Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sony and EB Games can GO TO HELL!!!

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

My Network Adaport has worked just fine with my Launch PS2 as well.

Questions to asess the problem.
    What model is ur PS2?
    How are you trying to connect into your DSL? Directly into modem or through a router, or a switch/hub to router?

I know that the first router that I had, prevented me from hearing talking in game. I could talk out, and my teammates coulds hear me, BUT when they talked i couldnt hear them. It was the built in firewall that was creating the issues. When I moved back home, i plugged directly into the modem and had to reconfigure settings for it to work, and when i moved out again, i had to change the settings AGAIN so it would go online in the same type setup as before. (connected thru switch, to router) When i added my HDD for FF XI, it started the intial configuration, but ive still been yet to verify Step 3 for PlayOnline. I think its going to make me reconfigure once again, cause it can no longer detect online at all. Its kinda finkey, but that software disc is a help of helps, redoing the settings might be whats needed.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heh, yet again someone is abused by EB's whorish "policies." My friend got screwed by them over their little sticker on the cd case policy. We used to come in there all the time and spend tons of money on used psx and current gen stuff then they basically give my friend the finger when he tries to be reasonable with them over a return. What's even more insulting is when they off to buy back something for like a fucken dollar? Oh ok! Thanks ASSHAT.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I think it would be ridiculous if your NA didn't work on your model of PS2, but this sounds more like incompetent tech support than anything. I've never heard of this problem. I have an early PS2 that works fine with the NA, other people here have the launch system and the NA works fine.

Did you try looking up the problem you had on the internet? I'm pretty sure you get the 881 when you try to plug the PS2 in a port that is "linked" to a specific system (the way that some colleges force you to put special software on your PC that allows only that PC to be used in a certain ethernet port). In that case, it's your ISP's fault, and you could fix the problem by buying a router.

I guess it's possible, but if Sony really made systems that don't work with the NA period, and I hadn't heard about it yet, I'd be astounded.

Strawberry (Level 2) GunPanther's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    Manager had nothing to say about this I take it?
    Kaine23,

It's funny you mention that.

It was the manager on duty (not the actual full-fledged manager who REALLY runs the store) that told me I couldn't return it.

GunPanther
    "Sometimes you just have to shoot their limbs to get their attention."

Good traders: Querjek, k8track, youruglyclone

http://users.ign.com/collection/gymleader_panther

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NintendoMan
    Well, I think of it like this. It would be like if you bought this new computer game that just came out and you went home to install it on your computer. When doing this you find out that your computer won't let you install it because your computer is basicly outdated for this type of game.

So your telling me that you would get made at the maker's of your computer because it won't play your game. Then your going to get made at the game store, where you bought that computer game, because your out dated computer won't play it. Sorry, but you are totally at fault here.

I see what your saying about not wanting to pay $20, but it is for a new system, unless they are just modifying your old one. This is what you should do, sell everything made from sony, and buy everything Nintendo! Problem solved!

PS. Good luck with whatever happens.

Thanks for the well wishing. I hope everything comes out OK as well.

As for your argument, this is a console compatibility issue, not a PC compatibility issue since PCs are infamous for being obsolete within just a few short months.

Consoles are supposed to have a shelf life of anywhere from 3-5 years, sometimes more (in the case of the GameBoy).

My argument is that Sony should NOT have to keep making modifications to their consoles which are miniscule.

Take Nintendo, for example. How many times have they upgraded their consoles? They've never upgraded any console more than 3 times (save for the GameBoy, if you consider them upgrades). Everytime they upgraded the console, it was always a drastic change from the original. The NES became a top loader, the SNES got smaller because of the lack of the 'useless' "eject" button, the GameBoy got smaller to fit into a 'pocket', then later went into the world of 'color' and most recently began to 'advance'.

Nintendo never really made any internal changes to any of their systems (and if they did, the public never really knew about it because the products still worked without any major problems).

GunPanther

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like the rebels just earned another warrior in their battle against unspeakable evil!

Seriously, though, I've had problems with Sony's customer service in the past... I called to find out why my Playstation wouldn't work with my television set, and they told me that I could either send it in to have it chipped or just buy a pricey Sony monitor. Neither option was particularly appealing to me, so I just lived with the problem until I returned home and got a NON-Sony television set that could handle my 'station.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kevincure
    Yeah, I think it would be ridiculous if your NA didn't work on your model of PS2, but this sounds more like incompetent tech support than anything. I've never heard of this problem. I have an early PS2 that works fine with the NA, other people here have the launch system and the NA works fine.

Did you try looking up the problem you had on the internet? I'm pretty sure you get the 881 when you try to plug the PS2 in a port that is "linked" to a specific system (the way that some colleges force you to put special software on your PC that allows only that PC to be used in a certain ethernet port). In that case, it's your ISP's fault, and you could fix the problem by buying a router.

I guess it's possible, but if Sony really made systems that don't work with the NA period, and I hadn't heard about it yet, I'd be astounded.

I actually went to the SCEA website and looked at all their FAQs before deciding to call their hotline. I checked all of my proper ISP DSl info and followed everything to the letter, still no go except the "-881" error.

When I called the SCEA tech support center, they walked me through everything, from adjusting the settings, to physically connecting/disconnecting the DSL cables and the NA itself.

After about 20 minutes of tech support through the phone, they finally concluded that my PS2 was the 'older model' which was not compatible with the NA.

I'm probably the 'small percentage' of PS2 owners who have problems with their PS2 console's NA compatibility. (Now you can be astounded :P )

GunPanther

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ManekiNeko
    Looks like the rebels just earned another warrior in their battle against unspeakable evil!

Seriously, though, I've had problems with Sony's customer service in the past... I called to find out why my Playstation wouldn't work with my television set, and they told me that I could either send it in to have it chipped or just buy a pricey Sony monitor. Neither option was particularly appealing to me, so I just lived with the problem until I returned home and got a NON-Sony television set that could handle my 'station.

JR

Alright! Onward! To the revolution!!!!

WTF? Your PS1 (or PS2?) wouldn't work with a SONY BRAND tv? Is that Sony's way of telling the consumer to go suck an egg?

GunPanther

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GunPanther
    WTF? Your PS1 (or PS2?) wouldn't work with a SONY BRAND tv? Is that Sony's way of telling the consumer to go suck an egg?
    Actually, I think he was saying he called Sony and they told him he'd need to BUY a Sony TV to ensure compatibility.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GunPanther
    Alright! Onward! To the revolution!!!!

Well, that television set was old, and it had problems with other game systems in addition to my Playstation. Somewhat ironically, my Saturn was immune to the problem and worked just fine on that TV.

Anyway, yeah, the customer rep's suggestion was to either send the Playstation into Sony for rechipping or buy a Sony brand monitor. My solution was to just buy another television, one not manufactured by Sony. It's worked perfectly well with every game system I've thrown at it so far.

JR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just curious. What kind of problems did it have?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't remember what it was exactly... I think the screen kept flipping, or the picture was fuzzy, or something like that. My Playstation 1, Genesis, and Super NES all had the same problem with that TV set. My Saturn and my older systems didn't.

JR

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    Is it only certain PS2's that they are having a problem with? The Network Adapter works just fine on my launch PS2.
    Once i overcame a software problem, my launch PS2 and network adapter get along just fine too.

~bill
    My XBL Gamer Tag is : NipRing

MVS 29"CANDY CAB SERIAL: 98515
    Upgrades include 6 Slot MoBo, Oversized Speakers,
    MV-IC Memcard reader w/ Headphone Jacks, UniBios 2.0

I Snatch Kisses...And Vice-Versa

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've owned many Sony products that have survived the years (even a 25 yr old TV) and i even have a orginal model PSX that still works fine.

I wonder why things went down the shitter for the PS2's..

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs
    Sony wanted money.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs
    I've owned many Sony products that have survived the years (even a 25 yr old TV) and i even have a orginal model PSX that still works fine.

Probably because Sony doesn't give a shit about consumers and wants us to spend as much money as possible on crap that's not supposed to break in the first place.

GunPanther

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

-UPDATE-

I just came back from another local EB Games store. Here's what happened:

The 2nd time around, I changed the story to the Network Adaptor being defective. The clerk was nicer this time around and got me a new NA from the storeroom.

At first, I was kind of happy because I thought he was going to simply hand me the new, sealed Network Adaptor.

Instead, the clerk said that he had to open it because "whenever an opened item is returned for the same item, the new/sealed item must leave the store opened".

That pissed me off. Again, I left the store in an angry mood. The clerk even managed to almost screw up the whole thing by placing the 'defective' NA in a bag.

I stormed out of the store and went home empty handed, with a modified receipt that now says "defective exchange" with the NA description circled.

EB Games has fucked me over.... again.

I am going to make it a point to SCAM EB Games as MUCH AS POSSIBLE from now on.

What they're doing to us consumers is not right.

GunPanther

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, EB does think of everything there. As do many other retail stores. WHENEVER you return something to the store, the receipt will ALWAYS have the reason. Can't just blame EB, they're just trying to cover their asses.

But I have nothing against you scamming them. EB sucks, their prices are SHIT (On used stuff compared to GS) and well, the three I've been to near me ALL put their PSX games on the shelf in such a way you CAN NOT tell what games they have! Has anyone seen this? At GS the PSX games are all book ended. You can tell at a glance usually what game you are looking at. But at EB they're all rotated facing out stacked behind each other it takes 5 times as long to look through them all. How HARD is it to BOOKEND THE GOD DAMN GAMES? What's WRONG with BOOK ENDING THEM? You know, so I can SEE WHAT YOU HAVE? So I can actually PURCHASE THEM?

No matter, 99% of their used PSX games are more expensive than the GS copies. Seriously. So I don't even go to EB for PSX anymore. I try to avoid them whenever possible. They are just not worth it.

My question is why did you choose them in the first place? Unless you just don't have a GameStop nearby... of course, even if you had gone to GS, this thread would be about GAMESTOP Screwing you over instead, so whatever.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Here the ebgames is much better than the gamestop. nicer employees, too. Both the gamestop here and the one in the next town over are shitty. One employee started lying to me to try to get me to buy one of those goddam discount cards. obviously this isnt true everywhere else, but here ebgames is FAR superior. They often have bogo sales on their 8 and 16 bit stuff, and they give more trade in credit than the other stores. and they have a better selection of games. Here the GS is kind of a joke. both of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why don't you just take the opened network adaptor to Wal-mart, tell them that you were given it as a gift and it doesn't work, and that you want to exchange it for something else? That's what I always do. Wal-mart takes EVERYTHING back, no questions asked, no reciept needed.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."