Thread: WipeOut Pure - Who's Involved?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default WipeOut Pure - Who's Involved?

W1P3OU7 Fans...

I still hold Wipeout XL and Wip3out (3) in extremely high regards. I popped in Wipeout Fusion last night and finally decided that it's MORE unplayable than W1P3OUT (1). So I'm going to put it in storage with the rest of my games that I don't need immediate access too.

So it got me thinking - they changed development teams for Fusion, right? Studio Leeds instead of Psygnosis? And They used someone else instead of The Designers Republic (www.thedesignersrepublic.com, I love them). Those two changes were a serious mistake that took the game to a direction that I really didnt want to see it go - which is more like Star Wars Pod Racer - not to offend Star Wars fans, but pod racer was complete and utter shit, and Fusion, though better than pod racer, had far too much in common with it than it's predecessors (I can't spell). Even the soundtrack was mucked up for Fusion. I might as well have been playing SSX with those tunes, all the previous games had done a good job with the soundtrack, from the music done by Cold Storage for the first game and for XL, as well as the real artist songs used in XL and then the masterpiece that is Sasha's selection in 3. Even the music in Wipeout 64, which is an excellent update to XL, was pretty damn good.

So, I'm really excited for Wipeout Pure, but I hope that it goes back to Wipeout roots, b/c that's the whole reason I'm even considering a PSP. Does anyone know who is involved with making this game... I'm interested in your thoughts on what I have said and your expectations for PURE.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Designer's Republic only did the original and XL/2049, if I recall correctly. The programming team responsible for the original three Wipeout games was hired on by Microsoft, where they produced the fun but lacking Quantum Redshift. Wipeout Fusion was done by a totally new team.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fahrvergnugen
    The Designer's Republic only did the original and XL/2049, if I recall correctly. The programming team responsible for the original three Wipeout games was hired on by Microsoft, where they produced the fun but lacking Quantum Redshift. Wipeout Fusion was done by a totally new team.
    No, TDR was very involved with Wipeout 3. The style is distinctly theirs. The DR Angryman (which is my avatar) is a property of TDR, and it's all over Wipeout 3 as well as a few lesser known TDR properties. They did that one no doubt.

Whoever did the design as far as the style is concerned for fusion really fell off the wagon I think.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm bumping this back up because the PSP launch is very soon and Wipeout Pure is a launch game.

From the UK & Japanes Official teaser sites for WipEout Pure, it sure looks like the designers republic is involved again - but can anyone confirm this?

Here are the teaser site's if anyone is interested:
    http://www.wipeoutpure.com/ (UK)
    http://www.playstation.jp/scej/title/wipeout/ (Japan)

Has anyone play tested the game yet? Any of your board member/industry insiders.

This game will be the reason that I buy a PSP, with all of the talk about downloadable music tracks, racing tracks and game skins. Sounds incredible. BUT if it plays anything like FUSION then I'm going to throw my PSP under the subway.

Has anyone played it? Is it back to the Roots? (XL/ WO3 style)