Thread: Was there 2 different versions of Dragon Warrior for the NES

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Was there 2 different versions of Dragon Warrior for the NES

I see some copies that have an instructional manual, explorer's handbook, monster chart, ect., and other copies that just have a simple instrction manual. Did all copies include all the goodies are were there two different versions released? And if so, is there any way to tell the difference just by looking at the box?
    3,582 games and counting! Pics of tons of stuff!
    Come visit and sign the guestbook:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v48/SimplyDave/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Mine had all the extras, and it was the freebie that was given away with Nintendo Power subscriptions. I don't know if that info helps. Any one get their's at regular retail?
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Are we talking about legitimate sealed copies you've open and found only a manual? Because well... is't it possible people have just lost their maps and charts?
    ________
    Mazda m5od transmission
    Last edited by Daria; 05-11-2011 at 08:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, mine was $15 from Nintendo and had everything too. Unfortunately, I lost everything else a Loooong time ago. (I'd give anything to have it complete again... Well.. not anything. Maybe a kiss on the cheek or a shake of the hand.. and a buck. Two bucks. And shipping. But especially a kiss or a hand shake.. or both.)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The regular retail copy included the little regular instruction manual and game, nothing else.

The explorers handbook (which is actually a strategy guide) and monster chart were additional items to the actual game and manual given by Nintendo for a 2 year subscription of Nintendo Power. (everything, including the game was free) It was part of an effort by Nintendo to popularize RPGs.

There is also confusion about the big Dragon Warrior map and a relatively thin Dragon Warrior guide in magazine format which are sometimes offered with the game. Map and guide didn't come with the game but are parts of of an early issue of Nintendo Power.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin
    There is also confusion about the big Dragon Warrior map and a relatively thin Dragon Warrior guide in magazine format which are sometimes offered with the game. Map and guide didn't come with the game but are parts of of an early issue of Nintendo Power.
    My Map and Guide (Handbook) came with the game itself.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    My Map and Guide (Handbook) came with the game itself.
    Sorry, I forgot that the regular game came with a map indeed. The Explorers Handbook, however, did not come with the regular came...ONLY if you got the game from Nintendo, then it came as an additional item.

To clarify:

1. There is only one version of the game. It came with the usual manual, game, and one map (the dungeons on one side, a monster chart on the other).

2. The plastic post-card size Monster Chart and the Explorers handbook were promotional items by Nintendo for a 2year NP-subscription which shipped with the game (see 1).

3. The big magazine-format map of the overworld and a strategy guide (brownish title page) in magazine format have nothing to do with the retail copy of the game, but are parts of an early NP issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. There is only one version of the game. It came with the usual manual, game, and one map (the dungeons on one side, a monster chart on the other).

2. The plastic post-card size Monster Chart and the Explorers handbook were promotional items by Nintendo for a 2year NP-subscription which shipped with the game (see 1).

3. The big magazine-format map of the overworld and a strategy guide (brownish title page) in magazine format have nothing to do with the retail copy of the game, but are parts of an early NP issue.
    Yep. There ya go. We got ours with the mag. Actually, at the time, I didn't know it was for the Mag! I thought it was a $15 game! I had no idea where the mag came from. Now I know.

Funny story. At the time I was only 8. I had no idea what an RPG was. I had only played SMB1 and maybe something else until then. One day we got a neat poster in the mail for a game. I WISH I COULD SEE THAT AGAIN! It had a catchy phrasing on it. Ghosts and stuff and stuff. I forget it, but my sister and I repeated it over and over. And we talked Dad into buying the game for us. (Soon to find out it was the subscription) If ANYONE still has that cool poster advertisement, PLEASE Scan it! I'd LOVE to see that again!

I just wish I hadn't lost the map long ago. That really could have come in handy many times. Is there a GIF/JPG Scanned somewhere? Someone oughta scan that thing for us...

[Checks GameFaq's]

Well, someone created an Overworld Map. But What I wanna see is the original map and chart with the color-coded monster zones. (It showed you where all the monsters hung out so you could stay in the correct area and not accidentally stumble onto a GoldMan as a Level 3 Knight. It was cool. And it had the monster chart with all the stats. How much HP, what Gold you get. Experience gaining. I'd like to see those two sides again. At least the Zone map.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks a million for clearing that up, lendelin. I was thinking about buying a sealed copy and I wanted to know if there were differences. Thanks bro.
    3,582 games and counting! Pics of tons of stuff!
    Come visit and sign the guestbook:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v48/SimplyDave/

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

I found an envelope that was my older half sister's in her closet recently... guess what's in it? Everything is there
    Egbert, I miss you...

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hmm.. this is nice to know. I had no clue.

Anyways... it might be appropriate to add that there is a slight label variation. The older dragon warrior carts had a bright yellow top label whereas the newer cartridges had a buttersotch top label.

-Josh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Qixmaster
    hmm.. this is nice to know. I had no clue.

Anyways... it might be appropriate to add that there is a slight label variation. The older dragon warrior carts had a bright yellow top label whereas the newer cartridges had a buttersotch top label.

-Josh
    I noticed that! Mine's yellow. But I had seen a couple butter ones at GS and just thought it was faded. (But thought it was strange only the top was faded.)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are sort of 2 versions to this game. Version one has a "leather shield", and Version 2 has a "small shield"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Postermen
    There are sort of 2 versions to this game. Version one has a "leather shield", and Version 2 has a "small shield"
    Do you mean on the packaging? Or the handbook? Or the cart? Or in the game? Or where?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm. You sure it's not a regional thing? I wonder why they'd change a small thing like that.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is only ONE version of the game. However, I had no idea that there are two minor label variations, thanks for clearing that up. (My two copies have the butterscotch label)

But...that's embarrassing now...I have to correct my posts again. (That's what you get when you rely on your memory alone. I actually opened my Dragon Warrior box, and it has TWO maps, not only one as I posted before.

ok, here is the FINAL accurate version.

1. The retail copy came with

a)the usual manual,

b) game,

c) one map with the 'monster identification chart" on one side (shows the overworld with color coded areas where each monster predominantly occurs) and on the other side the entire overworld (with red numbered dots, framed by depictions of the caves and castles referring to the red numbers),

d) a second map titled 'Dungeon Maps" with maps of the caves and castles on one side, and on the other side is a Dragon Warrior poster.

2. The plastic post-card size "Dragon Warrior Adventure Guide" (table with levels, Exp points and spells acquired, etc.) and the "Explorers Handbook" (a mini Strategy guide the size of the game box) were promotional items by Nintendo for a 2year NP-subscription which shipped with the game (game and items were free) (see 1).

3. The big magazine-format map of the overworld (no red numbers on it, not framed by depictions of castles and caves) and a strategy guide (brownish title page) in magazine format have nothing to do with the retail copy of the game, but are parts of an early NP issue.

Don't blame me for the confusion, blame Nintendo and the marketing guys of Nintendo Power.

I have everything in mint condition, unfortunately I don't have a scanner so I could post it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds about right. I don't remember #3, but I did have #1 and #2. And yeah, they were from NP. And here I am 15 years later getting the Zelda Collection with my subscription instead.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    Sounds about right. I don't remember #3, but I did have #1 and #2. And yeah, they were from NP. And here I am 15 years later getting the Zelda Collection with my subscription instead.
    I only posted #3 because sometimes the game is offered boxed with the NP map (as a substitute for the missing maps) which has nothing to do with the maps which were in the retail copy of the game. The two maps which came with the game are relatively thin, and are folded so they fit into the box, whereas the NP map is thicker and folded once horizontally and vertically)Some sellers offer the game with the Explorers handbook and call it "manual" because they lack the actual manual (which has a dark blue cover). The confusion is understandable.

If you want a complete game you have to make sure that the two maps come with it, and the manual. All the other stuff are promotional items and parts of Nintendo Power.

Well, I'm glad you guys didn't crucify me on Eastern for posting two times the wrong information.