Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: attn mods: DO WE NEED TO USE SPOILER WARNINGS?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default attn mods: DO WE NEED TO USE SPOILER WARNINGS?

Okay. The hyper-critical members of this board are now *attacking* me because I don't use spoiler warnings.

So MODERATORS: [Please] Make a ruling. Are we supposed to be using "spoiler warnings" when we discuss old games like Final Fantasy 7 or Super Mario World?

Troy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

What we really need is a no whining zone...

Tempest

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm leaving because I'm getting sick of it
    WOOHOO!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: attn mods: DO WE NEED TO USE SPOILER WARNINGS?

Quote Originally Posted by theaveng
    If so, I'm leaving because I'm getting sick of it.
    Man, is it Christmas already?
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh good, the innocent victim act again..

MankeyMan had a right to be annoyed with you and his remark was lighthearted at most, yet you're trying to make a big deal out of it in yet another attempt to portray yourself as the poor victim.

So..

Quote Originally Posted by In response to theaveng's remarks in the FF thread, I
    It's not necessary to put Spoiler Warnings on a game that's 5 years old.
    This is a Classic Gaming Board, meaning that the majority of people here will have some interest in classic games and will be playing through many of those which they never got to play the first time around, often under the reccomendation of others on the board, thus the game is new to that person and the ending is just as important to them as the ending of any new game, irrespective of the age of the game.

I can understand putting spoiler warnings on new games like FF10, but not everything.
    Why?!, what makes FF10's story more important than one of the older FF games, it can't be age because that certainly doesn't dictate the quality of a game's storyline. To a person who hasn't played the older game and the newer game but who wishes to, other than personal preference there is nothing to place a higher value on either of the games ending and thus unmarked spoilers on either would be equally damaging, thus spoilers regarding key storyline elements or game endings should always be marked.

Ruining the ending of a old game / movie for someone who hasn't played it is exactly the same as ruining the ending of a new game / Movie.

The rule in TV newsgroups is that anything older than a year does not require a warning. The same rule should apply here for games.
    This is not a TV Newsgroup, this is a Classic Gaming Board, you don't make the rules and you should be mature enough to respect the rights of others to choose whether or not they want to read spoilers.
    All the way from the original thread where you started all this, yet just as relevant here..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*sniff*

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay. The hyper-critical members of this board are now *attacking* me because I don't use spoiler warnings.

So MODERATORS: Make a ruling. Are we supposed to be using "spoiler warnings" when we discuss old games like Final Fantasy 7 or Super Mario World?
    Troy, if you even need to ask, a good rule of thumb is to go ahead and use spoiler warnings. Nobody's gonna jump on your case for showing *too much* courtesy. And what's with the constant ordering around of the moderators? You didn't ASK us to make a ruling, you demanded a ruling. FYI, that might rub some people the wrong way.

AND, is attacking people okay on this board? If so, I'm leaving because I'm getting sick of it. I come here for FUN, not to have people threatening me with their fists just because I discussed FF7's ending.Troy
    Troy, you bring it all on yourself. In fact, you've personally attacked several users on more than one occasion. I haven't seen you issue any apologies, so stop your whining. If you're sick of it, no need to complain, the exit door is always open.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest
    What we really need is a no whining zone...

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Troy, we'll give you common courtesy if you give it back to us in return.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Antics said it best above. If you have to ask, then you probably should, because it shows some lingering doubts in your own mind. And, yes, it is a courtesy thing, but not anything we can (or should) enforce.

Unlike other videogames, RPGs actually do have a storyline and an ending. And, if you persist in revealing what's on the last page of that novel or any twist developments, be prepared for some upset folks.

SPOILER WARNING.......

Darth Vader is Luke's father.
    Norman Bates is his own mother.
    The psychologist played by Bruce Willis was actually dead the whole time.
    And the chick is actually a dude in The Crying Game.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Here's an idea to throw out:

if the title was recently released, use spoiler warning sbut if it's 6 months to one yr or longer don't bother.

*Still thinks we should have a rpg forum.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On the one hand, I would say that it's almost a given, when ONE game gets discussed SO much in a thread, that someone is going to talk about the ending at some point or another, so I would suppose people shouldn't be too shocked. And, if it's a first time mistake (ie, you're not the guy everyone knows who ALWAYS has to give away the ending), then I'd just say "sorry" and hopefully people can move on. At least you know to attach *spoiler* warnings in the future.
    However.. I usually stay out of these things, but, it's pretty obvious from the thread that was started in the Battlezone (which is where "attacking" usually takes place) that you've rubbed quite a few people the wrong way and used up any slack they might have been willing to give you, and they'll now jump all over any percieved mistake you make. I don't see in any way how this could, would, or should involve the moderators of the board. IF attacks get out of hand, the moderators know what to do, and if none have seemed to pick up on it, a well-placed PM would suffice, rather than publicly posting complaints for grudge points.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Err....if you perceived me as "attacking you" in the "Final Fantasy X-Stupid" thread, you have my apologies. I really didn't mean it like that.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Not an issue for the mods really. It's kind of common curtiousy to let someone know when you're about to reveal an ending of something or a crucial plot point, regardless of if you're on a message board or in real life. That way those of us who haven't expierenced what you are talking about can avert the eyes and not have something ruined for us. Yep, it's about thinking of someone else, sorry if you see that as an inconvience.

AND, is attacking people okay on this board? If so, I'm leaving because I'm getting sick of it. I come here for FUN, not to have people threatening me with their fists just because I discussed FF7's ending.

Troy
    LEAVE ALREADY!!!!!! God, I'm getting sick of the whiny ass "everyone is picking on me" bullshit!

SPOILER ALERT:

Troy isn't going anywhere. He will stay here and continue to whine like a 6 year old who didn't get all the toys they wanted for christmas. He will also accuse me of attacking him for posting this, and I will not care.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So MODERATORS: [Please] Make a ruling. Are we supposed to be using "spoiler warnings" when we discuss old games like Final Fantasy 7 or Super Mario World?

Troy
    How am I being hypocritical? I have never revealed the ending of any game on this board. I couldn't actually give a damn if people reveal the last boss of a game (which in FF7s case, i'm guessing, is Sephiroth), or even how to beat him, but revealing the ending is stupid, and the fact that you haven't even apologised, and have instead started up a pointless thread about it. On top of that you are now whining that 'the mods' have told you to put spoilers in front of game endings, which isn't the decision you wanted.
    Just back down. I haven't really had a problem with your top XX lists, or anything else, but arguing when you are clearly wrong is pathetic.
    Conform. Consume. Obey.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He didn't say "hypocritical" he said "hyper-critical". You know, as in "very", or "overly" critical.

Not saying I necessarily agree or disagree, just clearing up a misunderstanding.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

While I'm not involved in this argument. I have to say this guys demeanor has rubbed me the wrong way and spoilers suck..

Maybe we should have a democratic vote on banning this guy if need be...

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry, didn't see that he'd written hyper-critical.
    Oh look, i'm admitting to making a mistake.[/quote]
    Conform. Consume. Obey.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*adds another notch in the "spoilers should always be marked until the end of time" catetory*

That should be done within reason of course. For example, I don't think it's wrong to not mark something that happens in the first few hours of a RPG. Giving away the ending of any story-driven game though should definitely be forewarned.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Troy[/quote]

LEAVE ALREADY!!!!!! God, I'm getting sick of the whiny ass "everyone is picking on me" bullshit!

SPOILER ALERT:

Troy isn't going anywhere. He will stay here and continue to whine like a 6 year old who didn't get all the toys they wanted for christmas. He will also accuse me of attacking him for posting this, and I will not care.[/quote]

Damn you CW! I didn't know that was going to happen! You've ruined it for me!

Actually, I am beginning to doubt the very existence of "theaveng" at this point. The regularity of incidents like this is quite suspicious, frankly. In fact, I have suspected for some time that "theaveng" is actually Joe S., engaging in some kind of bizzarre and subversive sociological experimentation.

However, I could be wrong on that point; it could be another mod, or an otherwise well-regarded regular. This person is too skilled at getting people riled up to just be some regular dude, or a lurker or something.

the kid

...or maybe, a previously banned or otherwise outcast looking for revenge? "theaveng" indeed!