View Poll Results: Which of these is your favorite "modern" game system?

Voters
252. You may not vote on this poll
  • PlayStation

22 8.73%
  • Dreamcast

76 30.16%
  • PS2

43 17.06%
  • Xbox

33 13.10%
  • Game Cube

54 21.43%
  • Game Boy Advance

14 5.56%
  • PC/Mac

10 3.97%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which of these "modern" consoles is your favorite?

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

If there's one machine you are guarenteed to get a quantity of AAA titles with, it's the Gamecube. Sure, it doesn't (and isn't going to) have 100s of releases like the PS2, but most of them are crap and most people are never going to buy more than say 10-15 per year, if that.

Runnerup would be the DC simply for its ratio of good to bad...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorite mordern system is the ps1..lots of games...lots of fun.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Playstation2 is one solid unit~ the ability to attach other 3rd party
    equipment to it just adds that much "more appeal" for me. Just one
    amazing game machine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got to admit, I'm surprised to see the Dreamcast leading this poll. Don't get me wrong, I like the system a lot but I chose the PS1. There are tons of great games across all genres.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I vote Xbox cause uh...Xbox owns!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Without a doubt its the Dreamcast!I still play Crazy Taxi on a regular basis and when you combine the DC with a VGA Box you have a dead system that throws out graphics that rival and in some cases outdoes the PS2 and X-Box,even Sega Marine Fishing is a classic in high res glory.Just compare Crazy Taxi to Crazy Taxi High Roller and I think that the DC wins in looks and lack of slowdown that the X-Box has with this game.Yes I do own an X-Box and love it but its strengths are yet to be tapped,or I hope they are and it does not go the way of the DC.Is X-Box Live!Hype or Hope?

Take Care
    Charles Jordan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tough choice but I went with the PS2. I just love GT3! I still keep my DC hooked up though for those "special times" with DOA2.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I vote for the Dreamcast it helped me get back into video games. I had a PSX but do not use it that much.

It has a great selection of games and most of them are under $20.

Plus Sega has always been my fav. The Genesis ruled. And still does.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the PS2!!!!!! 8) :lol:
    I've had a Playstation forever, and the backwards compatibility thing is great. Plus it's the only one I own.

I hate to admit it, but the Gamecube and the GBA are lookin pretty sweet. Ima have to pick one up sometime soon. :wink:

-=Mr. NEStalgia=-

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default tough one...

but i had to go with the ps/ps2. i collect a lot of imports, and the variety of oddball japanese stuff along with some choice u.s. titles on the ps makes me look for more games all the time. thanks to system overlap, there's a LOT of stuff i don't even want on the dc (better graphics be dammed), so my dc collection is fairly small (about 70 games)- i'd rate the saturn over the dc (again, imports), and the cube slightly over the xbox (animal crossing and both super monkey ball games pushed me into getting a system)- although the gc currently has a higher percentage of worthless stuff (dc/ps2 ports, smashing drive, too many sports games, that AWFUL universal studios game) over truly GREAT games (for now)... :wink:

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I put in my vote for the GBA because that is the one I play most. The "modern" games are certainly fun to play, look cool, and innovative, but other than sports titles, I never bother buying games for them. I had a PSX and a PS2 but I never played them. I am seriously considering a buying a Gamecube though with all of the excellent new releases coming out (Zelda, Metroid Prime, Animal Crossing).
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

XBOX!!!

BHvrd put it perfectly.

And I'm gonna put it my own way:

With XBox, you're not just playing a game... you're in the game.
    Yeah, that's right... WORD!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Modern console

My vote: GBA. I don't "love" the GBA, i just dislike it less than the others. Of the others on the poll, I only own a PS1 and DC (both packed away for a long time now). I don not like games on discs, plain and simple. Also, yes 3D does suck, in almost every single instance. In addition, FMV crap has always sucked (3DO and Sega CD anyone?). My GBA (please note, also backward compatible) with the addition of the TV de Advance, is pretty nice, as well as visible, and in stereo. Next in line for me would be DC, as PSX is pretty much garbage IMO. BUt even my DC did not get much play time, and as I mentioned is now packed away. My Genesis and Master System are still hooked to the TV however.

-deadtech

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PC/Mac : NO WAY! Half the games don't run right, or if they do run, they run slow. It's too much hassle trying to figure out the right combination of video/audio drivers. I wish there was a "gaming PC" like the old-style C=64 or Amiga 500 with set audio/video standards.

PS2: Because although it's not as technologically advanced as the X-box, it's extremely popular and as a result, the PS2 has the widest selection of games! The PS2 is today what the Atari was in 1980 and Nintendo in 1990... THE system to own.

Post-Script: Wide selection of games is the same reason I still play the 20-yr-old C=64: It's primitive but has over 5000 games to choose from! I could probably play for the rest of my life and never see them all.
    TROY'S GAMING HISTORY
    1977- Atari 2600 (primitive)
    1985- Commodore=128 (8-bit)
    1989- Amiga 500 (16-bit)
    1991- zzzzzzzzzzz :scatter:
    2002- Playstation 2 (128-bit)

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

It was a tough decision for me. Mostly because it depends on what I'm playing at the time and what future games I'm most excited about.

I voted Gamecube.

Dreamcast didn't even get considered. To me it's not modern anymore. It's dead. And I know it's well loved, but it just doesn't do it for me. I mention it only because it is Sega's newest machine and it still quailifies as being current generation. Rank: 4th

Xbox is still really new to me, and I've got only Halo so far. But it's got 3 games I'm looking to get (Outlaw Golf, Morrowind, Gotham Racing). I'm enjoying it but it's not enough to put it #1. Rank: 3rd.

PS2 was my previous favourite. I've got a good selection of games (18 and counting). Recent purchases still catch my fancy (FFX, SSX Tricky). And I've had it the longest. But there's nothing I'm really excited about. Rank: 2nd

I do love my Game Boy Advance, but I personally think of it seperately from the consoles. It gets lots of action though. But I never really look forward to future releases like I do for the others. Rank: n/a

And then there's Gamecube. I own only six games but every one of them has had been very enjoyable. Eternal Darkness has been an absolute blast. Super Monkey Ball passes my previously mentioned Guest Test. Plus it's got the biggest list of games I want now/will want upon release. Pikmin. Animal Crossing. Starfox Adventures. Metroid. Zelda. Super Monkey Ball 2. Rank: #1

PSX doesn't qualify to me. Not being current generation means not being moden IMO. And PC/Mac gaming doesn't qualify at all. It's it's own beast (even more seperated from the big 3 than the GBA).
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Dreamcast. In addition to both Sonic Adventures, Virtua Tennis, House of the Dead 2 (yeah, Arcade Antics! John Woo style! Both guns! BOTH GUNS!!!), Typing of the Dead, Mr. Driller, SoulCalibur, DOA2, Mars Matrix, and Super Puzzle Fighter 2X...well...I'm a 2D fighting game fan. That means: Capcom Vs. SNK 2, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, SF3: 3rd Strike, KoF '98, KoF '99, Garou, Super SF2 Turbo, and Guilty Gear X. Woo!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey im new here ,i stumbled upon this site and i think its great!!My pick is the PS2,you got great games like vice city,smackdown:sym,madden plus all the PS1 games you can play on your PS2 system.I've had them all but the Xbox.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Dreamcast is the best because it took chances with Shenmue, Seaman, Chu-Chu Rocket, among others. Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2 defied RPG fans' expectations. It brought shooters back with fun games like Mars Matrix and the Gigawings.

Also, because the system had a Naomi board, games like Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi, Daytona, NBA Showtime, and the various versions of Street Fighter showed that the DC was the closest thing to a real arcade experience that I had ever seen on a home system.

For these reasons, I'm still not sorry I traded in my N64 for my first one (I got another N64 anyway.)

In 2002, GameNow Magazine compared it to the Turbografx-16 in terms of it someday becoming the system that hard-core gamers will still love playing. I think they're right. Therefore, its soul still burns...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a fan of the PS2 just casue it was the natural progression for me and the fact that I can play my PS1 games on it always helps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default A hard one to vote for.......

First of all, my hats off to two great systems....The Sega Dreamcast and the Nintendo Gamecube. I love both of them dearly, but they did not get my vote. The dreamcast is a great system, but its..............dead. No more games(at least until someone starts homebrewing). The cube is loved by me, for I feel it is really trying to make quality games. I just think(and I hate admitting to this) the PS2 is making the most diverse library(even for us retrogamers) that can make everyone happy. I hate their business practices, but the PS2 is played the most by me hands down(Activision Anthology mostly!)