Thread: Price to pay for an import PS2 or modded US one?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

Default Price to pay for an import PS2 or modded US one?

I've noticed TONS of JP releases for the PS2 that look good, but were either released in limited quantities or not at all in the US. How much should I expect to pay for a JP PS2 or a professionally modded one?
    Egbert, I miss you...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jap PS2: NEW: ~$200 + shipping if new
    Ebay: ~150 + shipping (which will be more than if you actually bought it from an importer - unless it is a US seller)

Modded: Chips themselves go for 20-60, I'd say you'd run about 250-300 for a premodded one. Plus shipping

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

Thank you much, sir (ma'am?).
    Egbert, I miss you...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Personally I'd by-pass the whole modding process altogether. Later in the PSX life span there were games that would not play with a mod-chip in place, nor with a boot disc. I believe this has started to happen with PS2 games, but I could be wrong. With each new batch of games that come out, the current mod goes more and more obsolete.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

PS2 mod chips are VERY unreliable, so I always recommend just getting an official Japanese PS2. I got one myself a little over a year ago for $250 (with free shipping from videogamedepot.com). Considering that US PS2 systems at the time had the $200 MSRP (do they still have that price? I wouldn't know...), I don't think that was so bad. Maybe they're even cheaper now.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I definitely agree with getting an import system. The only reason I haven't is because I can horde games with the money that I would spend on a system, which will be available long after many great games are OOP. I'm waiting till the system either drops in price in Japan, or they come out with some limited edition that I just can't resist - or just wait for the "PSTwo". Though I might have to give in and just pick one up so I can finally play DDPOJ this summer....

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You really, REALLY, don't want to mess around with a modded PS2. Maybe they'll perfect them by the end of the system's life (I got a modded PSOne last year and it works perfectly), but they just don't work right yet.

I got a modded PS2 myself around the end of 2002 and it died by early 2003. I had to get a new one (unmodded US PS2... I really wanted to play Xenosaga at the time) and the $300+ I paid for a modded one went down the drain (obviously, modding a system voids your warranty). I would have saved money if I had just gotten both a US and JP PS2 (and I'd actually be able to play what I want like DoDonPachi, ESPGaluda, and Chain Dive).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find that Swap Magic boot discs are highly reliable, and a great value at only $20 or so. Then you can do the knife swap/slide card procedure, or get one of the replacement PS2 shells with the PS1 style lid. As far as I know, the only games that won't work with the version 2 DVD are the dual layer DVDs. But there are maybe a half dozen of those, so I'm told.

But these are what I've been using for about a year now, and the only thing that wouldn't work was a particular game that wasn't exactly a legit copy, let's just say. ;-)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2
    I find that Swap Magic boot discs are highly reliable, and a great value at only $20 or so. Then you can do the knife swap/slide card procedure, or get one of the replacement PS2 shells with the PS1 style lid. As far as I know, the only games that won't work with the version 2 DVD are the dual layer DVDs. But there are maybe a half dozen of those, so I'm told.

But these are what I've been using for about a year now, and the only thing that wouldn't work was a particular game that wasn't exactly a legit copy, let's just say. ;-)
    Let's say that my PS2 is very crappy and not reliable, and I have taken the screws out of and am leaving them out in case if I need to adjust the gear setting inside. If I got a swap magic disc, would I need a new PS2 lid, or would I just be able to take the PS2 part that is unscrewed off and swap discs then?
    Egbert, I miss you...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It should work fine - I've done it before. Basically, you just have to be able to switch discs without pressing the eject button, through whatever means necessary. ;-)

Unscrew the plastic cover on the drive cage, and you should just be able to lift it off, and drop it back in place as necessary. You can even get away with just using the white plastic spindle magnet, and placing it on the disc. Make sure the disc is fully aligned in the tray though. It's easy to have it crooked, and the left side will be hanging on top of that little plastic ridge.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2
    It should work fine - I've done it before. Basically, you just have to be able to switch discs without pressing the eject button, through whatever means necessary. ;-)

Unscrew the plastic cover on the drive cage, and you should just be able to lift it off, and drop it back in place as necessary. You can even get away with just using the white plastic spindle magnet, and placing it on the disc. Make sure the disc is fully aligned in the tray though. It's easy to have it crooked, and the left side will be hanging on top of that little plastic ridge.
    Cool, I think I know what I'll be doing this summer

Where can I buy swap discs?
    Egbert, I miss you...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Search for The Console Corner. I ordered mine from them, and they were nice and quick.