although that is probably more of a bias than a fact. SNES did have the extra button so you had specific buttons for high/low punches/kicks.
    The original Mortal Kombat had blood on Genesis while the SNES version had SWEAT. That could also be a factor.
    R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

http://www.rfgeneration.com