Thread: good game shops in nyc?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default good game shops in nyc?

hey me and my gameing buddy are heading to NYC tomamrow for the day and i was wondering if there is any good used game shops in the timesquare or greenwich villiage genreal area? Anything cool to see would rock we are leaving at 5 in the mornin so asap would rock THANKS!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

There's Multimedia 1.0 in St. Mark's Place (really pricey, but worth a trip just to look at eye-candy)

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Achika
    There's Multimedia 1.0 in St. Mark's Place (really pricey, but worth a trip just to look at eye-candy)
    i think they actually dropped a LOAD of prices (the guy who owns the place also runs videogamedeals.com), so bring yer wallets, and tell them you heard of the shop from the boards here (i get 10%, ....yeah, riiiiiiight...)

don't show up 'til around noon, or you'll be hanging around looking at girls and guys in funny haircuts coming at you with switchblades...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Nice, I'll be in town next week

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Dang it, I'll be in NYC tommorrow!
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have heard so much about this place - I just moved into the city - so I must check it out. Every turn I take costs more cash, but if gaming is involved...
    Doesnt help that there is a Best Buy just minutes from my place...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dig Multimedia 1.0 as well. They truly were awesome for imports during the Saturn days. M1.0 seems to deal more in oldschool domestic stuff then imports now. THey also have all of the new stuff too. My biggest complaints about that shop is the fact that they are overpriced for certain items, esp. hard to find hardware that isn't always in the best condition. I did have a nice score (nice not great)from them a couple months ago, I found a new Jaguar for $50. I usually see used Jaguars going for that price and up on ebay. My other problem with them is the fact (fact in my eyes that is) that some of their sales associates, esp. the owner who used to do Foul Magazine, have an attitude like they know everything about videogames which is false. I like to play the "stupid gamer guy" and ask them all sorts of questions that i know the answers to to see if they get them right. They usually fail my tests. I have too much time on my hands i guess (even though I really don't). Games and James in Times Square used to be good as well until James died. They have a few interesting titles every once in a while. But they seem to be more into selling dvds then games. ALso check out Chinatown. There usually have cool bootlegs there. Some good arcades are around there too. Hope this helps anybody in nyc.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I finally went to MM1.0 today! I didnt even plan on it, but I was in the area and said to myself "Oh, I gotta find that place!"

Very cool place indeed. I spent a few minutes just checking out the store window alone. One of the guys inside didn't know the different between the Gyromite parts for R.O.B. compared to the Stackup parts. I only asked b/c the R.O.B. in the case was marked as 'Complete', but I only saw gyromite parts, although the shrink wrap around R.O.B. included stackup. I wasnt trying to quiz the dude, just stating that he had no idea.

I need to go back and check the place out some more, I was with a non-gamer buddy and I didnt want to bore him too much. The dreamcast case was calling my name, I dont know how I escaped without making a purchase.

I went to Games & James a few months ago and that place is terrible! They have hardly any games, the imports are obviously opened, played and once the employee got bored, tried to sell it for more than it should get as new. If a place is going to position itself as a gaming specialty shop, they should really have more than 2 import gamecube games.

Any other gaming jems in the city?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default wow

that place was amazing thanks so much i just wish i had more money!!! w00t w00t

i got dragon ball 3 for the famicom $25.00

stack up $7.99 (ripped label (i wanted it for the famicom-nes converter)

and 5 game gear cases for 2.99

i had blown all my money on food and other stuff : P

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM
    I like to play the "stupid gamer guy" and ask them all sorts of questions that i know the answers to to see if they get them right. They usually fail my tests.
    and that's the main reason i quit a couple of years ago. when you're trying to be part of a business that's supposed to be "fun", it's not only annoying to be the "go to" guy for all the stupid questions, it's even more of a pain to deal with people who "play the stupid gamer guy" when they should know better. i used to waste time calling people out on this, but it was giving me an ulcer . anyway, jesse's history knowledge is actually pretty decent (but not spectacular), but he often screws with people because he HATES answering questions like that (i think it's a limit of two questions and then you have to buy something... )

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

didn't know the question limit was 2...maybe it was a good thing they always had SNES dust covers...god bless those dust protecting things and alievators of awkward moments. although it is pricey I've found some good stuff there like a very good copy of the earthbound player's guide with all the scratch and sniff still intact. but yeah still a great place to check out. sadly chinatown isn't the bootleg haven that everyone thinks it to be, nowadays the stores on elizabeth st are all complete legit, even east broadway mall, they only sell gba multi-carts. There's only game express near manhattan mal, and a couple of stores littered around fulton mall in brooklyn

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ah... GBA multicarts - now I remember the days of regular GB multicarts. Now those were the days.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by youruglyclone
    sadly chinatown isn't the bootleg haven that everyone thinks it to be, nowadays the stores on elizabeth st are all complete legit, even east broadway mall, they only sell gba multi-carts. There's only game express near manhattan mal, and a couple of stores littered around fulton mall in brooklyn
    well, i know one of the smaller import distributors (i forget the name, but they were near f.i.t.) went under about a year or so ago, so mm1 lost a good source for some cool cheap import stuff they had. as for chinatown, they've been suffering business wise for a bit for a couple of years, and there was a small shop behind j&r music world which i think went under as well. even game express lowered SOME of its prices (which is a shock, )...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey!!

I was just in Multimedia yesterday and picked up some dreamcast games. I like the store a lot. They changed their selling practices though... as of just last week? I was in last week and then yesterday it was totally different. they dont carry new stuff anymore. which is okay cuz it was always overpriced anyway. and they are only selling carts online?? that is what the guy told me, but i could be wrong. anyway, i work right near chinatown, what do you guys mean when you say they sell bootlegs?? are you talking video games? i only see those little chinese women with the bootleg cds and dvds that run from the cops all the time. never seen any games..

rob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

geelw wrote:

and that's the main reason i quit a couple of years ago. when you're trying to be part of a business that's supposed to be "fun", it's not only annoying to be the "go to" guy for all the stupid questions, it's even more of a pain to deal with people who "play the stupid gamer guy" when they should know better. i used to waste time calling people out on this, but it was giving me an ulcer . anyway, jesse's history knowledge is actually pretty decent (but not spectacular), but he often screws with people because he HATES answering questions like that (i think it's a limit of two questions and then you have to buy something... )
    What questions does Jesse HATE answering? Like what? I only ask one question before i buy something. Maybe you should start working there again because M1.0 has gone down hill a bit in the past 5 years. They need more imports and more people that know what they are talking about. I bet you do.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM