Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Default Discuss Game Informer's 25 Greatest Moments in Video Games

To continue a earlier thread, I just got this issue yesterday. For the benefit of those who don't get this magazine, I'll type out the list with a summary of what they're talking about. This is going to be stripped down, b/c I don't feel like retyping the entire thing. Some of these descriptions make it hard to understand why exactly said game is on the list unless you've played it, so I'll try my best to give their reasons.

25. Parappa the Rapper (PSX) for "introducing the world to the rhythm game."

24. NHLPA 93 (Genny and SNES) for blood and injuries in a hockey game (specifically being able to take out Wayne Gretzky.)

23. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (PSX, among others) for creative combo-based gaming.

22. SOCOM: US navy SEALs (PS2) for being able to talk to team mates via the Network Adapter.

21. Eternal Darkness (GC) for various mind-fucks in the game.

20. Grand Theft Auto III (PS2) for picking up hookers.

19. NBA Jam (Genesis, SNES) for starting the hidden character craze.

18. Legend of Zelda (NES) for the Lost Forest puzzle.

17. Tenchu: Stealth Assassins (PSX) for "captur(ing) the true essence of the ninja." (This was one I really couldn't figure out their reasoning on.)

16. Track & Field (NES) for using an electric toothbrush to mash the buttons faster.

15. Final Fantasy VII (PSX) for cinematic summon cut scenes.

14. Max Payne (PC) for "Matrix" effects (aka "Bullet Time").

13. Sonic the Hedegehog (Genesis) for speed.

12. Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64) for Great Mighty Poo boss battle.

11. Ico (PS2) for emotional ending.

10. Doom (PC) for revolutionizing the FPS.

9. Mortal Kombat (Arcade) for the fatalities and senate hearings.

8. Contra (NES) for the Konami Code.

7. The Wizard (Movie) for reasons I really can not discern.

6. Resident Evil (PSX) for scary game play.

5. Metroid (NES) for suprize ending.

4. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (PC) for intensity.

3. Final Fantasy III (SNES) for the opera scene.

2. Super Mario Bros. (NES) for game secrets.

1. Metal Gear Solid (PSX) for Psycho Mantis boss battle.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Default Captain's salty thoughts!!!!

OK, I'm starting a new post to comment on the list, just so I don't clutter it up for people who just want the list and don't care what I think.

First, some fun facts about that list:

Oldest game: SMB (1985)
    Number of games 2000 or newer: 8
    System most represented: PSX (6 times)
    Second most: NES (5 times)
    Companies most represented Sony and Nintendo (9 each)
    Company least represented: Sega (1 exclusive game, 2 shared with SNES)

OK, I know GI skews younger, as seemingy all game magazines do, but this list is just silly. I don't know why I feel the need to comment on it; I know lists like this are a sucker's game at heart. I guess I'm just bored this morning and just baffled how a magazine that regualrly covers retrogaming can create a list like this and imply that nothing memorable happened before Super Mario. I also find the number of recent games on the list a little curious.

So, here's my thoughts, HIGHLY biased as they are:

25. Parappa was an innovative game. I don't know if it'd make my personal top 25 list, but it'd be close. I can't argue with this one too much.

24. The editors really love NHLPA 93. When they did their top 100 games list, it was number 10, I think. I'll admit, I pretty much was an arcade rat during this time period and didn't play much at home, so maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't see this one.

23. Ironically Tony Hawk makes the list for combos and no Street Fighter? What?

22. I think it's waaay too early to say SOCOM is worthy of a spot on a G.O.A.T. list.

21. I haven't played Eternal Darkness, so I can't really comment on this one. I still don't think it's Top 25 material, but maybe I'm missing out.

22. Right game, wrong reason. I think GTAIII was much more impressive for it's scope and open endedness than the fact that you could pick up hookers. Then again, I'm not trying to sell magazines to 13 year old boys. Top 25? Maybe.

19. Hidden characters are kind of a standard gaming thing these days. Again, I can't argue with the reasoning here, but I know this wouldn't make my top 25.

18. Hard to argue with this one. Even though I'm not a huge Zelda fan, I know this one is worthy.

17. This is another "huh?" for me. I haven't played it, and I'm not sure what their case is other than it's got ninjas being stealthy. Maybe if I had played it, this would make sence?

16. I'd never heard of using an electric toothbrush to play Track and Field. Maybe no one in my neighborhood was that creative. T&F was fun back in the day, but I don't know if I'd count this as one of gaming's greatest moments.

15. I don't care for RPGs in general. Still, this impressed me the first time I saw it. Granted, I think the trend towards cinematic cutscenes in games has been a bad one (more gameplay less movie dammit!) this was an innovator.

14. I haven't played much Max Payne, but what I have played I thought was decent. However, I wasn't as wowed as the people compiling this list.

13. Another one hard to argue with.

12. Another I haven't played.

11. I played a demo of Ico and just wasn't that impressed. Seems like this is a critics fave, but there's other games that had endings that tugged at the heartstrings.

10. Hard to argue with this one. I'll still bust out Doom from time to time.

9. Having been there (in the arcades) when this one dropped, I felt the impact first hand. I still suck at this game, but I have to agree with the choice.

8. The Konami Code applys to quite a few Konami games, but Contra is probably the most famous. Can't argue with that.

7. The really big "WTF?" on the list. Even back in the day, everyone I knew thought this movie was dumb. This one really confuses me.

6. I dunno. Maybe. I can see it, but not on my top 25.

5. Hard to argue.

4. Again, not having played the game, what can I say? I still think it's too early to call this one. Espically this high on the list.

3. Ok, no flames please, but I'm sick of hearing about this. It made in impact on RPG gamers, but what about the rest of us? The cinematics in FFVII I can live with because that has effected people not interested in RPGs but I think this one is kind of playing to a smaller audience.

2. Can not argue with this one at all.

1. Truth be told, I thought MGS was overrated. This battle was neat, but far from the most memorable moment in gaming.

Whew! I'm done.

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

What, no Adventure?! The game that started the whole Easter Egg craze? For shame, GI, for shame!!!

What's really the difference between Eternal Darkness' mindfucks and MGS final mindfuck? If you're going to use the mindfuck as an innovation just pick MGS and be done with it. (Although ED does have some pretty sweet "WTF?" moments...)

No online RPG games? No EverQuest or Ultima Online? No mention of selling items from those games through ebay to make a living from?

Shouldn't Mortal Kombat be credited for the hidden character craze because of Reptile? That game was innovative on a few levels.

I'd also toss in Chrono Trigger's multiple game endings.

Kristine
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

My thoughts:

25. Parappa the Rapper (PSX) for "introducing the world to the rhythm game."
    OK, maybe. Parappa certainly was a unique experience at the time.

23. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (PSX, among others) for creative combo-based gaming.
    Now this is REALLY catering to a "younger" crowd. I'm 17 and my first million in THPS2 wasn't THAT impressive to me.

22. SOCOM: US navy SEALs (PS2) for being able to talk to team mates via the Network Adapter.
    Too early.

20. Grand Theft Auto III (PS2) for picking up hookers.
    I couldn't believe it when I first heard about it. Maybe a bit lower on my list, though.

19. NBA Jam (Genesis, SNES) for starting the hidden character craze.
    Um....no.

18. Legend of Zelda (NES) for the Lost Forest puzzle.
    What, is this supposed to be the most memorable moment of videogame-related frustration ever?

17. Tenchu: Stealth Assassins (PSX) for "captur(ing) the true essence of the ninja."
    Yeah, the first time you slit someone's throat from behind in Tenchu, you knew that this wasn't just another "ninja" game.

16. Track & Field (NES) for using an electric toothbrush to mash the buttons faster.
    I NEVER heard of that until this issue of GI...

15. Final Fantasy VII (PSX) for cinematic summon cut scenes.
    Yes, those were cool, although the Knights of the Round summon they mention got boring really fast...

14. Max Payne (PC) for "Matrix" effects (aka "Bullet Time").
    Whoopee. Matrix fans unite.

13. Sonic the Hedegehog (Genesis) for speed.
    YES.

12. Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64) for Great Mighty Poo boss battle.
    YES! I agree! The BEST boss battle...EVA!

10. Doom (PC) for revolutionizing the FPS.
    Indeed.

9. Mortal Kombat (Arcade) for the fatalities and senate hearings.
    Agreed.

8. Contra (NES) for the Konami Code.
    Agreed.

7. The Wizard (Movie) for reasons I really can not discern.
    I saw this movie when I was 5 and I forgot it VERY quickly.

6. Resident Evil (PSX) for scary game play.
    Agreed.

5. Metroid (NES) for suprize ending.
    Eh...agreed.

3. Final Fantasy III (SNES) for the opera scene.
    I was a Final Fantasy III dork when it first came out, and I have to say that Chrono Trigger had more memorable moments than this (Magus fight, anyone?)

2. Super Mario Bros. (NES) for game secrets.
    Agreed.

1. Metal Gear Solid (PSX) for Psycho Mantis boss battle.
    Agreed, but definitely not number one. MGS is overrated!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This issue of GI does so many things wrong.. not only in this list. there are some false reviews and info in this mag that any true game loving editor would have killed people for, let alone letting it into the final print is a true display of not "getting it"..

I'll have to get home and pull it out to rant about that but for now..

WTF is up with "the Wizard" being put in there. I assume it's not really the wizard that is there but SMB3.

I wish i could quote the last sentance but it was something like, "anyone who was 16 in 1989 remembers this movie and being in a long line for it.."

Well, I WAS 16 in 1989 and I don't even remember this movie.. I remember seeing "The Abyss" and "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" that year. Sure I remember wanting to play SMB3, I also remember getting laid for the first time and driving around in my 84 Tran-Am 305 drinking beers at the lake, but I don't even remember this movie being in theatres..

If I had any respect for GI it is now gone, they better keep getting in with the Gamestop used card thing or their Mag will never grace the back of my toilet agian.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

EGM had a similar article, but more skewed towards memorable moments (like Aeris dying say). I know lists like this are dumb but I like reading them and discussing them. So blame their popularity on me if you'd like

25. Parappa makes sense to me. It was definitely my first rhythm game.

24. NHLPA 93 was one of the first hockey games I remember that was done well, with rosters and everything. Mind you I'd probably leave sports games off this list entirely (or put a bunch together).

23. I suck at Tony Hawk. So I won't say anything either way

22. Games like Socom get included because they are relevant now. But you're right - you really need to step back to see how it's imporance will play out.

21. I love Eternal Darkness. The screwing around it has done to me (even though I've heard of things from others) has been incredibly fun. Again, it's kind of new for a list like this but it warrants mentioning.

22. I agree with your GTA III thoughts 100%. It's the freedom and feel of the game that makes this one a game that will be ripped off for years.

19. I've never been a fan of NBA Jams, but if it's true this was the first hidden character game then it belongs. I suppose we have to remember we're thinking of great moments, which you would think would be more in game stuff than features but I'm okay with it.

18. I'm a huge Zelda fan (duh). Should've been higher!

17. I've never played Tenchu either. But I don't think portraying Ninjas on their own makes this belong here.

16. Right now I'm wondering how the toothbrush thing works (I've got one and the button controller at home). It belongs in my mind just for the whole button mashing part of gaming. It was definitley different.

15. I do like RPGs, but I agree they have become too cinematic. With this game I felt like I was getting rewarded though.

14. No Max Payne playing here. I'm not sure mimicing a movie once belongs. Will it be imitated? Maybe.

13. Gotta love the speed of Sonic.

12. I loved CBFD. I don't know of any games that use Satire like it does. Like GTA 3, I think they've got a bad reason here but the game belongs anyway.

11. I'm a *huge* fan of ICO. I don't think it's the ending per se that sets the game apart. I've played it though twice and I'll play it through again. The memorable part about it isn't the ending, it's the whole experience. They tell a story without really using a lot of cutscenes. Everything just came together really well. Hopefully they'll come through on an Ico 2 (i've read in EGM that they will but who knows.).

10. Never really played Doom but I wouldn't argue this one.

9. Mortal Kombat was a huge one in the day. Definitely belongs.

8. I'm suprised and not surprised that the Konami code makes it. I don't think it belongs this high on the list though.

7. I don't even remember the movie. Definitely WTF?!?

6. I think Survival Horror belongs, and RE started the genre off with a bang (even if it wasn't the first game of it's kind).

5. Metroid did have a stunning ending.

4. Intensity. Okay. Surely their might be other examples. I haven't played this though and to be honest I can't think of anything else.

3. The FF III opera scene was hilarious. Maybe doesn't deserve to be this high but deserves to be here.

2. SMB was one of a kind to be sure.

1. Definitely an interesting twist but I'm not sure it would be #1. Maybe I'd have Metroid here instead. That was definitely more stunning.

They're not really coming up with greatest moments, are they? It's almost like they're coming up with important moments that influenced gaming. I don't have the EGM article with me but I liked the gist of it better: it was more things that happened in games that shocked you. RE was there, but their reason was the scene where a dog jumps out of you from nowhere (I've never played RE, I'm waiting 'till I can pick up the GC release real cheap like). They had some weak stuff too, like backing Lara Croft up against a wall so the camera would zoom in on her boobs.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Game Informer

This is typical of Game Informer, a magazine I wouldn't even look at if it didn't come free to my house.

First of all, enough with the Metal Gear Solid already. I said it the day it came out, and I'll say it now: IT'S NOT THAT GOOD. It's a decent action game with too many movies and a few other issues. The boss battles are very well done (I like it when SS tells that one boss "I'll die when I kill you!"). The battle w/ Psycho Mantis is a GIMMICK. It's not a novel gameplay experience.

Same thing w/ Eternal Darkness. It's a GIMMICK. Yeah, it's cool the first time it happens if you're not already onto it. But what you have to realize is that it's a substitue for real gameplay experience.

Speaking of issues and gimmicks, what about the rest of Game Informer? Don't you love how 50% of the games score in the 9s? Are there that many good games coming out? They did a review of James Bond AUF for the Gamecube where they pretty much trashed it, and then proceeded to give it a 9.25! Or how about those inane editorials at the beginning of the magazine (and then again at the beginning of the review section). WHO CARES ABOUT THESE NERDS? And there are even pictures of them just hanging out with people. Nobody wants to see pictures of you, dudes. Add that extra page to your retrogaming feature.

the kid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Default Re: Game Informer

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice
    Speaking of issues and gimmicks, what about the rest of Game Informer? Don't you love how 50% of the games score in the 9s? Are there that many good games coming out? They did a review of James Bond AUF for the Gamecube where they pretty much trashed it, and then proceeded to give it a 9.25!
    I agree 100% with everything in your post (espically the MGS remark) but this really struck me. I so know what you're talking about here. I just don't understand how consistently most of the games they review get high marks. Of course when you look at who owns the magazine (Funco or Barnes and Noble I guess it is now) it's not too suprizing.

Actually I thought this magazine was pretty good for a while, but the last few issues have made me change my mind.

God, I long for a gaming mag that aims for a more mature audience and actually has reviews that mean something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

So, nothing about the pre-NES days, but something about celebrity-endorsed sports games?

How about One-On-One, which, for the first time, actually used real players?

Star Raiders?

Pong. Yes, it's old, but do YOU remember the first time you tried this..."video game?" The greyish screen, the "bok" sound, etc.?

I could think of others, but, what's the point? Even Flux magazine acknowledged the existence of video games before the NES in their "greatest" list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Same thing w/ Eternal Darkness. It's a GIMMICK. Yeah, it's cool the first time it happens if you're not already onto it. But what you have to realize is that it's a substitue for real gameplay experience.
    Well, the list itself is about memorable moments. And the mind fucks are definitely memorable.

And in this case the mind fucks *are* the game play. Sure the game itself is simple (grabbing items and killing zombies), but this game is about atmosphere. I think Silicon Knights did an excellent job - I'm totally into that game when I'm playing it.

The argument you're getting into (especially with MGS) is how a lot of games are made today. It's a valid argument (I disliked the cutscenes in MGS2 a lot as well, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the times I actually got to play. It's still a good game in my eyes). But again, having a bad guy talk to you about games you happen to have had on your memory card is pretty memorable. The game itself doesn't have to be good (a very subjective term) for it to be memorable (still a subjective thing, but easier to find people agreeing on memorable I'd assume).

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    God, I long for a gaming mag that aims for a more mature audience and actually has reviews that mean something.
    We've got the exact prescription for ya right here:

http://www.digitpress.com/join_us.htm

Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics
    We've got the exact prescription for ya right here:

http://www.digitpress.com/join_us.htm

Yeah, shame it only comes out once a year though :P

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy
    Well, the list itself is about memorable moments. And the mind fucks are definitely memorable.
    ).
    Fair enough. I dont think I realized the list is about the most memorable moments IN a game; I thought it was a more historical thing.

the kid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I think that's where they dropped the ball too. Memorable too often gets confused with historic. I don't see why something has to be historic to be memorable (although, if it was memorable enough perhaps that makes it historic in a fashion)?

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, shame it only comes out once a year though :P
    A-HA! But that's where you're Wrong, Captain! :lol:

We will *definitely* have six issues out this coming year. Stay tuned!!
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

So what's so great about the Opera Scene and not the rest of F3? FF3 was one the first game sto have mature themes of teenage marrige/pregencies, talk to sucide and stuff of the sort.

If anything FF2 should been on there for bringing Final Fantasy to the SNES in an engaging and great and romantic storyline and plot (and having one the hardest end bosses of Zeromus).

Or even Chrono Trigger for the reason QoF mentioned- the multiple endings depending on when you fight Lavos or even the fact that they did the concept of time traveling properly (Not seen since the Back to the Future movies).
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd have to agree fully on the FF3 opera scene being overrated. I actually found it one of the more boring parts of the game. And what's with the people who praise the actual music of the scene and always mention it as the best game music ever? Are they aware that there is such a thing as real, quality opera music that actually has humans singing rather than an awkward sounding SNES voice instrument?

Anyway, this list just confirms my previous suspicions on how amateurish the quality of Game Informer is and what a bad sense of history they have.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Which issue is this in? I just got my Oct-02 issue in the mail yesterday and it wasn't in there. Am I an issue behind?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I'd have to agree fully on the FF3 opera scene being overrated. I actually found it one of the more boring parts of the game.
    Just remember that the topic is memorable moments, not over or under-rated. And it is definitely a memorable scene, even if you think it's overrated.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So why didn`t they mention Mario64, the first game where 3D-platforming really worked...