Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would You Sell Your Collection?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Would You Sell Your Collection?

This is a kinda open ended thread. Im not exactly a veteran of this board, but why I've been here I've seen many people selling parts or the entire works of their collections for various reasons. Be it new kids, new house, unexpected bills or other types of personal reasons.

For myself I'm a business student graduating from university within a year, most likely over 30k in debt. From my best estimates I can *relatively easily* get 3-5 grand for my collection, most likely more if I do some hardcore ebay milking. While that is not exactly alot, it will pay some down. Which in the long run will result in less intrest payments and eventually more money to dedicate to gaming somewhere further down the road (when I'm actually financially secure).

On top of that I have a business idea I've been kicking around for the past three years or so. This summer I intend to actually do something with it and finish up my business plan. If I can't get any youth business grants / loans for the start up money I need, then that collection is gonna start to look even more tempting to liquidate.

While selling off my collection is gonna crush my heart I have a feeling it will become a nessicity within a year or two. No doubt I'll eventully spend alot more in re-aquiring it, but by that point I'll actually be able to afford it.

I'm sure people must have thoughts on this type of subject.... just curious about what experiences / opions people have on the whole broad idea.

- Sphinx

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

aaaaaaaaaa
    Last edited by mycarsucks; 04-29-2022 at 04:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Probably never, I feel for you.

I love video games and collect for the love and the little OCD in me
    I dont think I could ever sell it for any money and be able to live with the decision. I could only sell my collection if it was a health issue I had to pay for with my wife or myself, loss of a job with savings gone, or a disaster. A family addition would slow my collection, but no, I could not ever sell it. I feel for you just remember to think it over alot. Once you sell an extensive collection, it is hard to get back
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

money come, money go

treasures should be kept

in the grand scheme of thing consider what your collection really means to you, you'll always have debt but will you always have something to escape with like a good game? i've been up and down moneywise many times but i never considered selling off my stuff. money problems only exist on paper, no agency will ever come around to repossesing my collection and it will always be there to cheer me up when the world looks bleak. i say forget about the money you may be able to ebay, its just a drop in bucket, if it makes you happy its priceless, if not..then sell it!
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Armchair Arcade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    billlog
    PSN
    ArmchairArcade
    3DS Friend
    3995-6521-5257
    Steam
    Bill_Loguidice

You can see a lot of my collection on my personal Website, link below (I'll be updating after Philly Classic this Saturday). It's BIG and has some very rare items in it. Rough guess, could be off by $10,000 or more either way, but let's say for sake of argument it's worth $30,000.

I've found that my collection has been an insatiable monster I've been trying to feed since I was a little boy (I'm 31 now). I LOVE collecting classic computers and videogames and everything related (and hell, new stuff for that matter too). However, it also takes up LOTS of space (one bedroom in our house is devoted JUST to the collection and there are other parts of it strewn about the house), can get expensive and is a cause for a small degree of stress. I have often entertained the idea of "what if?". What if someone came up to me one day and offered me that $30,000 to whatever thousands of dollars for the WHOLE thing, from Pong to Xbox to PC. I just *might* take it. Why? Besides freeing up a whole room in our house and getting the monkey off my back so to speak, I could do a LOT with that kind of money AND get an uber PC setup where I could emulate a lot of the stuff (though I prefer playing on the original hardware frankly) and get perhaps a few token items. I'd do this because I simply DON'T have time to play everything in my collection. I'm a USER as well as a collector at heart. My stuff is MEANT to be used. With that said, I simply don't have time to play anything much at ALL, not even all the NEW stuff I have. Too busy. I expect to play all this stuff when I'm RETIRED, in some 40 years (hopefully it will all still work by then), which I kind of sad if you think about it!

With all of that said, realistically, that WON'T be happening, so onwards and upwards with MORE collecting, MORE of the new stuff and less and less space. I know, I know, it's not a *bad* problem to have... :P Hopefully I will find more time over the next few years to use and tinker with more of my stuff, but it's not looking promising...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Yes. A year ago, I wouldn't have dreamt of it. Ten months ago, I would have pondered it. Mortality has kicked in as of recent, that I've tossed around the idea of selling everything I don't use and step down as a collector and simply just be a gamer. That means keeping nothing but those games that I play or absolutely love.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've been thinking on and off about selling parts of my collection...and each time it comes down to it, I just can't. I don't play half this stuff, but yet if I sold it off I'd be heartbroken. Dunno why.

It would take a LOT though for me to sell everything. like...a year's salary or something....but then I'd have nothing to play.

Jason

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anything's possible in a pinch. I'm getting paid well now, so I'm buying what I can. It may not last forever though, and if I have to, I guess I'd sell the games first... at least befoer starving.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Loguidice
    You can see a lot of my collection on my personal Website, link below (I'll be updating after Philly Classic this Saturday). It's BIG and has some very rare items in it. Rough guess, could be off by $10,000 or more either way, but let's say for sake of argument it's worth $30,000.

I've found that my collection has been an insatiable monster I've been trying to feed since I was a little boy (I'm 31 now). I LOVE collecting classic computers and videogames and everything related (and hell, new stuff for that matter too). However, it also takes up LOTS of space (one bedroom in our house is devoted JUST to the collection and there are other parts of it strewn about the house), can get expensive and is a cause for a small degree of stress. I have often entertained the idea of "what if?". What if someone came up to me one day and offered me that $30,000 to whatever thousands of dollars for the WHOLE thing, from Pong to Xbox to PC. I just *might* take it. Why? Besides freeing up a whole room in our house and getting the monkey off my back so to speak, I could do a LOT with that kind of money AND get an uber PC setup where I could emulate a lot of the stuff (though I prefer playing on the original hardware frankly) and get perhaps a few token items. I'd do this because I simply DON'T have time to play everything in my collection. I'm a USER as well as a collector at heart. My stuff is MEANT to be used. With that said, I simply don't have time to play anything much at ALL, not even all the NEW stuff I have. Too busy. I expect to play all this stuff when I'm RETIRED, in some 40 years (hopefully it will all still work by then), which I kind of sad if you think about it!

With all of that said, realistically, that WON'T be happening, so onwards and upwards with MORE collecting, MORE of the new stuff and less and less space. I know, I know, it's not a *bad* problem to have... :P Hopefully I will find more time over the next few years to use and tinker with more of my stuff, but it's not looking promising...

I know nothing about computers, but you must have something really special related to PCs to think that your collection is worth $30,000.

I mean no disrespect, honestly, but I took a look at the pics, and couldn't see anything rare, related to console gaming.

Was I missing something?

A complete, all titles with box, sleeve, styro, manual and cart NES collection doesn't even fetch $10,000. A couple of members on this board can attest to that. Since I didn't see anything like that, I was just curious as to what you had that would bring the total that high?

As for the thread question...

Myself, I've had to sell off my collection twice now, and yet I keep coming back for more.

It always depends on the circumstances. Since the fun is the collecting for me, I can always do it again if I really want to. Kind of like now...

Good luck!
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

I have. At least once. But I always end up missing anything I sell at a later date. So I came up with a new motto with this collection:

NEVER AGAIN.

Armchair Arcade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    billlog
    PSN
    ArmchairArcade
    3DS Friend
    3995-6521-5257
    Steam
    Bill_Loguidice

Quote Originally Posted by orrimarrko
    I know nothing about computers, but you must have something really special related to PCs to think that your collection is worth $30,000.

I mean no disrespect, honestly, but I took a look at the pics, and couldn't see anything rare, related to console gaming.

Was I missing something?

A complete, all titles with box, sleeve, styro, manual and cart NES collection doesn't even fetch $10,000. A couple of members on this board can attest to that. Since I didn't see anything like that, I was just curious as to what you had that would bring the total that high?

As for the thread question...

Myself, I've had to sell off my collection twice now, and yet I keep coming back for more.

It always depends on the circumstances. Since the fun is the collecting for me, I can always do it again if I really want to. Kind of like now...

Good luck!
    Just an estimate my friend, and a bad one at that. Consider it as more of an example, like I stated. Like I said, I could be off by any number of thousands of dollars. I have over 67 classic (and modern) computer and videogame systems, thousands upon thousands of software titles, accessories, many rarities, magazines, tzotches, lots of "regular" (and again, modern) PC's, lots of modern stuff (current generation), etc., and a lot of it in excellent condition. The point was, with the right offer for the WHOLE shebang, EVERYTHING, I'd certainly consider it. It WOULD have to be well north of $20,000, though, and whether it's all worth at least that is certainly up for debate.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I almost did today actually. Hehe

But in the end, with all this time invested what was the point all along?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I needed to feed myself yea..
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

personally, I have no problem selling my collection (minus a few guilty pleasures). but if you are intending on recollecting again later, its a mistake. Its going to make a big difference in a few years when you wont be able to find used NES games in a retail store. Stuff like that will make a big difference.

~Tj
    must... collect more.... 7800......help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have done this on a few occassions. Never the whole collection. It's not worth my time to eBay the common stuff. Selling something for $3 is not worth it. I do plan on collecting everything back again. On the bright side. I sold most of my collection when the US dollar was higher than it is now so when I do go to get the more expensive items back, I still come out ahead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I started collecting for the NES almost three years back. Last year I got heavily into it and burned myself out around the end of the year. I was down to under 100 carts when I decided to sell it all. I made my money back and then some, but, I wish I would have considered the two options below. If I had, I would be chasing down boxes and manulas for the NES, as I would have close to every US release, and concentrating heavily on the DC.

1) Put it all away ang come back to it in four months or so. If I still am not interested, look into selling it.

2) Sell off all of the common stuff and keep the hard to find/one of a kind items.

Number two is basically the "option B". A good one though, as it seems VG collecting has really picked up steam. If there is not another crash and it stays mainstream/popular, things are going to start to dry up. Look at NES stuff now compared to just a year or two back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

HELL NO! There are a few certified pieces of crap that I may try to attempt to sell at a later date. However, the vast majority of my collection shall be buried with me, cremated, if necessary. The stuff that I may want to sell probably isn't worth very much. Maybe I'd sell a few games if my financial state becomes desperate... here's hoping that it doesn't come to that.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am thinking of weeding out the crap I don't play.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sell off everything I don't play or like. As I play the games, I decide whether I'll keep them or not, and if I don't like em...off they go.

If I had to sell to pay for food or a roof over my head, I would (well, maybe not food), but chances are very high that I wouldn't ever sell most of it. Even if I had to sell, I'd cherry pick the stuff I could bear to part with and get back later first. My collection is worth around 25-30K right now if I sold EVERYTHING for high eBay prices, and that would take MONTHS.

Basically....barring horrible damning financial difficulties...NEVER!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmm

Possibly ... if I had the right offer. I already did once! Then started out from scratch again. It was kinda fun! And I bought a stinkingly good digital camera with the money I got from selling off the collection .. have not regretted it one bit. I've kinda stuck more to just collecting the games I actually like and play this time round. Kinda. Apart from the 32X ...

The fact of the matter is that games I don't play, the enjoyment for me is in the hunting the items down, spotting the bargains and finding the hidden treasures. Once I've got them, unless I actually play them, they hold very little interest for me. So yeah, I would sell up. Pocket the cash. Start the fun all over again!

Vroomfunkel