Thread: Backyard Baseball

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Backyard Baseball

Yeah, i'm a bit bored today, and I felt like writing, so here's a little thing I made on Backyard Baseball.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few years ago, I was in my local library. When I was about to leave, I noticed the PC software racks. One game that particularly caught my eye was this Backyard Baseball game. I had already played Microsoft Baseball, which is a great series, but always seemed to take up just a bit too much space for my older computer.

So I bring up the game, not realizing (yet) the recommended age group, which I was about 2-4 years older than. After getting weird looks from the librarians, I took the game and went home. Apparntly seeing a 14 year old with a Jnco shirt on renting something that was primaritly a childs game was a bit odd.

Anyway, I put the game in, and notice that it is pretty cartoony, but I didn't really care. I was bored, and I had a little brother that could play it anyway. I first noticed that the game was pretty small in space compared to the other programs in my computer. When I finally started playing it, I noticed this nice little intro movie showing some of the kids playing baseball. I had a feeling this wasn't some cheaply, quickly thrown out on to the market game. I finally started playing, and I was then suprised at how well the game acutally played.

I had expected some crappy kids game, but the game was enjoyable. Soon, me and my brother started having favorite characters, and started having little senarios about the games( If Pablo doesn't hit a homerun, he doesn't get fed). Soon, me and my brother grew out of it, even though we still referr to Pablo Snachez from time to time. We had rented the other 'Backyard' series games, but we always went back to the Baseball game.

I had my favorite characters too. My line-up was almost always:
    1.Reese Worthington-3B
    2.Stephanie Morgan-SS
    3.Achmed Kahn-RF
    4.PABLO "GOD" SANCHEZ-C
    5.Sally Dobbs-P
    6.Tony "THE MUTHA FUGGIN GODFATHA" Delvecchio-LF
    7.Sidney Webber-1B
    8.Ashley Webber-2B
    9. Pete Wheeler-CF

I guess the reason I thought of this was a recent visit to Best Buy. I had noticed a game called "Backyard Hockey". But when I grabbed it, I noticed that Humongus Entertainment(the orignal developers and copyright owners of the series) had apparantly sold the rights to some other company which I can't think of. This new company had changed the characters so badly I could only really recognize a few of them. I was mightly pissed, and left the store on a negative note.

But still, I miss those older days of simple baseball games where a line drive on a tool-shed ment a homerun.

Guess that's it.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Get Backyard Football on the Cube. Best football game this gen! Still want to play the others.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I second Backyard Football on the Cube! I too (as a 29 year old gamer) love the simplicity of these games!! Although I don't like Backyard Hockey very much...too fast actually. I haven't played BY Basketball yet. And you are correct...Pablo Sanchez is a God in these games.