Thread: EPROM Burner! ?

Strawberry (Level 2) Necrosaro420's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default EPROM Burner! ?

I was just wondering if anyone had any links to the specific eprom burner that I would need for NES games. I am looking to get into this as a hobby, and ill only be using it for NES games and nothing else. Also if you all dont mind, what are all type of eproms that NES carts/games use? And where can I purchase those? Thanks Alot!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well... IMO, the best overall for the price would have to be a Willem burner... you can get one at www.willem.org , and I think a lot of people sell them on ebay too. I've tried others, but most of the other cheap ones have a very limited number of chips it can burn, and the others that can burn lots of chips are usually pretty expensive. The only downside to the Willem is that it's pretty slow compared to some other burners I've used. There is open source software for it, so you can add more chips if you found some that weren't supported...

About the types of chips you'd need, well... none of them would directly pop in place, but just check some tutorials and it'll tell you which ones work best. Most of the pins line up when you pull the original mask ROM out, but there's a few that you need to connect somewhere else.

Once again, I'd say buy the EPROMs from ebay... you can usually get a decent size lot of chips for about the same price as a couple chips from an electronics dealer.

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What specific types of chips do I need? What all chips that is, does NES carts Use? Is there a list anywhere of all the ones they use? And which one off of willems site do I need to buy? Personally, All for the most part I care about is if it would burn all the chips for the NES. Maybe after I learn how to do those, and feel adventurous, other systems. Thanks!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Before you even think about burning chips, you must know how to remove old chip, solder, and fix PCB boards (in case a problem occurs while removing).

This is not something you can learn by reading about it. It's something you learn over time with experience or in school.

How comfortable are you with installing mod chips in PS2 or XBOX systems?? If you can't do it.. then save yourself the time and $$$..

otherwise, google for NESDEV.. lots of info out there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes I have did my ps2 myself, the xbox I did myself also but its a non solder. Fix the PCB how ? Ill be the first to admit ive soldered a few things in my life. But I do pick things up very quickly. I dont really care if I lose any money doing it, its just something for me to do in my spare time when I have nothing else to do, and also try to learn something new in the process. Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Willem will burn all the chips you need for the NES... the chips that you need to burn depends on the game you want to play... if the ROM is 128kbytes (1mbit, because there's 8 bits in a byte), then you'd need a 27c010. An EPROM for the most part will start with 27c, then the numbers after it will tell you the size in bits (not bytes), so a 27c512 is a 512kbit chip (64kbyte), a 27c020 is a 2 mbit chip (256kbyte). Then you'll have to know the pinouts of the original mask ROMs and of the EPROM you plan on putting in there, and usually you just need to modify a few pins, and of course you need to know what carts each game will actually play on (since there are MANY different carts).

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These guys http://www.tototek.com/ sell flash carts for various retro gaming systems. They just released their SNES flash cart, and rumor has it that they are working on a NES flash cart. Burning games to the cart is as easy as plugging the cart into the flasher station that you can also buy from them and hook that up to your computer.