Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Most technically advanced NES & Super NES games?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sibs
    For NES, I'd say either Super Mario Bros. 3 or Battletoads.

For the SNES, I'd say Final Fantasy III for 2-D games and Super Mario RPG for the 3-D ones.

I don't think that Super Mario rpg was 3d. I think it just used rendered sprites. Starfox would be a 3d game because of the polygons.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well...i think he meant that it "looks" 3-d, independently of how the programmers did it

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Historian Live

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy
    I always felt DK and KI 'cheated' with their graphics.
    Ditto.. technically it's just rendered sprites.. nothing that pushed the system any further.

Uniracers really pulled off dual screen for two players pretty well and it's crazy fast in some areas..

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mario RPG had the Isometric view, similar to Megaman Battle Network. They pulled that one off VERY well.

Did it have a chip to accelerate anything like the Super FX, etc?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Castelak
    The original Star Ocean for the Super Famicom get's my vote. Never released statewise, but you can get an english patch for a rom...
    I don't know much about Star Ocean yet, but Tales of Phantasia...wow. I can't believe they put in that music frontend! x_X

So much animation...the mind is baffled...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yet another one of these topics, and I'm still first at giving some of the following games props :

NES - Batman: Revenge of the Joker - Hands down the most impressive graphical feat on the NES.

NES - Dragon's Lair - It is horrible and slow, but the animation is smooth and Dirk is huge on the screen - good stuff.

SNES - Yoshi's Island - I just played through it recently, and it literally made me say *WOW* again! Just plain awesome graphics.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy
    I always felt DK and KI 'cheated' with their graphics.
    I agree, I never liked the way that stuff looked, same reason I never really got into Mario Kart 64, though granted that was only with the characters.... I think it's ok to use "tricks" as long as they're done with a certain sense of... proportion that works with the game itself... Yoshi's Island is a great example of this. They use all kinds of FX Chip effects in that game, but it's done in a certain way that... let me think... embraces the technology to enhance the game, rather than just utilizing tricks like pre-rendered graphics to fool the eye. I really liked Donkey Kong Country as a game, I still might play it from time to time. But I think that older console games like this, games like Yoshi's Island, who sort of embrace what they are, which is a 2D game, while sprinkling some nice little tidbits of 3D for effect, instead of trying to "pretend" that it's a 3D game, will ultimately make it stand the test of time.

Ok, end of unnescesarily long technology/game-design balance idealism rant. phew.
    My votes:

Yoshi's Island
    Starfox
    Stunt Race FX
    Doom. Ok, Doom I originally wasn't going to put in a vote for, as it was basically just corner-cutting and downgrading of a great PC game into something... worse. But, that's not the issue. the fact that you can play this game on the SNES is enough to warrant a mention here. I'll also have to try all these japanese titles everyone seems to be mentioning...

As for NES, well I'm not really sure. 3D Worldrunner maybe? It's a bit harder for me to try and gauge which games are pushing the limits in terms of 2D here. My guess would be TMNT2, and perhaps Snake's Revenge?

... did someone mention Mario RPG as a "3d game"? I can't believe everyone doesn't know the whole concept of pre-rendered graphics... well, actually I can, as my two younger sisters didn't grasp the whole concept until I explained it to them while they were playing Mario Kart 64. No, the graphics in Mario RPG aren't real 3D. They're just flat pictures made to look 3D. Sort of like when Wile E. Coyote paints a flat picture on the wall that looks like a train tunnel... yes, I just went there. Also, there is no Santa Claus.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd have to say Axelay for SNES. It must've pushed the hell out of it for a game with only 6 levels and no special effects chip to achieve the effects.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nes- shadow of the ninja

snes- i guess possibly clay fighter??
    BLAST AWAY AND GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SNES:
    -Probably have to go with Chrono Trigger for sheer eye candy
    -Super Punchout was cool too for the large, well animated characters.
    -Out of this World blew me away the first time I saw it, but now it loks pretty damn ugly.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For NES, I'd have to say Kirby's Adventure, Mr. Gimmick, Super mario Bros. 3, Recca, and Moon Crystal.

For Snes, I'd say Yoshi's Island, mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Kirby's Dream land 3, and Ganbare Goemon 4.
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mark III
    -Out of this World blew me away the first time I saw it, but now it loks pretty damn ugly.
    Actually, I tried out the Genesis version recently - wow! It's hard to believe they pulled that off on the Genny. Flash-style vector graphics!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the NES:
    SMB 3 - Definately pushed the most in my opinion
    Maniac Mansion

SNES:
    Donkey Country 1-3
    Yoshi's Island
    Super Mario World

Apple (Level 5) Lord Contaminous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lagrange Point (Famicom)
    This game is home of the almighty Konami VRC7, the most powerful of the Japanese Famicom sound expansion chips. It's so powerful that it mimics PC Engine/Turbografx 16 music, or 16-bit sound and music in general. The only 8-bit game to miraculously pull that off.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Somebody already mentioned Batman: Return of the Joker for the NES, and that does have extremely impressive graphics. I never found that game all that much fun to play, though; the original was a much better game.

The Jungle Book is another graphically impressive NES game. Almost appears to be 16-bit quality. Another graphically impressive game is Micro Machines; the stages had an incredible amount of detail for an NES title. I also thought Electronic Arts pulled off a good port of The Immortal, which featured some incredible animations on the NES.

I consider it somewhat surprising, but a few pirate Famicom games really impress me. I have a Street Fighter 3 cart, and the size of the character sprites and the detail in the backgrounds is very impressive for an 8-bit cart. There is a good amount of flicker deal with, so it's not perfect, but not bad for a Hong Kong original. Not up to the quality of the arcade or SNES versions, but a lot more than I thought the NES could handle. I also got a game labelled as Super Aladdin 3 in the mail; this is a Hong Kong original, and the graphics are VERY impressive. Sometimes pirate carts are just simple hacks of other games, but there are a few great games out there that are totally original. I'm still blown away by how good this Aladdin game is; it looks and plays almost like a 16-bit title.

Another game that impresses me is Super Spy Hunter. So much shit going on all at once, although there is a lot of slowdown to deal with. I guess that game pushes the system TOO hard.

In terms of gameplay time, I'd have to give the nod to a game like Dragon Warrior 3 or 4. Those are probably 30-40 hour RPG's right there, not bad for an 8-bit title.

SNES, I only have about 50 games for it, so I can't really comment too much on what seems to push the limits the most......the version of Street Fighter Alpha 2 for SNES always did impress me, especially with the detailed backgrounds. Not a bad version, considering that the game was best suited to the 32-bit consoles.
    "Everything that you've ever done, are doing now, or will ever do is a complete waste of time unless it directly involves Randy 'Macho Man' Savage." - random Amazon.com review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Allow me to mention the glorious parallax scrolling and drum samples of Crisis Force, one of Konami's finest Famicom shmups. The enemies and bosses are glorious too. Also, I consider Journey to Silius on the NES to be very advanced, at least in the music department. I still consider Super Castlevania IV to be a technological marvel on the SNES, as well as Dracula X, though the latter could have used more beautiful Mode 7 transparency effects like the fire in stage 1.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most people in the snes emulation community would say that Super Metroid is one of the most advanced snes games without any special chips. There is a reason why there is a pause between rooms.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One game that amazed me graphically was Gremlins 2-NES with it's near 16-bit graphics, large boss sprites some nice audio and I think 7 layers of parralax scrolling in tiny windows of some levels.

Not the most graphically impressive but a game that had very good animation on the SNES was MegaMan and Bass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It never saw its completion, but am I the only one who anticipated what Colour Dreams' Hellraiser game was to have been on the NES?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh yeah, that one. That would've been amazing :)

Like SNES Wolfenstein, running on the NES!