Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Three Days of 3DO: A Look Back

Yours truly is just about to wrap up a "rekindling" session with my 3DO and its game library, done mainly for the book research but also to once again attempt to "get my money's worth" of a console that cost me $700. If you didn't know, I bought my 3DO on launch day. I still have the receipt AND that original console bought on that fateful day.

So besides the fact that the unit has been quite reliable for over ten years, I had to go back to see how well or poorly the library has aged. I have a complete US library and quite a lot of imports, so this would take up lots of time. Thought I would share some of my random thoughts and notes with you.

- By the weekend I should have two screenshots for pretty much every US 3DO title, which you'll find in both the gallery and in the game rarity lists. Figured while I was researching I might as well get some screen caps for the site and book.

- I started my research with the games that I play the least: the non-games, the kids' stuff, the educational software, that kind of thing. Nothing of interest to note here, other than the fact that this machine simply isn't cut out to do a lot of the things the developers thought it could do. Things like the 20th Century Almanac and Life Stage (a virtual "interior decorator") are both clumsy with a joypad interface as well as intolerably slow. It may not have seemed as bad in 1994, but it's just ponderous stuff by today's standards.

- Nothing cries out "early days of multimedia" like some of these 3DO games that were ported from the PC. It's amazing how many developers thought it would be cool to have 3D modeled CGI characters in their games. It's not cool, and MAN does it date the software. Avoid games like Cyberia, Lost Eden, Creature Shock, Hell, and Dragon Lore. They REEK of 1993 and despite some pretty interesting themes and well-meaning gameplay, they're part of that clumsy "let's show how this console is actually as good as a PC" mentality that clearly didn't convince anyone of that fact back in the day.

- Then there are the games that simply didn't age well. They were great between 1994-1995 but along came PlayStation and Saturn and suddenly we all understood what a 32-bit console could REALLY do. Example: I used to LOVE Killing Time, Studio 3DO's take on the first-person shooter. Killing Time features some truly terrific character designs, cut-scenes built right into the game (like FMV ghosts that would appear when you walk into a room but you could walk through or past them), and a ton of levels. Well, it's pretty bad by today's standards. The graphics are actually quite sparse, the characters terribly pixellated when up close, but worst of all is the frame rate. We weren't talking too much about frame rates back then, but Killing Time would be the poster child for good games destroyed by frame rates. Another candidate would be Star Fighter, which is just SUCH a great game that would be a classic to this very day (at least for me) if the frame rate were just a hair better. A hair better would make them tolerable. I have yet to play the PlayStation version of Star Fighter, but I'll bet it's a hidden gem.

- On the positive side there were also a few titles that I DIDN'T play much back then but found myself havnig all kinds of fun with now. Icebreaker is the first that springs to mind, an action puzzle game where you have to eliminate the triangular shapes from the playfield by either smashing them down, shooting them, or luring bad guys into them. You're a triangle as well. So are the bad guys. This is probably why I didn't "get it" back then but as it turns out the game has not only aged well but I'd venture to say that it relates better to today's mix of games. It's a puzzle-shooter, and there just aren't enough of those.

- Back to a bad note while I'm thinking of it. All of the FMV games - every one of them that should use a light gun- is completely useless without the light gun. Don't even bother to try.

- Two games that failed in nearly biblical proportions to bring digitized character graphics to 3DO: the fighting game Shadow and the FPS Virtuoso. They actually both manage the characters alright, but they're stuck inside of extremely poor games. But then again, we knew that even back then.

- Alone in the Dark 2 should have never been made.

- Plumbers Don't Wear Ties should have never been thought out loud.

- There were lots of nice little surprises, games that I either didn't own back then and bought because I needed 'em for the collection. Dino Park Tycoon, which certainly appears by all exterior appearances to be a kids game - if it can even be seen as a game at all - turns out to be a very competent Resource Management game with heavy Theme Park overtones. I actually found myself saving my park to go back to later. Mind you, I relate very well with games marked "for ages 8+".

- Another nice surprise: Guardian War. One of just a handful of RPG's on the system, Guardian War could even be called a forefather to the "tactics"-style RPG's of today, complete with changing character jobs/class and upgrading their body types. I wasn't a big fan of the game back then, but must admit that I found it really addictive and had to force myself to put it down and move along. I do plan on going back to that one as well.

- Seal of the Pharoah is possibly the worst RPG ever made.

- How did Doom turn out so bad and Castle Wolfenstein turn out so good?

- Everything else that I categorized as "great games" back then hold true to that today. Return Fire, Super Street Fighter II, Blade Force, Road Rash, Lucienne's Quest, Star Control II, and yes, the much-debated Way of the Warrior... I LOVE these games. And for these titles I will never part with my 3DO.

- If you're into FMV, this library has three of the best: Snow Job, Night Trap, and Psychic Detective. Forget everything you've heard about FMV and give these a shot. Even if you played and hated Night Trap in the 90's I had fun gettnig frustrated with it again, NOW primarily for the sheer cheeziness of the game. It's comedy gold. I'd put Sewer Shark into this category as well, but the game is pretty monotonous outside of the hilarious cut scenes.

- Four great sports titles: FIFA Soccer, Madden Football, Foes of Ali and Olympic Summer Games. Sure, they were ALL done on other consoles as well, but these are the BEST of those first-gen games (Foes of Ali surely being the predecessor of Knockout Kings with has now become Fight Night). They all still hold up well, even with the slightly dated polygon technology used in Ali and Olympic Summer. Give them a try.

- I remember this being a problem before but I discovered it again. Neurodancer crashes. Yes, I'm being a naughty boy by asking Jennifer to take her shorts off before her top, but that's no reason to bail out of the program on me, is it? OK maybe it is

- AD&D Slayer is still a pleasant surprise. AD&D DeathKeep is still a huge disappointment.

- I will never know Who Shot Johnny Rock.

Lunch hour's over - gotta run! Just wanted to share these thoughts with current and future 3DO gamers!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Arqueologia_Digital's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, i remember seeing Way of the warrior reviews in local magazines and i got impacted with the game in that moment...i wanted the machine, but here costs $ 1000!!!!!!!and my parents bought me a computer instead of the 3DO...but itīs a machine that always love, other tittle that "impacted" me was Gridder...with that stupid clown
    Recently i saw it in a VG store for $ 150 with 100 pirate games...but i didnīt bought it...maybe in a few months...

Matías

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The fact that you can stomach half those games, shows dedication, heh.

You don't like Alone in the Dark though?

All things considered I think AitD has aged quite well, it has a retro kinda feel, imo, and in ways takes more thinking cause of all the possible solutions. Hell, Resident Evil didn't let you drop items anywhere. Ah well, to each their own I guess. I just had to defend this game a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just had to defend this game a bit
    I think Alone in the dark saga was only good at PC...but only the first one...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm... interesting. Very interesting indeed...

I need to find more 3DO games. It's one of the only game systems in my small apartment, along with the Playstation 2, Saturn, and Dreamcast. I may even return THAT to my parents' storage shed once the FreeDO emulator starts working a little more smoothly, but for the time being I'll be keeping it around.

I was never able to enjoy the Japanese games in the 3DO library. Greg Wilcox sent me this crazy supermodel game where you set up a magazine cover and would be rewarded with full motion video of the girl on the front, depending on the quality of your layout. It was amazingly tough... I was only able to get the movie footage once, and Greg said he couldn't get it to come up at all. To this day I wonder just what criteria the game engine uses to determine what magazine covers are worthy of being rewarded.

One more thought to add to Joe's... Super Street Fighter II Turbo is a great translation, nearly on par with the Saturn version on Street Fighter Collection. However, the control setup is evil. If you've got any six button controllers which put X on the front of the pad, you might as well throw them out, because Super Street Fighter II Turbo uses that as the pause button, and the 3DO's designated pause button as an attack. I can't help but think that was intentional, in the hopes of selling more of Capcom's funky Soldier Pads.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Huh. Coincidentally, my very own 3DO system should be waiting for me in the mail when I get home tonight. If anyone has a Braindead 13 they want to part with, lemmee know!
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One more thought to add to Joe's... Super Street Fighter II Turbo is a great translation
    Thatīs true...i played it in a friendīs house some years ago and i remembered when we discovered the trick to reveal Akuma!!!, he KILL BISON!!!!!YEAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recently got Return Fire for Playstation and it reminded how i loved to play it on a friend's 3DO.

Games like Road Rash, Need for Speed, Guardian War, Wing Commander games, are really great games of the 3DO.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd
    The fact that you can stomach half those games, shows dedication, heh.

You don't like Alone in the Dark though?

All things considered I think AitD has aged quite well, it has a retro kinda feel, imo, and in ways takes more thinking cause of all the possible solutions. Hell, Resident Evil didn't let you drop items anywhere. Ah well, to each their own I guess. I just had to defend this game a bit.
    Alone in the Dark I LOVE - it's a great port and still fun to play.

My comment was that Alone in the Dark 2 should have never been made. They added all kinds of silly gunfighting. Combat is hard enough with that game engine without having to concern yourself about the aim!

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman
    Huh. Coincidentally, my very own 3DO system should be waiting for me in the mail when I get home tonight. If anyone has a Braindead 13 they want to part with, lemmee know!
    You're coming out to NJ for NJ Classic on the 24th, right? Someone needs to show me the way through Braindead 13. I find it to be the hardest FMV ever made! Also I can hook you up with my doubles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny
    Games like Road Rash, Need for Speed, Guardian War, Wing Commander games, are really great games of the 3DO.
    Oh...need for speed, how could i forgot that game???, i love the stage in the port at night with the sunken ship...

You're coming out to NJ for NJ Classic on the 24th, right?
    hehe, remember to post some pics after the meeting, i love this kind of photos!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

I'll be curious on your "new" takes on Need For Speed and Zhagnost: The Peoples Party...

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    You're coming out to NJ for NJ Classic on the 24th, right? Someone needs to show me the way through Braindead 13. I find it to be the hardest FMV ever made! Also I can hook you up with my doubles.
    Phoo. 'Fraid not. I'll be packing for my annual week-long business trip. This time o' year is a busy one for me. But keep the spare room open for the next one. I'll be crashin next time. (No more of this Ohio-NJ-Ohio in 24 hours BS. x_x )
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very nice retrospective on the 3DO.

Guardian War is one the few 3DO games I still have around, and I have to say the soundtrack on that game is INCREDIBLE. The game itself gets a bit boring later on (I remember my main character would always become practically unbeatable while the rest of my part lagged), but I pull it out every once in a while just to hear that rockin' soundtrack.

Shadow: War of Succession is one of the worst games ever from a technical standpoint. But it's soooo much fun with a couple of friends. I love to mock the awful voices.

I only had the demo of Icebreaker (I believe it was on the last volume of the demo disc series), but that game truly is a blast. It's one of those cases where it didn't much attention because it wasn't pushing the system like the early 3D games were, but unlike those it has solid gameplay that stands the test of time.

I really need to build my 3DO collection back up. I miss some of the classics like Star Control II and Road Rash.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by le geek
    I'll be curious on your "new" takes on Need For Speed and Zhagnost: The Peoples Party...
    Well I can comment on Need for Speed since that was in my wheelhouse over those three days. Though the game still LOOKS good, it's got some real serious frame rate issues. Read my comments about Star Fighter above but replace with Need for Speed... same exact deal, right up the PSX port.

I did plug in Zhadnost but unfortunately that game REQUIRES 2 or more players. It's gonna have to wait until the gang is here. I haven't played the game in five years but both that and its predecessor Twisted were party favorites here for quite some time.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: 3 Days of 3DO

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    - How did Doom turn out so bad and Castle Wolfenstein turn out so good?
    What was bad about Doom? Or would that be, everything?

Too lazy to probably ever finish up my older games, but collection funtime.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How was the 3DO version of The Incredible Machine? I love the game on the PC, but I haven't heard anything about the 3DO one, which is the only console version I know of.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Re: 3 Days of 3DO

Quote Originally Posted by bluberry
    What was bad about Doom? Or would that be, everything?
    Well, it has a "forced border", like the 32X version. You know, on the PC you used that border to shrink the picture and speed up the game play on slower PC's. What's crazy is that it's STILL SLOW! Everything moves around very choppily.

Also for some strange reason the soundtrack has been "remixed". I like it, but I'll bet most Doom purists wouldn't.

How was the 3DO version of The Incredible Machine? I love the game on the PC, but I haven't heard anything about the 3DO one, which is the only console version I know of.
    It seems like a solid game, unfortunately these brainy games totally elude me. If I can't break something or at least kill something 20 seconds into the game I get impatient... and if the game actually requires the player to use his brain - well then, I"m OUT.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tracked down some MP3s and I kinda like the remixes. I'll get the rest.

I just hated how every music track was replaced by ambience in PSX Doom. It was cool and scary, but didn't work for every level. Besides, Doom 2 had great music.

Too lazy to probably ever finish up my older games, but collection funtime.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Nothing about Road Rash??