Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Default Neo Geo Thoughts

Well after years of hemming and hawing I finally got a Neo Geo AES. It came with two joysticks and two games: Ninja Combat and Baseball Stars Professional. I've always wanted one of these since I saw it in Babbges back in 92.

My first reaction upon pulling this stuff out of the box was how big the games are! When people were charging $5 to $7 shipping on ebay I thought they were just ripping people off, but these things are huge and heavy! Think Super NES game on steroids. Also I noticed they have two boards in them, I've never seen that before.

Unfortunately the first game I played on the Neo Geo was also one of the worst. Ninja Combat has to be one of the absolute worst games I've ever seen! If this is 46 Mega I want to know what they did with the other 45.75 Megs! Not only were the graphics only ho-hum, but the enemies were repetative, the control was lousy, and the plot was laughable. The game was also freakin' hard! One or two hits would kill you, and there was no limited invincibility when you got hit so one enemy could just run through you and you'd die. I gritted my teeth and worked my way through the game just to see the ending and never touch it again. Bad bad bad.....

The second game I played was Baseball Stars Professional. Now this game was more what I was thinking of. I wasn't expecting much since it's one of the earlier Neo Geo games, but I ws pleasently surprised. The graphics were pretty good (for 1991). The gameplay was simple, which is exactly the way I like my sports games. The best thing was the announcers, they were easy to understand and really added some character to the game. Too bad the computer kicked my ass 9-4.

Overall I'm happy with the Neo Geo. I'm looking forward to getting some of the later games like KOF 2001 or Metal Slug 3. Good thing is I have one of my favorite arcade games coming next week: Samurai Shodown 2!

Tempest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dude welcome to my world of neo-geo, with time you will learn patience and learn to appreciate even the worst that Snk Had to offer lol....On a serious note the neo-geo's Carts are huge and bulky so as you keep getting more games it's always nice to get a nice book case or shelf to display them. AES Carts look super when you have tons of them and you can display them nicely. Just remember being a neo elite takes time and tons of Cash as the more sought after neo games demand a huge price, I can tell you 1st hand the neo is a 2D fighters game machine Dream, as it has some super games. The games you got are what we neo collectors call the Bunk games or the 1st gen games which is what all neo collectors or people new to the neo scene start to get 1st and gradually work your way up to the better games. You will now have to decide what route you want to go and see if you want to collect USA games Or the japanese versions. The japanese games generally have better and full cover artwork then the USA games but the USA games have the luxury of you being able to read the manuals and the spines. Although it matters not what version you get as any of the neo formats will play and have the option to set the language on any USA home system.
    So Remember Jap games Super Art-worka and a little less doe, USA versions Peace of mindof you being able to read them as well as more collectable from a collectors point of view. Then again if you not into the neo for the collector sense just get what you enjoy any version will do and have a blast.

Enjoy a great piece of 2D history.

Thanks

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll take that Ninja Combat game off your hands if you don't want it

Anyway, I like Neo Geo too but luckily I got all the games I wanted years ago when buying them used wasn't very popular. I like Baseball Stars but the computer seems to cheat. It either lets you win by a small margin or seriously kicks your ass.

PG

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

I like 2D fighters, but some of my favorite Neo Geo games from the arcade are those first generation games (but obviously not Ninja Combat). I like games like Top Hunter, Super Spy, Crossed Swords (one of my faves), and Viewpoint. Someday I hope to get a few MVS conversions like Nightmare in the Dark, Neo Mr. Do, and Zupapa (without the whole Neo Geo Freak mess).

Yeah I'm not going to jump into the $300+ range right away. There are alot of games you can get for $50 or less.

Tempest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tempest to soon be poor all the time..
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Ascending Wordsmith's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Tempest, congrats man! I just bought a Neo Geo CD system three days ago. I can't afford the cart system, so I just went the disc option. I think SNK is one of the best gaming companies to ever exist. Sure, you got 2D fighters up the wahzoo, but their other games like Metal Slug, Baseball Stars, Twinkle Star Sprites, Ikari Warriors, and others are still fun to play.

I'm gonna miss SNK; it was like the Switzerland of the gaming wars. No one paid any attention to it but they knew how powerful it was.

If invading Iraq was this much fun, I'd sign up!
    Never use a long word where a short one will do.

--George Orwell

(formerly PC Kwaj)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@ Tempest: Too cool! Neo Geo rules!

@ Kwajalein: ! I just bought a Neo Geo CD system a week or so ago too...that's funny. I also bought it cause I can't afford carts. I also was swayed by the fact that I had about 6 games for it ahead of time though What version did you get? Front or top?

Apparently the one I'm getting is some sort of freakish console. It's a Neo Geo CD Frontloader, but it's apparently PAL. It should be here any day now so I get to see for sure, but I've been told that such a thing as a PAL Neo Geo CD Frontloader doesn't exist, so I'm hoping it's some sort of weird proto, not a modded Japanese one!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Heh, everybody's feeling the love of the Neo, apparently.

I got myself a Neo CDZ (just like everyone else, can't afford AES) around a month ago. For those who don't know, a CDZ is the same as a regular Neo Geo CD, except it loads games TWICE AS FAST!!! Now I don't have to read a few chapters of The Brothers Karamazov while I'm waiting for Real Bout Fatal Fury to load. ^_^

@Tempest: Crossed Swords is a weird one, isn't it?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'm just waiting until i find one at a garage sale for 50 cents....

how did you get yours? ebay for about a million dollars?
    Somebody once told me to get a life.

I told them I sold it for money to buy video games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Yashiro
    Heh, everybody's feeling the love of the Neo, apparently.

I got myself a Neo CDZ (just like everyone else, can't afford AES) around a month ago. For those who don't know, a CDZ is the same as a regular Neo Geo CD, except it loads games TWICE AS FAST!!! Now I don't have to read a few chapters of The Brothers Karamazov while I'm waiting for Real Bout Fatal Fury to load. ^_^
    Actually, the CDZ does NOT load twice as fast as the CD system (at least not for all games, maybe the older ones tho?)...it's just a well-perpetrated myth, as explained here: http://www.neo-geo.com/ in the entry for CDZ under glossary. For those of you who don't want to look it up:

"CDZ

The Neo Geo CDZ is the second CD system made by SNK. It has been falsely claimed that it has a double speed drive. Actually, it has a larger cache for holding loaded information, and has a more efficient CD drive. Still does not eliminate the notorious CD load times on later titles. Has been said to be less reliable than the original CD system."

Apparently, from what I've heard, the CDZ systems break down more often, although I doubt it's a concern with those of us collectors who care for their games and systems

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have a japanese aes system, and since im a big fan of 2D fighters, its a great system. im just happy that the best fighter on the system, samurai shodown 2, is cheap. if you only get one king of fighters game, i recommend '98.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ...

I used to collect the Neo-Geo, and had about 75 games when I follishly sold my collection off to pay my god darn bills a few years ago. I see from your first post that you weren't satisfied with Ninja Combat. Well, welcome to the club. I on the other hand purchased the game new from Babbages for the sum of $199! I brought the game home and beat it in about a half an hour. Because of the unlimited continues that is Anyway, there are some really great games you can get for cheaper than the $300+ games you may find (although they are generally pretty nice...like Blazing Star for example) but I would go for Magician Lord first if you don't already have it. SInce it is pretty common, you can get the game for $30 or $40 usually. I always loved that game for some reason. I love changing into different characters.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Detroit: Home of Chrome wheels, Dope deals and Vacant fields...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Neo-Geo

Neo-Geo Ownz...welcome to the club.

I have about 50 games for my system including some rare titles. I see you didn't like Ninja Combat...too bad. I don't know how old some of you are but perhaps the reason you didn't like it is because your spoiled. I bought mine back in 1990...back then the best game consoles were Genesis and SNES and maybe Turbo. When I 1st played NC I was blown away by the graphics and gameplay...nothing like it existed to that point except the arcade. Most of my friends agreed. Nowadays, with the newer systems like PS2, Xbox and Cube...if you see a Neo now you liable to make those kind of negative comments...spoiled with all the great graphics and poor gameplay (in some cases) with the current systems.

Someone in an above post spoke of waiting for one at a flea market for 50 cents...Ha! Fat chance, since some game titles fetch over $1000 on Ebay, and climbing. I could sell my Ninja Masters cart for $800, easy.

Some of the best games to look for are:

Viewpoint
    Last Resort
    Metal Slug Series
    KOF Series
    RealBout series
    Samurai Showdown Series

Some other good ones are:

Last Blade 1,2
    Alpha mission 2
    World Heroes
    League Bowling is a fun party game
    Sengoku
    Rage of the Dragons
    Savage Reign

Enjoy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

I see you didn't like Ninja Combat...too bad. I don't know how old some of you are but perhaps the reason you didn't like it is because your spoiled
    No I didn't like it because it was seriously flawed in many ways. It's just a poor game all the way around (not to mention it looked like a Genesis game).

Tempest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default NEO GEO

I just got a NEO GEO japan system with 2 controllers and Samurai Showdown ? (dont know which one its from japan) and king of monsters 2. Got the system cheap beacuse it had some scratches on it(135$). I am very happy with the system and I am going to start hunting for some of the games listed above. The only reason I got it was because it was one of the systems I have never played. I thought for 135$ it was worth a shot.
    But I do have a question,does baseball stars have battery back up or do you have to use a memmory card?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Someone in an above post spoke of waiting for one at a flea market for 50 cents
    Thats Me!
    Somebody once told me to get a life.

I told them I sold it for money to buy video games.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But I do have a question,does baseball stars have battery back up or do you have to use a memmory card?
    Yup, you need the memory card.

No I didn't like it because it was seriously flawed in many ways. It's just a poor game all the way around (not to mention it looked like a Genesis game).
    To each his own...I still can't see how you can compare it to a Genesis game...were you even around in 1990? Compare it to lets say "Streets of Rage"...even though Streets of Rage was a good game, Ninja Combat was far superior in every way...how someone could look at the 2 and say SOR's graphics/sound/gameplay is better than Ninja Combat needs their head examined.

No offense, just my opinion.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

lol There must be something in the air! I just recently purchased a Neo*Geo AES system w/ sam. Shodown II and i've been having an orgasmic blast I was one of those kids that was in absolute AWE of the machine back in the early 90s and used to get all teary eyed upon seeing it in game stores, but knowing there was no way in hell i'd be able to own one. Fast forward 10 or more yrs and BOOYA! Happy as hell I initially thought that i'd be spoiled by the modern consoles and as such the N*G wouldnt seem quite as hot. However, when i powered own, it was simply beautiful. Even the sound, one of the first things that dazzled me in the arcades as a kid, ROCKED, especially when you pop in headphones and get the stereo effect. SNK was way ahead of their time I've almost havent touched my PS2 since i've bought it, only to play the odd Madden game here and there (which rocks, btw ).

about Ninja Combat: Yeh, i can see why ppl say it sucked. Even when it first came out i knew it wasnt the greatest with its stiff controls/animation, but the graphics and sound were like WHOA!

Right now i'm in the "newbee" phase where I'm trying to snatch up as many sub-$100 carts as possible. I'm looking to get Magician Lord and Baseball Stars 2 in the near future. Also, whats the usual going price for windjammers/flying disc somthing-or-ther? I DL'ed the *cough*rom*cough* and i'm eager to own it.
    http://www.2d-x.com
    The best 2D and 2.5D video games.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

www.neo-geo.com has a pretty up-to-date price list for such items.

[img] http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/extern/1063787.jpg [/img]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Windjammers is an excellent game, It depends what version you get the USA version is always a bit more it can between 140.00 to about 180.00 Depending Ive seen some go for about 200.00 .
    The jap version can run you about 100.00 to 150.00.

Thanks