Thread: Portable Video Games - An inherent flaw in the system?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Portable Video Games - An inherent flaw in the system?

Ok, first understand that I've never been much of a portable video game guy. I had an Atari Lynx for about 3 weeks before returning it and getting my cache back.

I didn't own another portable game system till the debut of the original Game Boy Advance. Bought it the same week they came out. I thought that I would all of a sudden get into portable gaming, but I only played the Tony Hawk GBA game that I got and that was it. After a couple of months I never really used it again.

Then I went retro and I got a Game Gear. Never had one originally, but was able to pick one up on the cheap and a couple of games. Haven't really played that much.

Recently I got a GBA SP, and even more recently I got a Flash 2 Advance card, and I've been playing tons of NES roms on my GBA SP with Pocket NES. I've also sampled some general GBA roms that I've never played before.

Anyways, I started thinking that one of the reasons that I could never truly get into portable games is because I feel like there is something missing.....

When it comes down to it, the fact that you are playing games on a tiny screen, just gives me this feeling that I'm missing too much of what is going on in the game. A lot of these screens are just hard to look at. You have to have them in the right lighting, and angled the right way. You can play the games no problem, but it's really hard to see any details, and sometimes it's hard to see the whole field of view of the game.

I've always been used to playing games on TV screens, that going from a 27 inch or larger TV screen to a 2 inch lcd screen has been very difficult for me.

I know that I'm just one guy, but I feel like portable gaming is a hard thing to truly enjoy with the size of screens that portables feature. I think it's inherently impossible for such a small screen to fully display the heart of each game. Sure the games are playable, and you can still have fun, but something is lost in the experience. Especially after playing games that were ported from home systems to portables. On those games, you know where every sprite is located, and on a TV, you see all the details and all the artwork that was crafted by the talented developers. Playing that same game on a 2 inch lcd, is just a situation were, although very enjoyble, is just missing something.

And the something has everything to do with the screen size, and a humans ability to really be able to take in every detail from such a small viewing window. I frankly think that it's pretty much impossible to get the complete experience on such a sized screen in comparison to a TV or computer monitor.

The question is.....At what size does this change? For example, does a portable like the Tapwave Zodiac have a sufficiently large enough screen that these issues are no longer a issue? I'm not sure. I don't have a Zodiac, and I've never seen one in person. I'm sure that with a larger screen, like what the Tapwaves have, it's less a distraction.

But to completely destroy the disparity, I think you have to go to almost like a portable DVD player size LCD. Like the ones they make for the GameCube, to make it like a portable. Those are like 5, 6 inch LCD's right?

I have played games on those size screens, and I when playing on those, I don't think you are missing too much of the experience at all. I would need more time with one of those types of screens. A friend of mine has one, and I only got to play with it for a hour or so. But certainly it is possible that once you get to about 5 inches, the problems inherent in a 2 inch lcd are no longer so huge.

Now again, this is just my own personal take, and I know that millions upon millions of people out there have absolutely no problem with their portable game systems. They love them to death, and wouldn't have the slightest idea about what I'm talking about.

But for me personally, I just think that it's one of the major reasons why I've never really be too fond of portable game systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't feel I'm missing on anything because to me, portable gaming is supposed to be portable. i.e. you play it while sitting in the car, while sitting on the crapper, while waiting at the Dentist office. It's just mini-gaming for a quick fix when you're on the go. But when I'm at home.. it's the last thing I think about playing.

I think those who feel portable gaming is "limited", are those who buy them and expect to use them as a full blown gaming system to play in their free time.. which to me is the equivalent of sitting in your living room and watching movies on your portable tv when your HD tv is right in front of your face.

Which is why the PSP, although it looks great, I'm not sure exactly how I would approach it.. I mean, how much desire do I have to play a full blown 3D Final fantasy while sitting for 10 minutes on the crapper?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

ditto.

I cannot get into a portable rpg when i end up trying to play this mostlikely on the fly and only for 5-10 mins at a time. Yeah their are road trips but thats only on occasion.

I need more instant pick up and play games......more reason tot like the arcade ports on these.
    My life and perception has changed, but my principals are the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's just you man

I like spending an hour on my back on the couch playing some Mario vs. Donkey Kong like I did last night. The last game I spent that long of stretch playing was Wario Ware, fun games.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146
    I think those who feel portable gaming is "limited", are those who buy them and expect to use them as a full blown gaming system to play in their free time.. which to me is the equivalent of sitting in your living room and watching movies on your portable tv when your HD tv is right in front of your face.

I think that part of the problem is that I play mostly console ports. When using my GBA SP, I'm basically playing NES games and SNES games mostly. I'm used to seeing these games on TV's. Not little 2 inch lcds.

So I think that is more of the reason why I feel there is that missing feeling.

Also, I do believe that if we eventually get a portable that is the size of those little portable DVD players, with the 5 inch lcd's, that they could actually become as good as a home system.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

If I could take a 27" TV with a console connected to it on the plane with me, or keep one in my car for those moments when I'm waiting for someone or something to happen, or to jury duty, or to the bathroom, or in the mall when I'm waiting for my wife to pick out a blouse already, or on those family trips where I've blended into the background... I would.

Until then, it's portable gaming in those situations.

When I'm home, in front of my TV, I play TV systems.

I'm sure I'm just stating the obvious but I"m really missing your point this time, Anthony1. If you can't enjoy portable gaming, what do you do instead... read a book? YIKES.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress

I'm sure I'm just stating the obvious but I"m really missing your point this time, Anthony1. If you can't enjoy portable gaming, what do you do instead... read a book? YIKES.

I still can enjoy portable gaming, and lately I've been really enjoying it, being able to play 250 different NES roms on the go, but still, I do feel that something is missing.

I'm just conveying the point that at some point in the future, portable screens for portable gaming systems will probably be in the 6 inch range. They will probably look like those portable DVD players that you see at a Circuit City. But instead of being used for DVD movies, they will be used for games primarily. I think at that point, when I have one of those, I won't feel like I'm missing "some" of the total experience.

But I still do enjoy my GBA SP right now. I'm just saying that it's hard to get the absolute full enjoyment, from such a small screen.

at least for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Guess Digitpress stole my point.

Yeah, portables have smaller screens and look worse because that's the best you can buy at an affordable price? That's true!

Someday consoles won't be as physical as they are now, and I'm betting you'll be able to play anything off equipment on your body 24/7, but until then...

COME SEE THE BAD SCREEN INHERENT IN THE SYSTEM!

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I very often play GBA games at home -- on my Game Boy Player.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Anthony... maybe you should try a GBA Player. :P

Anyway I'm the freak that plays hand held games like I would any normal console game. I don't have to be in the car, out of town, or in the bathroom, sometimes it's comfy to curl up in bed with my Gamegear or GBA and play some tetris, or (gasp) an RPG (I can't even remember the number of times I've played through and have beaten Defenders of Oasis). And I find once I get into a game, I don't even notice the screen size (or lack there of).

Ports are another matter though. I'f I'm a home and am jonsing for some Breath of Fire I don't whip out a GBA cartridge. Instead I'll hook up the SNES and play the game how it was intended to be played. If I'm out of the house and I want to play the game then yeah, the port's great, because it's my only option. It's as you said yourself in the xbox emulation thread, it's all about "LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION."

Or you could get a laptop, which unlike an XboX could be taken on the road, and unlike a GBA have a great looking screen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gamecube - $79
    5 inch LCD Monitor for Gamecube w/ rechargable battery - $125
    Gameboy Player - $50

Most clunky portable gaming system ever - Priceless!

/attempted humor

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the point of the portable systems is that they are easier to carry around. If you start using larger screens you miss the point of it being easy to carry around. I can carry my GbaSp in my pocket and not even think about it.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default portables

I've never embraced portables and I can't tell you why. I've had a GBA, a Nomad, and a Game Gear, never played any of them at significant length. Maybe it's just that I don't spend time waiting for busses, sitting in a doctor's office, or flying around on airplanes. Maybe there's just not enough boredom in my life.

In my basement I have an original Game Boy and a Game Gear as part of my permanent collection, as well as a healthy collection of dedicated handhelds. Very rarely I will take my Mattel Football 2 or Coleco Galaxian out for a spin. Otherwise, the stuff just sits there while I play console games.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love my portables. I have no problem playing them at home, or on the road.

I don't think the screen size is really the issue, but rather the screen resolution is. From where I'm sitting my TV appears to be just about three inches tall. I remeber a pair of 3D goggles I bought years ago that advertised "It's like having an 88 inch screen!" Inside it went on to say "from 11 feet away"

Anyway, screen resolutions are constantly improving. The PSP screen is 480x272, while the SP is 240x160. If the PSP isn't good enough for you, eventuallly they will get good enough that you may become interested.