Thread: Custom Shelves, Flack Style

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Custom Shelves, Flack Style

Since we're all talking about shelves, I thought I'd throw some pictures of the ones I built into the mix. They're for CD's, but the theory applies to games and stuff as well. They're not nearly as fancy as Goodwill Hunter's, but work great for a quick and dirty solution. And hey, I'm a quick and dirty kind of guy.

I thought this little half wall would be a great place to store my CD's. The first thing I did was paint the wall green (I later painted the entire room green).

This picture is the key as to how I build shelves. First of all, I build them upside down. I take the two side pieces, and screw or nail them into the top shelf (which is lying on the ground -- remember, it's all upside down) so it looks like a big letter U. Then I take a few of whatever the shelf is supposed to hold and put them on each end of the board. In the above picture, you can see I have a few CD's. Then I put TWO CD'S sideways on top of the stack. Do this on both ends, lie the next piece of shelving on top of the two stacks, and screw it into place. The shelf should be exactly even because the stacks on both ends are even. Make sense? Then just move your CD's to the next shelf up, lay down another piece of wood, and do it again!

Here you can see my impromptu spacer holding a shelf in place before I screwed the shelf in. I found that 2 CD's sideways is just about the right width to get a finger in there and pull a CD out. When I built my DVD shelves, I did the same thing -- a stack of DVD's, and then 2 sideways on top.

This is what they look like when being assembled. Remember, you're building it upside down.

This is an old trick that I always use. When building shelves, I always notch out the backside of the bottom of the supports. That way, I can push them flush up against the wall. The notch goes around the floor trim piece on the wall.

Unfortunately, the wood I bought for this project was either too soft or too long. You can see the shelves sagging a bit in the middle in the picture. What I ended up doing was going back to Lowe's and picking up a dozen of those little (3") metal L shaped brackets. I supported each shelf in the middle with one, and stuck one on each side to hold it to the wall. A $10 stud finder will help you find the studs in the wall, so you can secure your shelves directly to wood.

Here is the finished product. The wood for this project cost me around $20-$30 if I remember correctly. I prefer wood screws but you could use nails if you wanted. They aren't fancy, but they're a cheap and quick way to store a bunch of stuff. They look good painted or stained, or if you can pull it off in your room, they don't look bad just plain.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The finished product looks nice, I like the length.
    Looking to sell a videogame magazine collection of 200(+) magazines, 60 cents each, send me a PM if you're interested!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Starcade
    There's a "that's what my wife says" joke in there somewhere ...

What I like about them is they are built for what they hold. In otherwords, the shelf heights are perfect. That doesn't make them very flexible for other uses though.

I have built shelves in my garage in much the same fashion. I did the same thing except for my spacers I used a milk crate on each end with a 2x4 on top of it. That way, the shelves were plenty big for random storage, plus I could store milk crates on them!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

love your bass's... im a bassist too!

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

love your bass's
    I like the length of em, I mean, your wife, I mean, shit, never mind.

-Rob[/quote]
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Originally, the room was simply "my" room. One corner had all my musical instruments, one corner had videogame stuff, and one entire wall had my computers. With the projector screen, it's really limited what I can do. Basically, the computers have been shoved into the window seat alcove, my guitars have been shoved into the closet, and everything else is videogame related.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    Quote Originally Posted by Starcade
    There's a "that's what my wife says" joke in there somewhere ...

What I like about them is they are built for what they hold. In otherwords, the shelf heights are perfect. That doesn't make them very flexible for other uses though.

I have built shelves in my garage in much the same fashion. I did the same thing except for my spacers I used a milk crate on each end with a 2x4 on top of it. That way, the shelves were plenty big for random storage, plus I could store milk crates on them!
    lol
    Looking to sell a videogame magazine collection of 200(+) magazines, 60 cents each, send me a PM if you're interested!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only thing I see that could be a problem is the eventual sagging that those boards are gonna do.

Im still perfecting shelving units for my collection, i was using dowels, but i will mostlikley goto copper pipe or conduit.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XJR15
    The only thing I see that could be a problem is the eventual sagging that those boards are gonna do.

Im still perfecting shelving units for my collection, i was using dowels, but i will mostlikley goto copper pipe or conduit.
    well did you read this "What I ended up doing was going back to Lowe's and picking up a dozen of those little (3") metal L shaped brackets. I supported each shelf in the middle with one, and stuck one on each side to hold it to the wall."

Nice job, thats a crapload of CDS! how much did taht wood cost you? I need to make shelves but dont want to spend much.
    Midwest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

damn i thought i had alot of cds...i have about 200...

that easily looks like around 1000...how many do you have?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice looking shelf. That is alot of cd's. I like how unique it is, with the length. I just dont understand why you didnt make at least one dvd level though? Look real nice though.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioAllStar2600
    Nice looking shelf. That is alot of cd's. I like how unique it is, with the length. I just dont understand why you didnt make at least one dvd level though? Look real nice though.
    " When I built my DVD shelves, I did the same thing -- a stack of DVD's, and then 2 sideways on top. "

Maybe you should have read his shelf making process ....if you still dont get it, he already made a dvd shelf.
    Midwest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

charitycasegreg is right on both questions!

The DVD shelves I built are at the bottom of the stairs.

This picture is a bit old, and the shelves are now completely filled, with extra DVD's sitting around on the stairs. That's one problem with building shelves like this -- gotta plan ahead!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whoisKeel
    damn i thought i had alot of cds...i have about 200...

that easily looks like around 1000...how many do you have?
    Before I started ReviewToAKill (RIP), I had a little over 1,000. From RTAK (a review site) I'd say I got another 100-150 CD's that I still need to put on my list and file away. Being anal is very time consuming. Of course, out of those CD's a lot of them are total crap ... it's just so hard to get rid of them.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Nice looking shelves! The bookcases I use are ones I bought at Home Depot.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by charitycasegreg

well did you read this "What I ended up doing was going back to Lowe's and picking up a dozen of those little (3") metal L shaped brackets. I supported each shelf in the middle with one, and stuck one on each side to hold it to the wall."

Nice job, thats a crapload of CDS! how much did taht wood cost you? I need to make shelves but dont want to spend much.
    Well, did you read this "The wood for this project cost me around $20-$30 if I remember correctly."

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dreams
    Quote Originally Posted by charitycasegreg

Well, did you read this "The wood for this project cost me around $20-$30 if I remember correctly."

burned...
    Midwest