Thread: That old grey mare, she ain't what she used to be...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default That old grey mare, she ain't what she used to be...

I like classic video games. It's safe to say that I like them more than what's came out in the past three years, but not every classic video game remains a classic. I've noticed that some of these games just don't get better with age. One great example is Imagic's Microsurgeon for the Intellivision. I was blown away by the level of detail in this game as early as ten years ago, but now, the great graphics just can't hide the mercilessly slow and clumsy gameplay. It takes a week to move your microsurgeon from the mouth of its patient to the stomach, and it's annoyingly difficult to select cures for the various ailments you'll encounter. The concept is great, and it may have reached its full potential later on a more powerful system, but it was madness to expect technology from the 1970's to handle a game so complex and graphically demanding.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, I had the occasion to play Microsurgeon just the other day, and had forgotten how much fun it actually is.

I guess I have to confess to not just enjoying the games themselves, but to still being swept up in just how cool it all was that we had machines that could do this now. I know we have computers that far exceed the speed and audiovisual capability of those machines now, but there's a part of me who's still a kid in 1981/82, looking around at some of these things and going "wow." Because those developers didn't have the stuff at their disposal that you and I have on an average desktop PC today, and they were still able to do what they did. And their pushing of the envelope has a lot to do with the computer power we have today.

So maybe I look too much at the context and not enough at the games, but very rarely will I completely pan a classic game.

P.S. I have three grey mares, and they're just fine, thanks for asking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know we have computers that far exceed the speed and audiovisual capability of those machines now, but there's a part of me who's still a kid in 1981/82, looking around at some of these things and going "wow."

I'm the same way, and it's hard to remove that wide eyed kids rose coloured glasses sometimes.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most game's ages don't bother me until it comes to the nintendo 64. This is one of the few consoles which I will truly say that it did not age well at all. The frame rate and wavy graphics on most of the games are pretty bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by -hellvin-
    Most game's ages don't bother me until it comes to the nintendo 64. This is one of the few consoles which I will truly say that it did not age well at all. The frame rate and wavy graphics on most of the games are pretty bad.
    That applies to the PS1, saturn, and their lesser counterparts as well-visually, the games just don't hold up. At all.

Gameplaywise, though, F-Zero X, Star Fox 64, Lode Runner 3d, I can overlook the visual disparities :P
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hrmpf. The low framerate gets to my eyes after a few hours, but I find many N64 games very playable. Super Mario 64 took some getting used to again, but I found it MUCH easier now than it was the first time through.

PlayStation, probably more of the same. The affine texturing is a drawback, but many PlayStation games just wouldn't look right without it (I imagine Tenchu is an example). It's either affine texturing or N64 blur - pick your poison :P

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus
    That applies to the PS1, saturn, and their lesser counterparts as well-visually, the games just don't hold up. At all.

Gameplaywise, though, F-Zero X, Star Fox 64, Lode Runner 3d, I can overlook the visual disparities :P
    PSX,saturn and n64 games are just basically what we are playing now. Just with crappier graphics and sound. Though the saturn also had a lot more 2d goodness then this current generation.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some games I dont enjoy as much as I use to but I still enjoy them a lot!
    Midwest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really agree with you. I haven't touched my N64 in ages.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    PlayStation, probably more of the same. The affine texturing is a drawback, but many PlayStation games just wouldn't look right
    Affline texturing? What's that?

I don't understand this "N64/PSone didn't age well" view. Yes Banjo-Kazooie & Mario 64 looks blocky, but I'd rather play those games than Mario Sunshine. I still enjoy Ocarina of Time far better than the Celda update. FF7 >>> FF10. They look bad, but they PLAY better. "The play is the thing."

Bottom Line:

I see the PS1/N64 is to PS2/Cube ---as--- NES/SMS is to S-NES/Genesis: Same games, but they do look better in 16-bit. Even so, there are some primitive PS1/N64/NES/SMS classics I can't let go of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Feh, age ain't nuthin' but a number, and I hate math. Heh... seriously, the age of a system is irrelevant to my tastes. If anything, I think some of the graphics on the 8 and 16-bit systems are better than certain graphics on consoles today. It's just my personal preference, however. Sure, the 2600's graphics have been rendered obsolete, but gameplay is usually the only thing that I care about. So no, I do not bore of old systems. If anything, they're my favorites.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by musical
    Bottom Line:

I see the PS1/N64 is to PS2/Cube ---as--- NES/SMS is to S-NES/Genesis: Same games, but they do look better in 16-bit. Even so, there are some primitive PS1/N64/NES/SMS classics I can't let go of.
    Interesting.

When it comes to 8 or 16-bit games, I'll take 16-bit anyday. The 8-bit era just doesn't do much for me.

However, I much prefer the 32/64-bit (and DC) era to the current generation.

I suppose it's just representative of the era that I began gaming (16-bit with SNES/Mega Drive) which then went into overdrive with the introduction of the Saturn/PSX/N64. Dreamcast still carries the interest, however, I find that I haven't gotten into this generation (GC/XB/PS2) as much as I did the previous one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that the N64 holds up alright. As well as the psx and a bit worse then the saturn. There are some great games to play on it that still look great by todays standards. Paper mario anyone?
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by musical
    Bottom Line:
    Interesting.
    When it comes to 8 or 16-bit games, I'll take 16-bit anyday. The 8-bit era just doesn't do much for me. However, I much prefer the 32/64-bit (and DC) era to the current generation.
    Don't you think Smash Bros Melee > Smash Bros 64?
    Gran Turismo PS2 > Gran Turismo PS1?
    Fzero GX > Fzero 64?
    Front Mission PS2 > Front Mission PS1?

I do. Same basic games, but with prettier graphics. Like when the NES Mario games were converted to Super Nintendo graphics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I have to say for me 3D doesn't hold up all that well. Framerates, graphics, control just seem to improve with each major title and going back and playing these older 3D games is like going back to the stone age sometimes. Heck just take most early racing games for a spin, the difference improved graphics and framerates can make on a game of that genre are practically night and day.

As much as I loved the N64 I find it very difficult to play it these days thanks to my Xbox and Gamecube.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I just bought my first N64. Tetrisphere is amazing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sotenga
    Feh, age ain't nuthin' but a number, and I hate math. Heh... seriously, the age of a system is irrelevant to my tastes. If anything, I think some of the graphics on the 8 and 16-bit systems are better than certain graphics on consoles today. It's just my personal preference, however. Sure, the 2600's graphics have been rendered obsolete, but gameplay is usually the only thing that I care about. So no, I do not bore of old systems. If anything, they're my favorites.
    Couldn't have said it better myself If it's fun, I'm there. Graphics are nothing but an indication to me of the era when the particular game appeared.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ditto except racing games. I can't stand playing Gran Turismo or Fzero 64 or Daytona USA.

The 32-bit graphics are too primitive.