Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So you think there are too many M-rated games?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default So you think there are too many M-rated games?

In the new issue of Computer Gaming World they have an interesting article about how many games are rated what. The news may shock some of you. This was originally in an issue of PSM by John Davison.
    These stats are for every rated game released in 2003 as per the article. I assume they got the info from the ESRB since they interviewed them.

E-rated games 57%
    T-rated games 32%
    M-rated games 10%
    EC accounted for 1%

Let's hear some thoughts on this.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Going by the "average age of a gamer is said to be 29 (some survery released at E3 if I remember correctly)" thing, no I don't think there are too many M-rated games. And seeing as 10% isn't that much to begin with, no.
    Currently Playing: Limbo, CoD: MW2
    XBL: Kazaam McFresh

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interesting...

Who rates these games? For instance, I think the movie rating is goverened by the movie industry. This is how a lot of old PG material is sneaking into G rated movies. Are we seeing the same here? Are most shoot-em up's rated with a T? I haven't bought a lot of modern games lately. I am surprised to see so many E rated games. These could be all of those kiddy PS1 titles I've seen lately
    Take care,
    Dennis

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The ESRB rates games and has been for a long time.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

to me....what a game is rated does not affect my decisions at all....i buy games based on if i want them and if i feel that it will be a good game that i would enjoy to play
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not at all. I think if it gets up past 25%ish I think we should start to worry. They want to attract old gamers, but definatly not eleminate younger gamers. I really like the idea of having to have a parent though, as much of a pain in the ass it is. My dad has told the people at my local gamestop at least 10 times to let me buy whatever I want.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i want more M games dammit. i like a well told story, and if that involves cursing, violence and sex so be it. no worse than an R-rated movie.
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Great Puma (Level 12) captain nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Doesnt bother me , I am 30 and really dont worry about what I play. But I guess I wouldnt let my 3 year old play GTA Vice City

Does it say how many games were released in 2003? What were the total numbers in each category ? I dont think 10 % at an "M" rating is bad at all.
    It leaves alot of games in the areas where I would let my son play.

"until all are one" - Optimus Prime
    Link to collection:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...der=Collection

R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That sounds about right to me, though I would like to know how many games were released in each category.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by captain nintendo
    Doesnt bother me , I am 30 and really dont worry about what I play. But I guess I wouldnt let my 3 year old play GTA Vice City

Does it say how many games were released in 2003? What were the total numbers in each category ? I dont think 10 % at an "M" rating is bad at all.
    It leaves alot of games in the areas where I would let my son play.
    It didn't say how many total.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioAllStar2600
    I really like the idea of having to have a parent though, as much of a pain in the ass it is. My dad has told the people at my local gamestop at least 10 times to let me buy whatever I want.
    I was always against this. As a 21 year old gamer, I was past the age of buying M rated games when they began enforcing this, but it sill seems so wrong to me. I would have missed out on a few enjoyable games this way. True, I can't recall many games become classic with an M rating (Please....no one say GTA......) but there are plenty of games that pushed the boundaries. Video Games was one of the only places that as a Teenager I got to see freedom of speech or expression exercised.... The part that bothers me the most, is that it had to of been a disgruntled gamer turned politician that started all this, because there was a time when no one paid attention to video games. Perhaps I should blame it on the Playstation1 and it's damn popularity making video games mainstream.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those numbers are very reasonable, however, there are a lot of E rated games that shouldn't be E rated. There's a great deal of virtual violence in rated E sports titles that are licensed by the MLB, NBA, NFL, etc. In MLB Slugfest 2004 for example, you can punch out players if they try to tag you out. Is that the kind of violence that's permissable in E rated games? For the ratings systems to properly work, the ESRB needs to pay more attention to these kinds of titles. Slugfest should be T rated as should many other E rated games.

I'm in my 30s, so when buying a title for myself, I could care less what the rating of the game is as longs as it's a good game. I do, however, want to know if there is violence/strong language/sexula innuendos in certain titles I may be buying for someone like a 7 year old.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

sku_u brings up an interesting point: what is "violence"? When asked if his movies were "violent", Jackie Chan describes violence as something with blood/gore, which is what his movies typically do not have. He considers them "action" flicks. What about the antics of The Three Stooges? The view of violence can be pretty subjective.

Is Slugfest violent? I guess I'd have to say "yes". M rated material? I'd say "no". AFAIK there is no blood and the box description clearly makes the title out to be a over-the-top almost parody of baseball games. Besides, the sports leagues have to give their okey-dokey before their logo goes on the box. I doubt if Slugfest had blunt decapitations we'd see the MLB emblem on it.

Like anything worth while these days, you gotta do research. The box can give you an idea of what the title has and the ESRB ratings include the things that stand out as "questionable" but it may not be enough for some people.

Me personally, I don't care if it's M rated or not. If it's a fun game, I'll give it a whirl.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Here's what I wonder: What percentage of sales does that 10% take up? That is a stat that would be interesting.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem isn't the number of M-rated games, but rather the quality and mentality of those games. It seems like most companies try to cash in on blood/gore/violence, when Mortal Kombat fisrt came out I got so intrigued not just by violence, but also great game plays. Now many games simply are out for blood and guts only.

I also don't like the way games are censored here in US, we tend to be liberal on violence, yet very strict on nudity and political incorrectness. Quite the opposite in Europe.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im 15 and was expossed to r-rated movies at about age 6 or 7, so the m rated games have never bothered me, and infact i enjoy those games better than most others cause they have a lot more freedom with the m rating than they do with an e rating.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioAllStar2600
    Not at all. I think if it gets up past 25%ish I think we should start to worry. They want to attract old gamers, but definatly not eleminate younger gamers. I really like the idea of having to have a parent though, as much of a pain in the ass it is. My dad has told the people at my local gamestop at least 10 times to let me buy whatever I want.
    No matter what your dad says, they cannot do this. What if a kid buys a M rated game and then goes out and shoots up people? The store clerk and the parent would be at fault: Clerk for selling it, parent for not stopping kid.

Think about it.
    The epitome of evil lies not in what you do to your enemies, but the intensity and dedication you put into it.

This shirt's too tight, Billy!- Lex Luger's infamous NWA Cyberspace promo

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No.

In fact I'd like to see some X-rated games. When Jill Valentine fights those zombies, let's see her shirt tear off!
    Disclaimer: The message you just read is my opinion. If you do not like my opinion, I apologize in advance. Please explain where my opinion is wrong or fallacious. Thank you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JJNova
    I was always against this. As a 21 year old gamer, I was past the age of buying M rated games when they began enforcing this, but it sill seems so wrong to me. I would have missed out on a few enjoyable games this way.
    I don't see it being any different than needing parent consent to view a 'R' rated movie or to purchase on of the magazines "behind the counter" .

Some things were just never intended for children.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by doomedpeasant
    Im 15 and was expossed to r-rated movies at about age 6 or 7, so the m rated games have never bothered me, and infact i enjoy those games better than most others cause they have a lot more freedom with the m rating than they do with an e rating.
    They may never have "bothered" you but who's really to say that they haven't effected you at all?

For example, I think that its safe to say that what people find to be acceptable language today has dramatically changed since I was a kid. Is it only a coincidence that cursing has become more acceptable in the movies, regular television and the radio in past years? I can't help but believe that when children grow up hearing foul language thay're going to find it acceptable when they grow older. And then what about that person's children? Why should it be any different with violence and sexuality?