Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overrated games

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Overrated games

In your opinion which are the most overrated games of all time?

I would say FF7-I like it but there is to many fanboys and Its talked about way to much
    Halo-God this game is all anyone with a Xbox practically talks about that I've talked to.
    Gta(series) Fun but gets boring and doesnt last I havn't played it in months.
    Windwaker-Holy christ its one of the worst zelda games along with the infamous Cd-i ones
    Metal gear solid -I never got into it. Its quite popular too.

Which do you think are credited to much?

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Halo, Metal Gear Solid, Devil May Cry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

I hate these overrated game topics. We all dick-size to see who hates the most popular game and who loves the most obscure game. Fuck that shit. Halo/GTA/Metal Gear Solid/Anything by E.A. sold a bijillion copies because they kick ass. You don't like it. WE GET IT. It's not overrated if the vast majority of gamers play it and like it. (And no, this little corner of the inter-web is not the majority).

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

It's COOL to hate petewhitley.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not surprised that Metal Gear Solid isn't everybody's cup of napalm. The dominant aspects involved are patience and caution. While I personally find this style very challenging and rewarding, I can see how some people wouldn't, especially those who play games specifically as a break from being careful and methodical.

As for overrated games, it really pissed me off when I was young and everybody was having a conniption over how great Donkey Kong Country was. Now that I think about it, I have no idea why that made me so mad.

Poor old FFVII. First it was the greatest game ever, then it was the worst game ever because everybody was so convinced that it was the greatest game ever, then it was the greatest game ever because now everybody's saying it's the worst game ever. That poor game has gone through every stage of popularity and then some.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i liked wind waker...maybe as you said, the worst zelda title, but considering the sheer quality of the series (imo) that isn't really saying much.

i'll agree with gta, once i got over the stealing cars and beating people up phase, i just didn't care for the actual game that much. (tho i really havne't given it a fair chance)

i thought metroid prime was pretty over-rated, and i'm not really looking forward to the sequal that much. i'm surprised i ever even finished the game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial

Perhaps the greatest example of a self-over-rated game in the history of all gaming.

That's like a no-brainer.

Actually, 80% of all games I have ever played are seriously over-rated. Back in the days when me and my little Super WildCard DX used to pirate any and every SNES game under the sun, I would get all my games for nothing and still feel ripped off about 80% of the time over the cost of the floppy that I wasted on copying a game.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default For Me

You know, these days you hear a lot of people talk about Halo or complain about people who talk about Halo, saying how great the game is and how it is the end-all be-all FPS.

You know what? This is what the console FPS fans said for YEARS about Goldeneye 64. Seems everyone who owned a N64 at least played that game, if not own it -- after all, I recall reading that Goldeneye sold nearly 1-to-1 to N64 systems.

But personally, I thought the game was stupid. For example, I remember in one stage there was a big, open pit that opened to the lower floor. But you couldn't drop down through it! That sure irratated me! Not only that, but if I recall right, you couldn't freely look around independently from moving either. Dumb dumb dumb!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe I have low standards or maybe I'm a casual gamer but I can have a good time with almost any game. Even E.T. at least I did when I was young stuck at my grandma's house.

It's funny because I don't normally buy into the popular game trends in fact to this day I have not played GTA but if I did I would probably have fun playing it as I normally do with video games.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Overrated games

Quote Originally Posted by demented-yoshi
    FF7-I like it but there is to many fanboys and Its talked about way to much
    Gta(series) Fun but gets boring and doesnt last I havn't played it in months.
    Windwaker-Holy christ its one of the worst zelda games along with the infamous Cd-i ones
    You must have stole my brain. I agree 100%. Except I do NOT like FF7. The game has serious flaws in story (un-necessarily confusing), battle engine (all magic), and character growth (or lack thereof-you grow materia not characters).

Gamers love FF7 merely because it was their first, not because it's good. There are far better RPGs out there.
    Disclaimer: The message you just read is my opinion. If you do not like my opinion, I apologize in advance. Please explain where my opinion is wrong or fallacious. Thank you.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

You know, the game that I bought and was disappointed in was Splinter Cell. I loved Metal Gear Solid and my friends (who work for Microsoft...I should have known) basically said this game was Metal Gear Solid on steroids. But to tell you the truth, it's not that great. It's level based, and they give you the items you need when you start the level. What's really the difference between all the different types of lock picks? They might as well give you a "generic item you will need".

It's just kind of the same crap over and over again. And since MG did the stealth thing back in the '80's, it makes me feel that Splinter Cell is just sort of a second-rate ripoff. I'm sure everybody's gonna rank on me now for making that statement, but it really is my opinion.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley
    I hate these overrated game topics. We all dick-size to see who hates the most popular game and who loves the most obscure game. Fuck that shit. Halo/GTA/Metal Gear Solid/Anything by E.A. sold a bijillion copies because they kick ass. You don't like it. WE GET IT. It's not overrated if the vast majority of gamers play it and like it. (And no, this little corner of the inter-web is not the majority).
    Zing!

(Heh, at least during the numerous times this topic comes up, I swing at a sacred cow rather than the usual suspects. Search it if you must, I don't feel like going into it again. I do find MGS to be as entertaining as a wet fart tho...:P)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Legend of Zelda for NES is REALLY overrated.

I prefer Extreme Sports with the Berenstain Bears.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Halo (A good FPS, but its not as good as it is hailed to be), Final Fantasy VII / VIII / X / X-2 (I liked IX), Devil May Cry, The Tomb Raider series, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (not a fan of the series, I liked II, but this one didn't even hold a torch to III and it didnt even have the top view!), Sonic Adventure, Virtua Fighter 4 / 4 Evolution, Twisted Metal Black (Wow, it plays like the old ones...), Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (Fun Fighter, but so damn unbalanced).

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

How come every 9 out of 10 posts you make is you bitching about yet something else? Do you have ANYTHING positive to bring to these boards or are you just so full of pent up frustration that you unfairly take it out here?

Seriously, look over your previous posts.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I can understand not wanting to read a thread that sounds to you like people beating a dead horse, but people do have a right to beat a dead horse (metaphorically, that is. Don't go calling PETA on me.) I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you don't like the thread , don't read it, and certainly don't participate in it. That makes you a hippocrit. And those of you who respond to people coming in and shitting on a topic that other people are interested in talking about, don't. That's just what they want, so don't give 'em the satisfaction.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not overrated if the vast majority of gamers play it and like it.
    The "vast majority" also buy Britney N'Sync wit' Christina and watch Top American Survivor Idol. Popularity does not equal "worth buying". The masses are like lemmings...buy whatever crap everyone else has... followers.

I think these types of thread serve as a warning: "Yes Matrix was #1 game last year, but don't buy it! It's crap!"
    Disclaimer: The message you just read is my opinion. If you do not like my opinion, I apologize in advance. Please explain where my opinion is wrong or fallacious. Thank you.

Great Puma (Level 12) captain nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst
    It's COOL to hate petewhitley.

*Remembers a thread named "petewhitley is a dick" in the Battlezone a long time ago...... (of course its all fun and games )

Over rated games....

I really cant think of any at this moment , however I will defend Halo (which is a good game , but not the best) and Final Fantasy 7 was and is a good game IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by musical
    Gamers love FF7 merely because it was their first, not because it's good. There are far better RPGs out there.

I have been playing the Final Fantasy series and Dragon Warrior series since they were brand new and I still like and think FF7 is a good game. Was it the best ever ? No , but it sure was really good for a ton of reasons that outwiegh the few negatives in the game.

"until all are one" - Optimus Prime
    Link to collection:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...der=Collection

R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

I also think FF VII was overrated. Maybe it's just me, I just couldn't get into it. The beginning part of it was pretty cool, but then I just got lost and frusterated. I used to think this was the epitome of the Final Fantasy license, and then I had a thing against all FF games. Then I tried II, and it changed my mind.

I don't know about Halo being overrated though, I haven't gotten to sit and play it for hours on end but from what I've played of it, especially multiplayer, it's simply a fantastic experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not to sound like a schmuck, but almost everything that is highly rated in any of the current magazines is generally overrated. We all are prone to such actions though. For instance, Warioware for the GBA was totally original when it first surfaced, and I still love it, but now it is a bit stale. I would say that I rated it too highly in the beginning, but not by all that much. It is the perfect example of how a great original idea can't be the only good thing about a game, It is like a hook in a pop song at that point. No substance of any kind is not a good route to take either.

What I am really talking about here though is anything from Rockstar or Square for the most part. Actually, anything that is more movie than game or more interested in simulating something than offering a unique experience. FF VII, which I did personally enjoy playing though back when it came out, definitely started a trend that has started to ruin gaming in my opinion. Metal Gear Solid 2 is a good example of a game soiled by this. The first MGS was pretty cool, even though way too much of the game was spent watching static codec screens, but MGS 2 was a joke. 30 minutes of cinemas do not an epic final battle make.

But nor does running around in a virtual city sucker punching people and running them over in stolen vehicles wrapped around a bunch of fetch quests. It gets old.