Thread: Ordered a Sega Saturn, WOO HOO!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Ordered a Sega Saturn, WOO HOO!!!!!

Mentioned in another thread I was considering getting a Sega Saturn, well I think I scored a pretty good deal. From a guy with many awesome references I scored a complete working round button (IE: can use modchip) system with all hookups and a performance brand controller for $42 U.S. shipped to me here in Canada which I think is pretty good and I won't even have to deal with Ebay. My first "upgrades" will be a modchip so I can order cheap backups (I don't want to "collect" rarites like Radiant Silvergun, I just want to PLAY THEM!) and an Action Replay 4in1 cart which provides extra RAM as well as allows imports to run. I am pretty excited about finally playing "Deep Fear" as well as some Saturn classics and imports, as well I won't have to deal with the poor Saturn emulators which I find overly complicated and buggy. Thanks to all your suggestions for games in my other thread Anyway, I will post my impressions once I get the whole thing going..............
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Ordered a Sega Saturn, WOO HOO!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolGamer
    From a guy with many awesome references I scored a complete working round button (IE: can use modchip)
    The round button model is the Model 2, and from what I've heard, it's the Model 1 Saturn that runs modchips.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They both do just different chips.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I've always heard the Round Button is the one that is modchipped easier, at least according to seller, also according to "omnedon" in my other thread:

http://www.digitpress.com/index2.htm

From Modchip supllier Jandaman:

The rare and hard to find Sega Saturn Mod Board allows playing of all Sega Saturn CD-R Backup games. Works PERFECT with ALL Sega Saturn games. Compatible with all 21 PIN Sega Saturn Consoles.
    How can I tell if my saturn has a 21 pin cable? If the power/reset buttons are round, it's almost guaranteed to be 21 pin. If the buttons are oval, it's most likely to be 20 pin. Open the console and count the number of pins on the cdrom cable.

Being new to Saturn I was pretty careful about this. If anyone knows different let me know.
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congrats man!

Qbert
    Kirby's my bitch!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congrats man, you will enjoy it. You have a good chance that the Saturn you bought can be modded but there are some round button Saturns that have model one boards in them floating around. As for Deep Fear, it is one great game, but I am sure I have metioned that somewhere already.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always thought the oval buttons were the 2nd version (I have a modded oval system)...but it seems that the round ones (have 3 of those) so who knows maybe I'll cave and give a shot at modding 1 of them

but yeah the saturn is well worth the money, only pain is finding av cables for it

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Congratulations on your purchase, I'm sure you'll get alot of enjoyment from it. If you give it some thought, I'd bet you would prefer buying the games instead of CDR's. It's a bit more bother and takes a bit longer, but it doesn't require any rationalization. Besides, I'd hate to see you miss out on Saturn boxes. Those things are just cool to look at!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default .

M1 and M2 both can use mod chip but the current situation is the mod chip for M1 has been all dried up and only mod chip available today is for M2. Even with M2 you better have no Sanyo CD-ROM board inside as it's notorious for modding - i.e. there's only one person that I heard successfully mod'd the beast.

By the way putting the mod chip allows to run CD-R back up but not the region lock out. You need import cart to bypass the region lock out if you want to run JPN CD-R on US Saturn w/ mod chip.

cheers

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default .

Quote Originally Posted by youruglyclone
    but yeah the saturn is well worth the money, only pain is finding av cables for it
    think it's pain to get AV cable? Try to get the missing bits for CartDevRev.B system! I spend many months and money to get the fully working CartDevRev.B system complete with the document!

On hind sight maybe I shouldn't bother since I sunk already way too much on this beast and there will be no way I can sell this thing unless someone is willing to part with closed to 1K... that's how much I spend on this thing... Oh well...

cheers

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have a round button one there is no problem at all. If it's oval you are sol because it has a different number of pins in the connector the cd drive ribbon feeds into and the modchip won't work.

Anyways, nice score. The saturn is one incredible system. It's all about sega. Have fun with it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congrats! Enjoy your new Saturn.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a round button Saturn and because I am cheap skippede modding it in favor of the disc swap. It was hard at first but once you know what to listen for it works almost every time.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by classic gamer
    I have a round button Saturn and because I am cheap skippede modding it in favor of the disc swap. It was hard at first but once you know what to listen for it works almost every time.
    I have heard about this, How is it done?

Im still waiting on an a Satellite from Lik-Sang...

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidX01
    Quote Originally Posted by classic gamer
    I have heard about this, How is it done?

Im still waiting on an a Satellite from Lik-Sang...
    Heh, this is kinda risky but I guess it's ok if you're really good at it. It's more work too than buying a 15 DOLLAR chip. But since the saturn basically has no import play or backup protection except for a certain loading point where it's detected the ntsc retail cd, you pop open the tray after it thinks it has a retail cd in there, then put in the backup or whatever and it will load it just fine. Goes something along those lines. No idea on when you have to switch up the cds or what but I'm sure the other guy can point out how to do it.