Thread: Doom 3 Problem - H E L P !

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Doom 3 Problem - H E L P !

OK, I finally got the game, and my specs are above minimum (ATI Radeon 9700, 512 MB Ram, Pentium 4, etc etc) but the game is CONSTANTLY freezing on me. It will freeze the screen, but the sound will still play and nothing works...can't even Ctrl/alt/del! I have to manually restart my computer.

Ive tried uninstalling, reinstalling, I'm pretty sure I have the latest drivers. Any idea what's going on?

If you think you can help, AIM me - Cmosfm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I saw that you have an ATI card, and to be honest, ATI cards suck with this game. I would know, I used a 9600 on this game. It should've ran A LOT better, but ATI cards are having problems.

ATI did just release a patch that was made specifically for Doom 3, so, I'd pick that up if you haven't yet.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Hmmm, I'll get the Doom 3 Catalyst 4.9 patch now, glad to hear you ran it on a 9600...makes me feel more confident that I can actually get it working. From what I see the game looks great and I'm gonna be thoroughly dissapointed if I can't get it running.

Ok, downloading patch, I'll be back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shupirate

I have an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro I have not updated the drivers since the card was installed last Dec. I checked ati's website but I am not sure what driver to download. I downloaded the Doom 3 Catalyst 4.9 patch and tried to install it but it gave me a pretty strong warning that it could mess up my whole system. I have a P4 Windows XP. If someone could help me determine which is the latest driver for this card I would appreciate it

Dustin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Doom 3 Problem - H E L P !

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    OK, I finally got the game, and my specs are above minimum (ATI Radeon 9700, 512 MB Ram, Pentium 4, etc etc) but the game is CONSTANTLY freezing on me. It will freeze the screen, but the sound will still play and nothing works...can't even Ctrl/alt/del! I have to manually restart my computer.

Ive tried uninstalling, reinstalling, I'm pretty sure I have the latest drivers. Any idea what's going on?

If you think you can help, AIM me - Cmosfm
    I had the same problem on my 9800 pro until I installed the absolute newest video drivers.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

glad to hear you ran it on a 9600...makes me feel more confident that I can actually get it working.
    For giggles I isntalled it on my editing computer at work which has a Radeon 7000.. basically a GF2 MX400..

ran at low detail (there was no pixel shading back then so just "phuedo shadows") at 40-30fps at 800x600 on a 1.8ghz AMD XP 1.5 gig ram system. It did drop down below 30 but that was a $35 card a YEAR ago..

of course it doesn't beat 2xaa 1024x768 high detail on the 9800 That is a real horror show. I couldn't even play the game more then an hour because my nerves were shot.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Ok, well....I downloaded the latest display driver and started installation of it, then I got an error message...

INF Error
    Video Driver Not Found

followed by...

Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup.

hmmm, this is kinda odd being that Dell was supposed to have set this up before I got the laptop. All other games are running perfect! So...any clue on this one or should I pick up the phone and call ATI monday morning?

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, well....I downloaded the latest display driver and started installation of it, then I got an error message...

INF Error
    Video Driver Not Found

followed by...

Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup.

hmmm, this is kinda odd being that Dell was supposed to have set this up before I got the laptop. All other games are running perfect! So...any clue on this one or should I pick up the phone and call ATI monday morning?
    I'd pass on calling ATI. If you haven't already noticed, the only way to get customer service from them is to call a FUCKING 900 NUMBER!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had the very same problem on my laptop and its running a AMD 64 3.0+ 512 ram and 9600 radeon. The problem IMO is the sound card the game is very taxing on em and when there too many soundsat one time it crashes.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hehehe, it's conversations like this that remind me why I went back to console gaming.

buy game
    put game in system
    play

Gotta wonder how long it'll be before Doom 3 makes it to consoles tho...
    and even then it probably wont be as good as the PC version... but the simplicity of use is worth the trade-off in my opinion.

Alex Kidd
    The Weed Of Crime Bears Bitter Fruit You Old Hag!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

u tried deleting registry keys and game folder then reinstalling and playing? othrwise return to shop i did that with RTCW:Extended Edition

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How much memory does the video card have? I really wouldn't want to play the game on anything less than 128. Try doing the patch, update to the latest official drivers and if that doesn't work, the problem lies somewhere else.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you remember to uninstall your old video drivers before you installed the new ones?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

OK, I've passed on downloading the Doom 3 patch from ATI, buuuut I've figured out the reason why I get the error messages when trying to install the Display driver.

Well, my card is a ATI MOBILITY Radeon 9700 64MB on a Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop, and come to find out that I can only use drivers that are put out by Dell themselves. Odd but true. Anyways, as we speak I am downloading a new video driver that was released a few days ago that is supposed to fix "Doom 3 Game Hang Issue".

I'm assuming this will work, if not, then you may not see me a while for I will probably have rammed my fist through my LCD screen.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, I was looking at all these peoples benchmarks, I have a 9800 pro, gig of ram, and a 1.8 p4, but I can barely get 25fps. What the hell is the deal? I know that in CS:S Beta I can get around 30 fps. Is there something in general I need to fix, or what?

EDIT
    Looks like I found the reason. I have been running 4.7 this whole time. I could have sworn that I got the 4.8 update. Well, lets see how it goes...
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Well....looks like IM FIXED!

THanks for your advice guys, took me a long ass time to get this one working but all I needed was updated video drivers.

That was easy, now I can calm down after my 6 hour long panic attack.

Strawberry (Level 2) Pedro Lambrini's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    I had the very same problem on my laptop and its running a AMD 64 3.0+ 512 ram and 9600 radeon. The problem IMO is the sound card the game is very taxing on em and when there too many soundsat one time it crashes.
    Doom 3 doesn't actually use your sound card for any other reason than to punt the sound out. Id invented this new s/w mixing thang - all the mixing is done on the main processor. That's why there's no EAX ans such like in the options menus. If people are having probs running this game on a decent gfx card the first place I would look would be your processor and then your memory - this game likes a lot of it to run well!

On a different note, when updating Radeon drivers the Catalyst 4.8 one is grand. However 4.9 beta is also cool, the reason you get the big warning when installing it is jsut because it is a beta and ATI are covering their arses!

Cmosfm: Dell are a bit like Compaq - propriety shite (Just a joke!)

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

It's reasons like that I make sure to get generic parts that can be used by ANYONE. Trying to deal with proertority sound cards and the like sucks ass.

I'll get the game when the used prices drops to $30.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion