Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What Games Were Better on Genesis Than on SNES?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by izret101
    All the Mortal Kombats.
    Although that is probably more of a bias than a fact. SNES did have the extra button so you had specific buttons for high/low punches/kicks.
    The original Mortal Kombat had blood on Genesis while the SNES version had SWEAT. That could also be a factor.
    The first MK is clearly better on the Genny.

The second is clearly better on the SNES.

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crush Crawfish
    I've heard that sparkster (The Sequel to rocket knight) is better on the genny, but I only have the snes one.
    Where the hell did you hear that? Trust me, the snes version is the better version of the game.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

"I've heard that sparkster (The Sequel to rocket knight) is better on the genny, but I only have the snes one. I also think Pac-man 2 works better on genesis, because the SNES version has Ms. Pac-man as an unlockable game, while the Genesis version has Jr. Pac-man, an all new game (It's different from pac-man jr.)"

What are you talking about? I've never heard of a Pac-Man Jr. There was a Jr. Pac-Man released in arcades in the early 80's that was ported to the Atari 2600, 5200, and Atari 8 bit computers, but I've never heard of a Pac-Man Jr.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames
    What are you talking about? I've never heard of a Pac-Man Jr. There was a Jr. Pac-Man released in arcades in the early 80's that was ported to the Atari 2600, 5200, and Atari 8 bit computers, but I've never heard of a Pac-Man Jr.
    S'true. The Genesis version of Pac Man 2 has a "new" Pac Man game called Pac Man Jr., which is not at all similar to Jr. Pac Man. In fact, this is clearly the only reason to pick up Pac Man 2, which STINKS on any system.

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by testament89
    Quote Originally Posted by Crush Crawfish
    I've heard that sparkster (The Sequel to rocket knight) is better on the genny, but I only have the snes one.
    Where the hell did you hear that? Trust me, the snes edition is the better version of the game.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

certain games which share the same name are completely different games.

For example - Beavis & Butthead on the Mega Drive was so much better, and was completely different to the Snes game...

And Tazmania... Well, the Mega Drive one was a decent platformer, but the Snes one was a poor game where you simply went down a road like thing - Almost like a driving game really...

I find developers still did this later on with certain games - Ie, The World Is Not Enough on the PS1 is completely different compared to the superior N64 version... Although similar, the N64 level designs and missions were so much better.

Thankfully this trend has not carried over so much to the three modern consoles... Maybe just a few differences here and there to compensate for the Cube's poorly designed controller, or maybe a few extra's for an Xbox version, but not major differences...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -^Cro§Bow^-
    Sunset Riders is a really tough call to be honest.

The SNES version is really more like the arcade but the music is off. It did have all the cool little speech from the villians though.

However, the Genesis version has much better music as I always thought the Genny music sounded more like the arcade. The Genesis version is also about 2x longer than the SNES version as the levels were all much larger, and there were more bosses in the Genesis version.

So my overall decision is that I feel the Genesis port of Sunset Riders is better simply because I always felt I got more of my moneys worth from it.

i pray that no one takes yoru advice. the snes version WAS the arcade game. konami gimped it for the genesis, you can choose only 2 of the 4 characters, the graphics were raped and the game is actually about HALF LENGHT. on snes you could actually use the multi tap if im correct. trust me on this i spent so much time on this game both at arcades and at home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bram Stoker's Dracula

Mortal Kombat (1)

Mortal Kombat 3

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3

WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game (The SNES version lacked 'big' characters like Yokozuna and Bam Bam Bigelow... And Bam Bam was my favourite wrestler to use in that game!)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

home alone 2 and lost vikings are superb on the genny, i have both versions of each and i like the genesis ones better

not home alone (original one) was best on NES IMO even though the graphics were improved, it feels like a different game on the genesis which i dont like as much as the NES original.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A few that haven't been mentioned yet:

Bubsy - I've gotta say the Genesis version of this game is way better. I tried playing the SNES version a few months ago, switched it off after about ten minutes and turned my Genny on instead. ^^

Jim Power - Ungodly difficult game...the MD version only has one song playing for the whole game. Or at least as far as I got...nowhere near as far as I got on my SNES cart (how the heck do you beat that giant warship thingy anyways?)

I'm currently undecided between Super Bomberman 2 and Mega Bomberman...Mega Bomberman seems like a very cool game, but not having a Genesis multitap kinda stifles any sort of fair comparison there. Anyone have any thoughts on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Classicgamesdepot
    ...it doesn't even compare...
    Oh god, it's Johnny Turbo!

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

IMO all the Genesis games are better... I can take 'em on the port' with a Nomad Out of the HUGE list here is what I remember playing for both.

Aladdin (Disney's) (Genesis)
    Lethal Enforcers (Genesis - you can use the gun to play Snatcher!)
    Monopoly (Genesis - game had a more finished quality)
    Mortal Kombat (Genesis - RED blood, non-pussified fatalities)
    Mortal Kombat 3 (SNES)
    Mortal Kombat II (SNES)
    Pit-Fighter (Neither - It blew on both equally)
    Raiden Trad (Genesis - I prefer my shooters on the genny)
    Shadowrun (Genesis - Better game than SNES but, both are great)
    Sparkster (Genesis - No Slowdown that I found on SNES version plus Genny has Rocket Knight Adventures )
    Zombies Ate My Neighbors (Tie - Equally fun on both)

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Apple (Level 5) Lord Contaminous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Batman Returns:

SNES VERSION BY DEFAULT!

Because of how powerful the SNES sound format is and Konami knows what great game music is all about, this is the only Batman game to have that awesome orchestra-style music that's heard in the movies.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

IF not already mentioned, B.O.B. for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fatghost28
    Street Fighter 2 Special Champion Edition and Super Street Fighter 2 were better on the Genesis...because the Genny 6 button pad destroyed the SNES controller. Does that count? The Genny port of SSF2 was actually pretty close to the SNES version in sound and graphics though (and was 40 mbit to the SNES versions 32 mbit).

Samurai Shodown on the Genny was better than the SNES version, the SNES version had fully scaled out sprites (they were tiny) while the Genny had fully scaled in sprites (they were huge, but the Genny didn't have Earthquake).

Aladdin was mentioned already, and Earthworm Jim was also. (Shiny developed both, I don't think Shiny developed the SNES version of Aladdin, which was why the Genesis version was different and superior to the SNES version).
    Noway, the Genesis six button pad had shit all on the snes controller! Plus sega had to make a pad to play the game, since the original only had 3 buttons,

All the street fighters on the snes murdered! all the genesis ports of SF2 and Championship edition wasn't on the snes either

I hated genesis controllers!

..XS

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always thought Flashback and Prince of Persia were better on the Genesis. Its been too long though, I cant back that statement up with any relevant information. ^^
    View My Wanted List Here

You're in trouble, program. Why don't you make it easy on yourself. Who's your user?

END OF LINE

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with the color pallet problems on the genesis, but I liked Jurassic Park more on the Genesis than the SNES. It was a great side-scroller when I was a kid. I may sound weird by saying this, but I enjoyed Castlevania: Bloodlines more on the Genesis than Super Castlevania 4...but it may just be me (Dracula X-japanese release excluded)
    There's a reason there's a banana in my ear...I'm trying to lure the monkey out of my head.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    N30V3N0M
    Steam
    N30V3N0M

Aladin and Adventures of Batman & Robin. To me, MK was wayyy better on SNES. The graphicz were awesome and I didn't mind the spit rather than blood, but it doesn't really matter cuz SNES version of MK II and MK III pwned the Genesis versions. Yes I have played the Genesis version, and if you compared the graphicz....you'll see. Earthworm Jim was way better on Genesis and Boogerman....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    N30V3N0M
    Steam
    N30V3N0M

Edit: Aladin and Adventures of Batman & Robin on Genesis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    N30V3N0M
    Steam
    N30V3N0M

Sorry for another post, since I can't edit 1st post I submitted. Rock N Roll Racing is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better on SNES. No stopping of the music while Larry talks. The music sounded bad and also I'm pretty sure I heard the Sound effects on one of the Sonic gamez.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aladdin does not count as it was two completely different games by different companies.

Capcom's SNES one had beautiful graphics, but simplistic platformer gameplay.

Virgin's Genesis one had more cartoony looking graphics and animation and more advanced gameplay.

But in the end, the Genesis' ending sucked ass, looked shitty and just blew. SNES version's battle was more fun, more beautiful and was satisfying.

I've played both and beaten both. SNES still won that one.