Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I collect loose carts. Do you?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me, it depends on the system. While I never pass up cheap loose games, for many systems I am a completist and will upgrade to complete games when I am able. I'm a completist for N64, Saturn, and Odyssey2 (PDF was SO RIGHT about O2 packaging), and pretty much any of the modern nonportables. Anything else like NES, Atari, Coleco, etc I am fine with loose carts. In fact for most of those systems I specifically trade away boxes and manuals to people who actually want them to be sure they end up in a good home. I may not want them myself but I do still respect their place in a collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

For Atari 2600 games I try for cart and manual. I keep some boxes for resale value, but don't seek them out.

For Genesis, I don't say no to complete, but cart only will do.

For Turbo Grafx I prefer hucard, jewel case and manual.

For others cart only is fine

For CDs I prefer complete, but I do have a CD case with a bunch of PSX games...

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I wonder what condition the boxes are for each of the "complete collectors" whose Doomed Rooms we see :P I wouldn't claim an item as collectable if it wasn't in very decent shape, especially true of cardboard boxes. If it doesn't look good I'll consider it playable but not part of my "real collection."

Now some stuff I have no choice but to collect carts only, like in store demos and Sega Mega Tech carts. I don't believe I'll find a boxed red "Sample" label Master System cartridge, for example.

The more expensive an item is the more I'll want to get it in its complete state, like Neo Geo AES carts. I wouldn't consider buying a loose one for the collection (unless it is s00per rare); I'd consider it playable or perhaps a future sale...though I haven't ever sold an item.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i seem to be with the majority, i prefer complete, but i will not pass up loose if the price is right.

For 2600, NES, and Super NES boxes, i collapse the boxes and store them separately from the games. The great thing about NES carts is that they are pretty close to the height and width of a CD jewel case, so they fit great on shelving made for CDs (as long as there arent individual slots)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well considering i SOLD as many of my boxes and manuals as i could...
    I actually despise boxes and manuals. the carts go into plastic storage drawers and discs go into a 200-capacity cd wallet/binder thing.
    on a side note...at least i kept my boxes around until i could sell them....back in the day my friends used to smash or burn them...i witnessed the incineration of a Super Mario RPG box and the smashing of a ToeJam and Earl box.....

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

I collect primarily loose games. Boxes and manuals, though they're good to have, take up more space that could be used for holding more games. If I can find the box and manual, that's all well and good, but it's not a requirement.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Atari, NES, SNES, Coleco I collect loose, but like most of you, if I can get it complete, Im down for it.
    Xbox, DC, Intelly and Genny I collect complete only except in rare occasions.

Q to the B-E-R-T
    Kirby's my bitch!

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I collect carts loose, and then get the manuals and boxes for them, if I want, later. Though if I find something boxed by some chance I do snatch it up.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Pretzel (Level 4) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

Pre-crash (RCA, etc.): whatever I can get (my Studio II games are complete, though!)
    NES: loose, with cart sleeves (don't care about manuals)
    SMS: boxed (manual not required)
    Lynx: whatever (I'm not really collecting for it at the moment)
    Genesis: boxed (manual not required, but I'm a bit picky)
    Game Boy original and Color: whatever (boxed, loose, anything)
    N64: complete (all my old stuff is complete, but I'm probably gonna settle for loose)
    Game Boy Advance: complete (box and manual)
    Anything with discs: complete and clean (I hate scratches - it means someone really didn't care)

The exception with disc games is with jewel cases (Dreamcast and PS1) - if the outer case is crappy-looking, I have no problem replacing pieces if need be. But the game and all the paper stuff must be present.

I'm not a stickler for perfection in labels or manual condition, so long as everything's there. And I'm willing to clean up dirty carts, too - I consider it my duty to the cause.
    Active systems owned: Wii, X360, PS3
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS
    Systems wanted: Coleco, 7800, TG16, GG, 3DS, Vita, WiiU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NES carts i need the manuals for...though i only have about 1/2 the manuals i need. I want snes manuals too, but not as important.

I'll trade away boxes for anything EXCEPT rpg's...or zelda titles...i don't even like rpg's anymore, i just like their boxes

CD games need to be complete (though i have a few loose psx).

I'll take any loose cart with rental stickers or marker on it, as i've always been able to get it off completely. extensive label damage is a no-no, but a little peeling doesn't get me too upset. I'm just starting a tg16/duo collection, and i think i'm gonna shoot for completes only on that (not like i'll find any in the wild anyways)