Thread: Nintendo GC and pirating..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Nintendo GC and pirating..

..Is impossible.. Good work Nintendo, very impressive in this day and age.. But I wonder about the Panasonic DVD cube.. I'd bet it's a weak link.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

It is... I've heard they've gotten copied games to run off the Q (due it also being able to use CDs), but not a normal GC yet...

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Nintendo GC and pirating..

Quote Originally Posted by Raedon
    ..Is impossible.. Good work Nintendo, very impressive in this day and age.. But I wonder about the Panasonic DVD cube.. I'd bet it's a weak link.
    they hacked the unhackable xbox so im sure eventually the cube's day will come

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It won't come for a long time. How many people do you know can get hold of mass numbers of DVDs that small? Then there's the matter of someone developing a chip for it, and convincing people to get it put inside their cube.
    Conform. Consume. Obey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not a DVD it's an Optical Disc, You would need a Optical Disc burner which doesn't exist. That's the man hurtle..

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd bet money that Utopia are working on GC backups right now.
    But I think some other group will beat them to it.
    There was a lot of bad blood with the whole DreamCast thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Raedon
    It's not a DVD it's an Optical Disc, You would need a Optical Disc burner which doesn't exist. That's the man hurtle..
    What do you think a DVD is then?
    and if it don't exist how do they make the games :P

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anything is possible.. the question is if there's a market for it! (Heck, they sell GBA copies all over the place, including eBay!)

The thing is that most "pirates" are adults. And the XBOX / PS2 are more adult systems. Parents, don't need to get their kids a new game every week, so they don't mind buying the 3-5 games a year for the GC.

Just my $0.02..

LK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Easy solution to if an "Optical Disc" as Nintendo's fact sheet puts it, is actually a DVD compliant drive (which i doubt as it costs MONEY to license) is to take a Game Cube game and stick it in you DVD-ROM on your computer.. now tell me if you can read the disc.. if so, then all you need is a little DVD.. if it doesn't.. Then it's a special format that can't be copied or burned without expensive Nintendo licensed equipment.

What do you think a DVD is then?
    and if it don't exist how do they make the games
    Don't be stupid, your not at all clever.. :P Phhhht

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, as far as this "optical disc" stuff goes, my DVD ROM (using Nero's 'medium info' feature) reads Super Mario Sunshine as:

DVD Session:
    Session 1: 1393mb
    Track 1 425 760KB Data mode 1

So it's not some weird ass format. Just a mini DVD. Therefore a PITA to copy. I've seen DVDr's, but not mini DVDr's. I'm sure they exist, but if they are pricey enough, that should kill piracy right there. It will also kill any hope I have of letting my kids ever load their own games, as I only let them load backed up games on the PC's and the PSX, and so on, and so on....
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Raedon is right, the Gamecube media is not a DVD, it's a specialized optical disc (based upon Matsushita’s Optical Disc Technology), although it's format is similar to DVD and it's not known for sure whether the discs are actually double or triple layered with data.

In terms of piracy it means that reproducing the games is almost impossible due to the media type and the encryption used. More precisely in order to reproduce a GC disc (game) they must first bypass the inner encryption ring on the disc which is a pretty damn secure and sophisticated measure in itself and must be bypassed before accessing the game itself. Of course there is always someone who is going to figure out a way past any data level protection measures implemented, but once they have done that they run into the real problem of the media.. they can't use a DVD or Mini-DVD because it won't work, the GC discs are not DVDs, so instead they would require actual writable GC discs and a GC disc burner.. which they could only get from NIntendo (Good luck ).

This isn't to say piracy is going to be impossible on the GC, but there's no way it's going to be anywhere near being a viable or profitable venture for a long time to come (maybe not even until the GC has run it's lifespan and Nintendo have moved onto the next system).

Well done Nintendo.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From my own personal experience, and I'm not sure if that will effect the piracy issue, but it appears that the disc runs in the opposite direction of most of discs.

Makes me think...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well the disc never stops spinning.. it spins at a constant RPM to.. That's not normal DVD, CD behavior

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's because the GC disc drive is a CAV (constant angular velocity) drive, meaning that the disc constantly spins at a set speed, Thus facilitatating non-linear data access and reducing access times notably as the system doesn't have to wait for the disc to speed up.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leonk
    Anything is possible.. the question is if there's a market for it! (Heck, they sell GBA copies all over the place, including eBay!)

The thing is that most "pirates" are adults. And the XBOX / PS2 are more adult systems. Parents, don't need to get their kids a new game every week, so they don't mind buying the 3-5 games a year for the GC.

Just my $0.02..

LK
    That's wrong. The Xbox and PS2 are considered the most mature systems because the majority of teenage kids that buy them, buy them because they don't want to be seen as having a console who's majority of games have 'kiddie' graphics. Adults who buy PS2s tend to buy them because they are currently the most well known videogame brand, and get a lot more shelf space than the GC or Xbox. Exactly like what happened with the SMS and NES. Then there's also the argument that most Americans buy Xboxs because the games on them are much more oriented towards American culture, with FPS's beat 'em ups and driving games making up most of the Xboxs library, whereas the most popular games on the GC are quirky ones like Animal Crossing, Pikmin etc.. which are the most popular types of games in Japan.
    Nintendo games also tend to be a lot harder (and usually better) than most other games, and the majority of adults who grew up with NES's and SNES's know this. Exactly how many kids under the age of 10 are going to be able to beat a game like Mario Sunshie, or even Pikmin? Chances are that they would spend the whole time running around with not that much of an idea where they're going, or what they're supposed to do, because Nintendo games are hard.
    I would think that if GC pirated discs were available there would be a higher percentage of people using them on the GC than on the Xbox or the PS2.
    Conform. Consume. Obey.