Thread: Fighting game community suffers a great loss

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Default Fighting game community suffers a great loss

"Mummy-b", longtime supporter of the fighting game scene, and a knowledgeable person all around, is dying of cancer. Chances are if you've been to fierceslash, shoryuken, or even snk-capcom, and numerous other sites, you've at least heard of him. The genuine outpouring of emotion from the community is amazing, and how many lives he's touched just by doing this is incredible. The following is his post from shoryuken.com where he announces the bad news:

I am really sorry guys, but it really is over this time. There is nothing anybody can do for me, it's just a matter of time before I go. All they can do is give me chemotherapy and hope that it works and that will help me live through the rest of this year. Otherwise, I'm going to have to go sooner than that.

It just spread everywhere. There's too many ways I can die. It's in my lungs so eventually I may stop breathing. It's in my back so eventually I may become completely paralyzed. It's starting to form in my head so I may die from seizures after I eventually suffer memory loss and that kind of stuff. There's more. I have so much pain everyday that I can't function like a normal person anymore. It's so painful to stand that using the bathroom and taking a shower are two of the hardest things for me. I can hardly eat anymore. I can't walk anymore either, nothing is wrong with my legs but the pain on my back when I walk is too much. I can't breathe like I used to. Just about everything I do involves pain and difficulty and it's not going to get any better. I'm sorry I couldn't come through for you guys, I tried my hardest and so did my doctors, but there is just nothing left to do for me but to wait for me to eventually die in however many months it's going to be.

Right now I am just doing my best to try and learn to accept this the best I can and to find the best way to spend the rest of life.

Thank you all for all of your support. This kind of thing is what makes SRK a different place.

If you really think about it, it is a pretty lame idea. Hundreds of people spending time online posting messages on a bullietin board because we are drawn together for our love of, of all things, video games. A childish hobby that we take so seriously, or have so much fun with, that we have people dedicated to the sole purpose of ensuring we can all get together and play. And not just play. Put in ridiculous amounts of time, effort, and money.

What happened here is different though. This a community of people that just happens to be drawn together by video games. It's just a common bond.

If the moderators can get the staff of SRK to read this, I would really appreciate it:

To the Cannons, MrWizard, and all others who are instrumental in the upkeep of SRK and its events -
    I would like to extend my gratitude to you for working so hard to keep this place alive. I know that it's not easy and it's not cheap. I also know you don't even have to do it all. If you really wanted to, you could throw in the towel and save yourselves of trouble.

For the sake of the players and the community that has grown here, you all work your hardest to maintain this place just so people have a place to come together and bullshit about things that more than half world doesn't even take seriously. Because you do this, you have managed to bring together people from all over this country and it's really an amazing thing.

Because of this site, I was able to make friends whenever I moved in the US. It was very hard for me, because I had never lived here in the US and, even now, I am still adjusting my way of life to accomodate the differences between the culture I grew up in and one I currently live in. I moved from Boston to Gainesville during a very difficult part of my life and because of this place, I was able to meet with and make friends with very good people.

I appreciate your hard work and dedication to keep this site up. A vast majority of the people here don't even know me and are great enough people to be willing to support me through the last part of my life. This is a great community of people. Please don't stop doing what you do, because no one does it better.

I'll be back and post again sometime soon. Thank you guys for everything.
    There's talk of having a ceremony to honor him and his contributions at next year's Evolution tournament, and honestly, I can't think of any better place to do that.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn thats sad. Cancer is really bad to die through

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Thank you emoticons... for being able to convey what i'm feeling into one face...

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have no clue who this guy is but that post was kind of upsetting. Cancer sucks man.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

wow... I've had minor dealings with him and he's an all around helpful guy... knows so much about how to play so many characters and all their permutations, and more than willing to help people out. This is sad news indeed. I don't know what to say beyond that... I hope he gets to a better place in peace.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow...that is really upsetting. it's a terrible thing to read. No one should deserve to have to spend their last moments in aganizing pain waiting to die. I feel very, very sorry for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't know him, don't know if I would have worded it as "fighting game community suffers a great loss," but i totally feel for him. A close relative of mine died of cancer 2 months ago. I literally was with this relative to the last. It's a horrible thing to watch someone wither and die right before your eyes. I wish there was an easy cure to cancer. It seems that there isn't. Events like this makes one appreciate life so much more. I will pray for him.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At times like this community is important.

I'm proud to be a member of this one, and am proud to be associated with a hobbyist community in general as wide and diverse as the video game community.

... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, I know him from SRK. It's is a horrible circumstance but there is a bit of hope. Everyone at SRK has come together through all of this. I desperately wish everything turns out fine, but it may not come true. Mummy-B if you're reading this I wish you damn good luck in fighting this demon of a curse. I've wished you luck here and I've wished you luck at srk.

Good luck man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I knew him from alot of sites...I remember on SNK-capcom how he'd try to educate the people there on competitive playing and strategy. Even tried to educate on SNK games. I'll go so far as to say that without him, fierceslash, and the strides they've made, would not exist for the SNK scene. He wasn't the most famous player, but he did alot to help those just starting out, and of course, his Rock/Terry combo in CvS2 was supposed to be deadly.

Between him and Kao Megura, this has not been a good year for fighting game players.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Rest In Peace, Brian Graham. 8/25/04 is another sad day for the 2D fighter community.

I only talked to him once, but he helped me learn how to better my King in CvS2. Most people sort of scoff at her, but he took my request seriously and helped me out. I thank him a lot for that. He was a good man and I hope he's free from the pain he was suffering in this lifetime.

You can only go higher up the ranks from here. Blessed Be.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man this is a horrible loss, but he's in a better place now. I found this out on SRK and immediately I changed the topic (in #vbender) to:

R.I.P. Brian Graham AKA Mummy-B - 8/25/04

Have fun playing cvs2 with God man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Rest in Peace dude...you were a great guy, and it's a shame that your path through life was filled with such pain...
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives

Pac-Man (Level 10) Arqueologia_Digital's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Q.E.P.D. y espero que estes en un lugar mejor. Gracias por todo lo que suministraste para la comunidad de jugadores de juegos de pelea en 2D...

Matías

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Such depressing news...hate to hear when people pass away.

Hopefully, he's in a better place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hate to hear when people die, especially when it is something horrid as cancer or a car accident or something. Anyway, I will keep him in my prayers. So sad.