Thread: Monday Morning MAME Club [4/192/04] - You Tell Us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Monday Morning MAME Club [4/192/04] - You Tell Us!

Greetings fellow MAMErs!

We're taking a break from the regular MAME club format this week. Instead of us telling YOU what game to play this week, we'd like you to share some information with US this time!

The first question is, what MAME ROMs have you been playing lately? That doesn't include ones that the club has picked, of course! What ROMs are your favorites?? When you're bored, what games do you always fall back on??

The second question is, what is your MAME setup like? What version of MAME are you running? Are you using a front end? Do you use the keyboard, or a joystick? Are you playing on a PC, a laptop, or a MAME cabinet? And if a cabinet, are you using a PC monitor or an arcade monitor? What color is your chair? Ok, maybe not THAT much detail, but let us know what your MAMEing setup is like!

We'll return to the regularly scheduled program next week. Please note that I am going to start e-mailing people earlier, and I may mail you weeks before your turn just to have a choice in advance. It's getting too complicated jumping forwards and backwards for people who pick late; if you miss your turn, it'll be back to the end of the line for you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I almost forgot, here's my info!

My standby games include Shinobi and Excitebike. No matter what else I do on MAME, I always have those two ROMs on standby. I also usually have Bubble Bobble, Galaga, and Bust-A-Move around somewhere. I like games I can run and play without getting too involved in usually.

I have two different MAME setups. My first is my laptop. I think I'm still running Mame .74 on it. It's a 1.8ghz machine with a 15" screen. I've got a couple of PSX-clone USB controllers that I use. My other system is my MAME cabinet. It's got a 2.0ghz machine and runs out to a 21" computer monitor. The controls are the joysticks and buttons from a Nintendo cabinet.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

For me mostly it's playing random games like TMNT and 1943. i gotta go through all my roms ot make sure they work sometime soon, and go through the MAME rom site you guys showed me some time ago to collect some more before I redo my system.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Arqueologia_Digital's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always play MAME in PC, usually Bomb Jack, The Hustler, Parodius and The Punisher...recently i finished Vendetta...

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Default Re: Monday Morning MAME Club [4/192/04] - You Tell Us!

The first question is, what MAME ROMs have you been playing lately?

I usually stick with the classics... Moon Patrol, Berzerk, Wizard of Wor, that sort of thing. I play the occaisional game of Samurai Shodown or Metal Slug, but my heart is in the 80's.

The second question is, what is your MAME setup like? What version of MAME are you running? Are you using a front end? Do you use the keyboard, or a joystick?

I use the same PC for everything I do. It's a rather old 400MHz deal running Linux, but it gets the job done. As for front ends, I actually wrote my own to some degree. I was disappointed with the other emulator front ends, so it's a really simple program that just shows a chosen list of files and runs them with a specific command. It's simple, but it gets the job done (I use the same thing as a frontend for NES and 2600 emulators amung others). I also use GXMame on occaision, but my own program is faster and smaller, and with such an old system, every bit counts.

I bought a Logitech Wingman Rumblepad a while back with the intention of using it mostly for MAME, but I'm disappointed with it. It suffers from "Gravis Diagonals", where the D-pad seems to sink into the diagonals rather than the cardinal directions. I also have some extremely annoying problems with the left analog stick loosing it's centering. I'm not sure what is causing this though, since it only seems to happen in MAME. I'm not picky though, so I have no problem with using the keyboard. My main intention with the gamepad was for games like Cloack & Dagger and Robotron, since it has the dual analog sticks.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I recently downloaded Psychic 5 (which was highly recommended by someone) and Road Fighter (whose name I only recently learned, after having played it long, long ago), but I have yet to play either of them.

I use MAME32 Plus!, mostly because it is available in a P6-optimized version.