Thread: Ever catch a scammer?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ever catch a scammer?

I won an auction a few years ago from a seller with zero feedback. It was a power ranger megazord still in the box. I paid $25.00 for the item including shipping. After a few weeks of getting lame excuses for why I didn't have my item yet I check his feedback again. It had dropped to -11!!!!! I emailed all the people who had left him neg feedback and one guy had a phone number for me.
    I called and a woman answered the phone. I asked to speak to Ross Horvitz please. She said "Sure. Just one sec." Before she had a chance to get away I asked if she was Ross's wife or mother. She said "Oh, I'm his mother. Do you still want to talk to him?" Then I asked if he was over or under 18 years old. She said "Oh my, he's 15" Do you still want to talk to him?" She was going to let me, a perfect stranger talk to her 15 year old son without so much as a "May I ask who is calling" or anything!! Maybe I'm just a little overprotective with my kids but come on!!!

I explained why I was calling and you could hear the anger in her voice when she covered up the handset and yelled "ROSS!!!!!!!" I told her about what had happened and she appologized at least a hundred times!! She said that Ross was handing $25 to his father as we spoke. 3 days later I got a check from her in the mail!!!

I got lucky. I just wondered if anyone else had any such experience.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Good one there!

Yes, I have caught a scammer. I won an auction from a seller with 0 feedback...2 import N64 games...10.50 after shipping.

Paid, 2 weeks go by, nothing....I check the auction again. Seller is NARU'd and I begin to worry. I e-mail my inquiry about this to them and I get a "oh, this was shipped"....I wait another week, nothing. Then I e-mail them agian...same story, I even get a phony tracking number.

In the meantime searching eBay I find my games up for auction again! Same picture, same location, new user name....signed up the day after I got scammed. Had about 200 auctions listed also. High dollar stuff, some listed as NEW SEALED that were obviously already opened. Well, I e-mail again, a very long and nasty e-mail with no response. I make a few more threats then report her to eBay, Paypal and file a fraud claim. I also take the initiative and e-mail EVERY SINGLE PERSON bidding on her auctions explaining what's going on. Needless to say the bid retractions come flying in.

I then e-mail the seller again, informing her of what was happening. She responded with some nasty "I'm a lawyer, don't threaten me" e-mails also. So I keep up, more hassling her, then I find out shes selling on Yahoo! also and I report her there too.

After a few days, she caves in, she ships my item Fed-ex, she gets banned from eBay, Yahoo! and paypal....and I'm victorious and happy. More becuase I got vengence than the games.

catching a scammer is real nice!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Vengance AND the games! SWEET!!! I love the part about emailing everone who bids! Time consuming but very satisfying!!!!!!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm

Good one there!

Yes, I have caught a scammer. I won an auction from a seller with 0 feedback...2 import N64 games...10.50 after shipping.

Paid, 2 weeks go by, nothing....I check the auction again. Seller is NARU'd and I begin to worry. I e-mail my inquiry about this to them and I get a "oh, this was shipped"....I wait another week, nothing. Then I e-mail them agian...same story, I even get a phony tracking number.

In the meantime searching eBay I find my games up for auction again! Same picture, same location, new user name....signed up the day after I got scammed. Had about 200 auctions listed also. High dollar stuff, some listed as NEW SEALED that were obviously already opened. Well, I e-mail again, a very long and nasty e-mail with no response. I make a few more threats then report her to eBay, Paypal and file a fraud claim. I also take the initiative and e-mail EVERY SINGLE PERSON bidding on her auctions explaining what's going on. Needless to say the bid retractions come flying in.

I then e-mail the seller again, informing her of what was happening. She responded with some nasty "I'm a lawyer, don't threaten me" e-mails also. So I keep up, more hassling her, then I find out shes selling on Yahoo! also and I report her there too.

After a few days, she caves in, she ships my item Fed-ex, she gets banned from eBay, Yahoo! and paypal....and I'm victorious and happy. More becuase I got vengence than the games.

So you put the seller out of a lot of money he could have had? i wouldnt sellep at night for a few weeks if I was you. he does have your adress doesnt he?
    Midwest

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by charitycasegreg
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm

Good one there!

So you put the seller out of a lot of money he could have had? i wouldnt sellep at night for a few weeks if I was you. he does have your adress doesnt he?
    Heh....you gotta admit it was worth it though!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

About 1,5 years ago I won a SNES lot from eBay for $125. The seller was from Germany with solid feedback and so I made him a bank transfer and we agreed he'd ship the lot as soon as he receives the transfer.

After a week had passed, he told me he received it and that he'll ship my package first thing tomorrow. I waited two weeks (shipping from Germany to Finland so I wasn't too worried) after I contacted him again, only this time I got nothing. I harrassed him for a while telling that I'll file an EU-fraud claim to the police (sounds very scary, I bet he was shaking ). Again, no reply.
    I file the claim and check his feedback but there's no german folks on the list so I kind of forget it for a while.

Two or so months later, a german guy, let's call him Gynther, files a negative and so I contact him and tell what happened. He tells me that the seller has done this to others too and they're "hunting him down" as we speak.
    Again, time passes, but after 7 months from my payment to the scumbag, Gynther mails me that he's received $900 from the seller and he's currently sending them back to their respective owners.

After 7 months, this sounds too good to be true but to my amazement, a week later I have $125 on my account. Feels like free money.

"I never should the games I sold and I have replaced them but they are not the game just a hollow shell of the same game." -RugalSizzler

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you actually on the sellers side on this one.

You care that a crooked seller lost money ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't be too worried about it. I'm sure we're not talking about mafia here

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nah, I was just kidding. It would be funny if you knew someone was a scammer so you scammed them.
    Midwest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nah, I was just kidding. It would be funny if you knew someone was a scammer so you scammed them.
    Ever been to www.ebolamonkeyman.com ? This guy has made a hobby of replying to the Nigerian Email Scam and posting it on his site. It is freaking hilarious!!!!! Especially the one about Albert Fred!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're after the Nigerian stuff, here's also one:

http://www.419eater.com/

It has a forum and all. Share your scamming hints with your friends!

"I never should the games I sold and I have replaced them but they are not the game just a hollow shell of the same game." -RugalSizzler

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I read most of the albert fred one. They are way to freakin long to read them all. But it was funny that he messed with that scammer for over 2 months.
    Midwest