Thread: Rayforce / Layer Section / Galactic Attack

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Rayforce / Layer Section / Galactic Attack

Sadly, I suck / suck / suck at this game (even when I play with that look of determination like the pilot in the attract mode), but I want to get higher scores. It seems like (besides killing everything and not dying) maxing out your lock-ons before cutting loose gets you the big points. Is each additional lock-on target destroyed in a single salvo worth exactly double the previous target's value, or does it ramp up more than that at some point? I can never seem to catch what the fifth, sixth, etc. are worth.

Also, does a locked-on target "unlock" when your fighter passes it, or when it falls off the bottom of the screen, or sometime else?
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Default Re: Rayforce / Layer Section / Galactic Attack

Quote Originally Posted by bargora
    Is each additional lock-on target destroyed in a single salvo worth exactly double the previous target's value, or does it ramp up more than that at some point? I can never seem to catch what the fifth, sixth, etc. are worth.
    I'm pretty sure that's the case. Sounds right anyway.

Also, does a locked-on target "unlock" when your fighter passes it, or when it falls off the bottom of the screen, or sometime else?
    Yep, try to get them all while they're in sight, otherwise you lose them. You can check the little meter at the bottom of the screen to see how many lock-ons you have left and if it goes back up, you know you lost them.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default galactic attack

Don't feel bad, I never had much luck w/ that game either. In fact, the first thing that comes to mind when I think of that game is the "game over" music (which is actually very pretty). I don't really play for points though, I just play to see how far I can get (I think the Saturn version limits your credits). I also think Raystorm greatly improved on this game.

the kid

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Speaking of music, is it just me or does this series have some good music? Taito has a really quality music team!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default raymusic

Ahh, it's you. It has its moments. The music from Raystorm reminds me of music from "The Price is Right". The boss music is cool though.

Is Taito the developer on these? I know Working Designs brought them over, but I didn't think Taito was involved. I thought Darius was their flagship shooter.

the kid

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@ Kid Ice: It's definitely a Taito joint. Sez so in the attract mode. And while Darius may be Taito's flagship horizontal shooter (I'm assuming you're correct here, as I myself haven't checked), I'd think that Rayxxx would have to be Taito's flagship vert shooter. Unless Front Line has that honor. (FRONT LINE RULEZ)

Re: the music
    I haven't got around to seriously playing Raystorm or Raycrisis, but I've been able to listen to the Layer Section tunes as I picked up a copy of Layer Section for PC for $0.01 (plus $3.00 shipping :cry: ) and found that the tunes are Redbook. Like Kid Ice said, it's got moments. There's a haunting melody in the second level ("track 4" on the PC CD) that kept rattling around in my head for a while. But on the whole I think it's sort of hit or miss.

But then, I may have no taste at all, as I actually sort of liked about half of the music tracks from Codename: Tenka (PSX)
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Cherry (Level 1)
    Detroit: Home of Chrome wheels, Dope deals and Vacant fields...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Layer Section

Yeah the music to this game is intense!

I love this game...I have the import Saturn version.