Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Would You Sell Your Collection?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'd sell my collection if I felt like I had to. That's about all it comes down to. I'm not foolish enough to hold onto my games if I was to desperately need money, but I'm also not inclined to sell them either. I have no clue how much my collection as a whole is worth, though, and it's kind of scary to think about that, haha. I don't have any ridiculously high value items, but I do have plenty of stuff, with many items worth a decent chunk (that's what happens when you're an RPG fan). I'm sure I have a fair amount of money tied up in it all, but I guess it's also comforting in a way that it's there in a pinch, even if I would be very sad to part with it all. So many Americans spend WAY more on frivolous stuff than I do, packing their houses with junk, and it's all basically worthless. At least I know I could get something out of my game collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SP4C3FL34
    PSN
    ArrowShockwave

I would gladly sell my entire collection if a single person or small group offered to buy the whole lot for the right price. The only problem, besides finding that person/group, is that my life would suddenly lose 99% of its meaning. I literally wouldn't know what to do anymore. Hell, I'd probably just start collecting again.
    Be Attitude For Gains...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've considered it... then I sat there and realised I would regret it the second it was sold and want to rebuild it/buy it back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To be honest, I quite sold a lot of stuff over the last two or three years. My collection never was that big but I did own quite a good amount of stuff. I sold the GameGear and all games, the Dreamcast and the x-Box. I also sold various games from all consoles and at this moment I just keep the stuff I actually enjoy playing. On one hand I did use the money (I didn't sell any real valuable items so I just made little money with it, but if the machine doesn't give you any more cash you can't be picky), on the other hand I have so much stuff in my appartment why keep stuff I won't play or enjoy in any other way?
    http://www.discogs.com/user/Tatsu>My vinyl and CD collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

I'm in the process of it. Since I wanted to try switching to PC games.

Core first step which is near complete, was ridding myself of expensive JRPGs I didn't give a crap about. Glad I've held back on buying games basically just for the Atlus/NIS/Xseed logos anymore!
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have sold a few things, nothing out of my retro collection, just some crap in my ps2/ps3 collection. I dont think i could part with what I have left though, it may not be much, but its staying in my hands!
    WANTS: Atari 2600/ Playstation Vita

Solitudine Il Cacciatore

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With the hard economy lately, the thought has occurred. But I look at escalating prices on ebay and realize it would cost me a small fortune to get even part of it back, and at a much larger expense than I have invested to this point. I am a person to never say, "never", and could sell parts of it if the need arose. I estimate overall collection value between $5-10K, but piecing it out over ebay or Game Gavel would take a long time to raise money in a pinch. I have whole sections of my collection that receive no play: PSX, Saturn, Colecovision, Intellivision, Jaguar, etc.

I guess my goal in collecting is that some day I will retire and have ample time to enjoy systems and games I don't get to in my busy life at the moment. Hopefully, I can hold onto most or all of it until that day arrives.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    KBgames18
    PSN
    KBgames

Would only sell if i got an insane offer.

Insert Coin (Level 0) PROTOTYPE's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unhappy Well, I think most people would at one time or another as I did in the past

But, I've Always regretted it. My old collections are long and gone and will never get them back [ sad ] I did get one back, but the others cost to much now days. Their is also something about owning the hard copy's of games... but lets face it, we do not have enough time in life to play them all. New games come out all the time, and we have way more options to play games today. So, it comes down to collecting only..and we all have some kind of squirrel in all us?
    If it's not fun? Your not really playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

The thought has crossed my mind lately. I like the idea of playing my old games, but I haven't had the motivation to play any of them for a long time. However, that is changing. I'm glad I decided not to. I know that I would regret it later and I would end up trying to get it back and it would cost me a lot more.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Yes I'd sell everything..

Make me an offer,come get it...
    Last edited by Videogamerdaryll; 10-22-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've done it once already.

Back in the dark days. The before time.

When I was 17, I started working at a major game retailer. Back then, they still did a booming trade in NES, SNES, and Genesis (Saturn and SegaCD were off the shelves by this point). Working NES systems back then were so hard to keep in stock that they were priced at 99.99 USD, and we gave a whopping between $45 and $60 in trade credit for them.

The PS2 was about to launch when I started. And then, a year later, the XBox (which I hated and still do to this day), and the Gamecube launched. In the intervening period, I began to trade in a lot of my old game collection in favor of store credit, which I then used along with my 20% Employee Discount to procure new things, or at least, newer systems from the used racks, and some PC games. I figured that I could just use emulators and it would be fine for me. I kept my NES Toaster and my SNES, but everything else was at least considered as trade fodder. One of the only things I got in this manner that I am not ashamed of is my copy of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night which was still available new.

Fast forward to my third and final year there, when I was a third key and then assistant manager. I regularly spent huge chunks of my paycheck, quite irresponsibly, both in our store and elsewhere, to reacquire and expand my collection.

My position did put me into the position to gain some spectacular deals. For example, a guy brought in a giant bag full of pristine boxed NES titles. My manager at the time said we didn't have room to keep the boxes and I was to do something with them. So I did. I put them straight into my car and took them home. I ended up buying over half of the games, so I don't feel as bad about that as maybe I should. Especially since I was following orders and nobody got hurt, really. The biggest coup of all was that the gentleman also brought in a ROB with all of its attachments and both gyros (with the paper protective cover still on them). I pulled that aside and told the guy that we didn't take ROB anymore. He had gotten over 200 dollars in trade credit by this point already and told me he didn't feel like dragging it back home. I told him that he could probably sell it on ebay for around 50-75 dollars and he still refused to take it back! So the ROB sits on my shelf to this day as a statue. He does work, though. I stuffed batteries into him once and tried him on Gyromite. God what a POS.

Another time a gentleman brought in his Panasonic 3DO FZ1, boxed and complete, with about 10 or 12 games. We certainly didn't take those. I told the guy I was sorry that the company didn't take those in trade anymore. He might be able to get a decent amount out of a pawn shop if he tried, or I could just buy it from him for the 40 bucks I had in my pocket. I told him that probably wasn't the best deal he could get and that I would try eBay or pawnshops first, but he wanted the 40 to buy some new hit release that was out that day. So he took my money, and in return I must admit I did give him a "shopwear" discount of 10 percent, since those were at my discretion as a member of management.

So, I did end up gaining back what was lost, and some things I never did let go of, like my original copy of Castlevania that I got with the NES that Christmas. But I let it go for the sake of a few easy bucks. It won't happen again unless I have absolutely no other choice. I may not be able to expand the collection during certain periods but I won't liquidate it either.

In the end I suppose selling them off made me realize just exactly what I was missing by doing so, and it did enable me to appreciate the games once I owned them again. Emulators are useful, but they lack the same sentimental nostaliga for me, and that's something I really treasure.

Insert Coin (Level 0) PROTOTYPE's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool What the? you hated the XBOX?

Sorry you kind lost me there, XBOX was Awesome at the time... you were very lucky to work there and most people who sell their stuff really regret it and hardly ever get it all back.Now back to the XBOX
    If it's not fun? Your not really playing.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

More than likely will. I've only ever done one pricing, back when I first used IGN's collection software, which put my collection in the $4K range. I've basically decided that somewhere between the ages of 30 and 35 I'm going to just say "Yeah, enough, time to stop acting like a 20-something year old" and just toss all my gaming stuffs to the wind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I sold off most of my collection this year, stuff that I know I'll never play which was most of it. I just kept the stuff I know I'll play one day.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Final Boss's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only if

a) I absolutely must to feed myself
    b) I lose interest
    c) something equally interesting comes along that I can trade everything for
    d) I get tired of the pigginess of resellers and scammers and the overall mentality of everyone wanting to own old games

All of those seem unlikely options at the moment.

If everything goes as planned, I either get buried with my collection, burn it or I donate it all to a public museum. Seeing as I haven't lost all of my mind/am not terminally ill (at least to the best of my knowledge) and my collection is pathetic compared to the hardcorest/luckiest/most devoted hoarders, I'm likely to rot with Double Dragon 2 clutched in my cold, dead hands.
    Last edited by Final Boss; 11-07-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When considering this question, it haunted my thoughts for many nights. I came to the conclusion, that to live life, I had to let go and not only with videogames, but with everything, job/GameStop, car/Dodge Magnum SRT-8, home/2-bedroom apartment by the ocean. Selling it all, then focusing on life, gave me the solace I needed to push forth collected while deciding to risk it all and move to Japan with only $500. From there I earned teaching English. Stabilizing my life in a foreign country gave me the idea to bring money back to the United States to open a videogame business with a Japanese influence. So when presented with this question, I am a firm believer of letting everything go if you have the focus to obtain it in the future.
    Distributor of Candy Cabinets.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Bubble_Man's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only as a last resort if I fell upon very hard times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sold off the majority (90% ) of my collection years ago. SNES, NES, A2600,5200,7800 ( some 84 release systems in the box) PS1, 2, xbox strait up to the new stuff. And went out and bought a classic Monte SS to replace my first one that died. The last part I have left, I dont think I have the heart to sell. I guess if its real bad id consider it but I think on some level i need to have one thing special from my childhood that I will not part with. I think my game system would be that I wouldnt sell.
    Current Collection Stats As Of 12/10/2013 : Cartridges - 206 ( 182 unique titles 24 label variations ) : Cassettes - 21 :

Currently in the market for :

+ Atari 8 bit game cartridges ( all brands and most titles )
    + Atari 8 Bit Prototype and Demo cartridges
    + Atari 8 bit manuals and boxes

PM me if you see anything above that you have doubles or interest in getting rid of.

Check out my
    Atari 8-Bit Museum Site at http://www.a8museum.com
    Atari 8-Bit Museum on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/groups/392317377550512/
    And on Ebay under the handle ThePaperVault