I dunno if anyone will remember this and im not sure if the magazine was available in the states but i think uk gamers might remember it...

Back in the days of the SNES there was a uk magazine called NINTENDO MAGAZINE SYSTEM and when the first Mortal Kombat game was released (mortal monday! ahh memories...) they played an april fools trick which i think most people fell for.......

If u remember there was a big uproar about the violent nature of the game and Nintendo, wanting to keep their clean cut image, had all the blood and death moves removed... the first question on SNES/MK minds was "i wonder if there is a cheat to unlock the blood??" so NMS capatalised on this and in there march issue featured an article claiming to have discovered the cheat.

It went something like this. You had to tape a 1 pence coin to the top of the cart to fool the machine into thinking it was the earlier version of the game that used slightly heavier carts which included the cheat. Then you had to do a series of things (win 2 rounds flawless then perform your fatality with a few seconds left or sumthin like that, then you had to enter a button combo on pad 2), after that you apparently would hear a noise to indicate the cheat had worked... the magazine featured a full 2 page spread on this with "screenshots" of the unlocked death moves which "were improvements on the arcade originals", basically they were all new killer fatalities (ha ha ye right) and the screens were just original in game shots that were messed with to look like new fatalities.

I think everyone who read the mag fell for it and lookin back i cant beleive the hours i sat there trying to get it to work......i will put it down to childhood ignorance.