Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DP: TOP 50 Worst Games: RENEGADE - WHY!?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default DP: TOP 50 Worst Games: RENEGADE - WHY!?

Target: Renegade, Taito for NES
    If standing knee-deep in quicksand while thugs pummel the living daylights out of you is your idea of fun, then you’ll surely love this game. If that’s NOT your idea of fun, don’t bother plugging this cart into your NES. An insult to the Renegade franchise. - Dave G
    What the hell is wrong with me...am I the only person on the planet who likes that go!? Wherever I go - ppl alwaaaaays hate it.

WELL I LIKE IT - AND I DONT GIVE A SHIT
    ------------------------------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: DP: TOP 50 Worst Games: RENEGADE - WHY!?

Ha ha! I think I mentioned earlier this week that Renegade was one of the very FIRST games I MAME'd. After all, it has a cool title, right? You might mistake it for a certain game called Rampage, which I almost just did, too.

The arcade version's bad enough, really.

So, upon seeing this topic, I got ahold of my, ahem, copy, loaded it up for a looksee.

Well, this can't be the same game! Looks like River City Ransom, though your hero looks more like a zero.

Yet...why's he kicking the wrong way? Huh? Well, there you have it. Within five-ten seconds I was off that ledge to the right. GET LOST, PUNK!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Heed the words handed down by Dave G, he knows of what he speaks.

All hail Dave G.

Amen.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Huh? Well, there you have it. Within five-ten seconds I was off that ledge to the right. GET LOST, PUNK! "
    Just cuz u don't know how to play the game does not mean it is a bad game

does bad = hard

and

good = easy

I played it for soooome time ...and I have no trouble with controls -> the list of moves for NES is awesome ....and GFX are not bad (for nes) either. SO WTF!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, it would help if he consistently kicked in the same direction!

I'll give it this, though - looks like it handles better (otherwise) than most of those trashy Double Dragon games (most - trashy - some aren't!)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And amazingly enough, they released this game for the Sega Master System in 1993 with a graphic face-lift for some unknown reason.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think people here are confusing Renegade -- the Technos-developed arcade/NES/SMS precursor to the Kunio/River City Ransom series -- with Target: Renegade. They're two totally different games.

Both are pretty bad, if you ask me. But at least the original Renegade can be given credit for being the first true modern beat-em-up.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Target: Renegade, Taito for NES
    If standing knee-deep in quicksand while thugs pummel the living daylights out of you is your idea of fun, then you’ll surely love this game. If that’s NOT your idea of fun, don’t bother plugging this cart into your NES. An insult to the Renegade franchise. - Dave G
    What the hell is wrong with me...am I the only person on the planet who likes that go!? Wherever I go - ppl alwaaaaays hate it.

WELL I LIKE IT - AND I DONT GIVE A SHIT
    Whew! Okay... You missed a few salient things here.

First point - The mini review that you quoted here is of the game "TARGET: RENEGADE," not "RENEGADE." They're two completely different games. On the 1-10 scale (1 being worst, 10 best), Target: Renegade scores a "sucks really, really bad" rating.

Second point - I actually LIKE Renegade (the arcade game) quite a bit. Went out and bought the boards for a JAMMA cab about ten years ago and everything. Mastered the game, still play it to this day. Still use the phrases "givin' up already?" and "get lost, PUNK!" to this day as well.

Last point - the NES version of Renegade is extraordinarily weak. It's one of those games I categorize as "in name only." If it was called something else, I wouldn't dislike it as much, but as a port of the coin-op, which is what the game was billed as, it fails miserably.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics
    Second point - I actually LIKE Renegade (the arcade game) quite a bit. Went out and bought the boards for a JAMMA cab about ten years ago and everything. Mastered the game, still play it to this day. Still use the phrases "givin' up already?" and "get lost, PUNK!" to this day as well.

Last point - the NES version of Renegade is extraordinarily weak. It's one of those games I categorize as "in name only." If it was called something else, I wouldn't dislike it as much, but as a port of the coin-op, which is what the game was billed as, it fails miserably.
    I've actually never played the arcade version of Renegade. The NES one is definitely weak sauce. Does the arcade one have the annoyingly arbitrary "choose a door" bit at the end?

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slownerveaction
    I've actually never played the arcade version of Renegade. The NES one is definitely weak sauce. Does the arcade one have the annoyingly arbitrary "choose a door" bit at the end?
    Nope, that was tacked-on, home-version only BS. It's funny - you know they added it because some Suit said to put it in to drag out the gameplay time, but it only makes the game suck. The coin-op does the "start over from the beginning" loop thing that is (at least to me) much more enjoyable.

The end is much like the end of Double Dragon (arcade version). The evil final boss shows up with his henchmen (who brandish straight razors). And the evil boss has a gun.

But it's definitely tougher than Double Dragon. Excellent game.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default d

Target Renegade is a piece of shit.

Renegade has those wierd reverse controls ala Double Dragon II....I always liked the NES version. I used to have it as a kid. Some of those boss dudes were a real bitch! Especially that big tall fat ass mama who beats you wlike a rag doll. Getting stuck ina room with a couple of them is practically a death sentence...

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Renegade was one of the very first titles I bought for my Sega Master System!

..And one of the least played x_x

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Renegade was pretty fun in the arcade once you got used to the controls... the home version was okay but I think they censored it and the "doors" at the end are dumb.

Target Renegage is a pile of crap. I seem to recall taking a sledgehammer to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Aww Man This is why I love DP!!!!
    I love the Nes Version and still play it to this day. Now I have never played the arcade version, so I am licking my chops to try when I get home. IF not for DP I would have never given the arcade version a try.

P.S. The same thing happened last week when somebody listed the first 50 Playstation releases, I saw ESPN extreme on the list went home called my brother over and we played about 2 hours worth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    does bad = hard

and

good = easy

I played it for soooome time ...and I have no trouble with controls -> the list of moves for NES is awesome ....and GFX are not bad (for nes) either. SO WTF!?
    Alright, alright! Don't worry, I never abandon a game when I've first tried it out. I'll play through it some more when I've got time. So far it seems a bit on the weak side - but I don't see many NES BEUs that aren't - but not horrible, i.e. Double Dragon II/Genesis...

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't played the NES Renegade in a while, but I always liked the game. Not as good as the other Technos beat-em-ups (all the Double Dragons, RCR) or a game like Mighty Final Fight, but a passable game. I never beat it, due to the goddamn doors in the last level. I could never figure that part out.

I never played the arcade version.
    "Everything that you've ever done, are doing now, or will ever do is a complete waste of time unless it directly involves Randy 'Macho Man' Savage." - random Amazon.com review

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I must be the only person on the planet who thought Target:Renegade was awesome. The controls are a little...er...different, but it's still fun, and it looks really good, too. But whatever...I thought Shenmue was incredible and everybody seems to hate that too.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: d

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    Target Renegade is a piece of shit.

Renegade has those wierd reverse controls ala Double Dragon II....I always liked the NES version. I used to have it as a kid. Some of those boss dudes were a real bitch! Especially that big tall fat ass mama who beats you wlike a rag doll. Getting stuck ina room with a couple of them is practically a death sentence...

-Rob
    Amen - same story here. I had this game as a kid - and I still love it. It was a bitch at first (to learn) ...but once u get the feeling for it (1 hour ...i'd say) it becomes fun.

And yea....that asian fat ass bioch is sooo not good...but there is a strategy for it -> 3 jump kicks....run....3 jump kicks...run - then when she is weak use grab combos to finish the deal....and make sure u dont run too much cuz if there is 2 of them u might run out of time.

As for doors - it kinda sux - but in the end I like it. Cuz I like to go different ways to find new rooms and new challenges. Like recently I found a room with 3 bosses at the same time...Craz-ey! BUT FUN!

Guys who say this game sux because it is challenging are PANZIES! Go play Elmo's world!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics
    Nope, that was tacked-on, home-version only BS. It's funny - you know they added it because some Suit said to put it in to drag out the gameplay time, but it only makes the game suck. The coin-op does the "start over from the beginning" loop thing that is (at least to me) much more enjoyable.

The end is much like the end of Double Dragon (arcade version). The evil final boss shows up with his henchmen (who brandish straight razors). And the evil boss has a gun.

But it's definitely tougher than Double Dragon. Excellent game.
    Thanks for the info! "No doors" = instant major improvement!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

again I dont think "doors" are all that bad. No matter how u think of it in the end it adds more re-play value...cuz there is so many frikin doors u never know - u mite just find another room.

But I guess thats a kinda "hardcore gamer" way of putting it. For those of u who just think of beating the game and getting it back on ur shelf ...thats a different story.