Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS2 VS XBOX DVD Player

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS2 VS XBOX DVD Player

Well, I've started in the DVD collecting scene, and I have both an XBOX and PS2. I don't have a regular DVD player for myself, so they're the next best thing. I was going to buy a remote for the PS2, when I found out it wouldn't play one of my DVDs. So I wondered if I should buy the remote for the XBOX instead?

So waht's your opinion? Do you prefer the XBOX or PS2 DVD Player?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

I have both as well. So far I enjoy the x-box more for the DVD player aspect because of some of the options it offers. I dont have the remote for the PS2 but cant imagine it offeres any special options not available to the controler. Both play DVDs good enough though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

My honest opinion is that I'd pick up a $30 Apex player and wear it out instead of wearing out either my PS2 or my Xbox.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

xbox is definately the best.. if you chip it you can load software on for a "Region Free DVD Player!" easily wins with that option!

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had a couple of DVDs that wouldn't play on the PS2. So far everything has worked on the X-Box although there is at least one DVD I can think of that has an annoying flicker between some of the cuts during the movie. There might be some new drivers for the PS2 that make it more compatible, but I'm not sure. I'm still using the drivers that came with the official remote back when it launched.

The X-Box has a couple of extra features the PS2 doesn't and I find it infinitely easier to use. The official PS2 remote is too complicated for its own good. While the X-Box's looks a little dorky, it is much more functional (trying working the PS2 remote in the dark, go on--I dare ya!)

And perhaps this is silly reason, but the X-Box loads up faster.

So it appears that I prefer the X-Box, and I do. It's not that it is inifinitely better than the PS2, frankly they're about the same. But the X-Box gets the nod for being someone easier to use and slightly better compatibility. For the record, I have a couple of DVDs that are on IGN's incompatibility list for both systems, and neither has ever given me a problem.

One final note--If you decide to use the PS2, remember to go into the system settings and increase the audio level (to 2, isn't it?) Otherwise you'll have to crank your TV up to maximum volume just to hear the bloody thing.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright, thanks guys. Looks like I'll be getting an XBOX DVD remote.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by wufner
    One final note--If you decide to use the PS2, remember to go into the system settings and increase the audio level (to 2, isn't it?) Otherwise you'll have to crank your TV up to maximum volume just to hear the bloody thing.
    How in the world do you do that???

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also have both and i'd say the Xbox is better, i have it modded as well for region free and have had no problems at all..

My Ps2 DVD has had a few problems, wouldn't play some of old or new titles, and sometimes the image seems to weaken?!

But i try to stick to using my Philips DVD, since thats what the hell i got it for

..XS

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba
    How in the world do you do that???

Chris
    Good question! And because I'm so very helpfu, I don't remember the answer. As I recall it was buried somewhere within the PS2 settings options (you choose one of the main options and it leads you to a menu of new options, of which one of those leads you to another menu of options--something like that.) I ended having to use the owners guide in order to find it.

There's no way I'll remember how to do it sitting here at work. If I get a chance tonight at home, I'll putz around with it and see if I can find exactly how to get there.

Otherwise I'm sure someone here knows how to do it and can post it before I ever get home.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Xbox DVD playback is much smoother then PS2 I thought
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe to increase the PS2 volume, you have to press the Select button while a DVD movie is playing. That brings up the menu and I believe it's hidden deep in there somewhere. Just highlight all the different icons to see what they are and you should be able to figure it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GimmeSomeReggae

I always wondered about this!

Thanks!

-A Boy
    Hmph.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

I've always heard the Xbox isn't progressive scan? I don't know, since I use my Zenith player to play DVDs. Of course, that's almost a non-issue. If you have a Hi-Def TV and don't have a standalone DVD player then something's wrong...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the Xbox DVD remote, and playback seems fine, so even though you have to pay for it I'd have to recommend the Xbox.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hey !! just go out and buy a cheap( as low as 19.99 new) dvd player( most cheap one 's don't have regional codings so you can watch all dvd's)(if you don't mind it take up space), cause ps2 remote sucks /the xbox remote cost too much unless you get one used !!!!
    GOOD SELLER'S: lone_monster, *BUYER"S**FantasiaWHT , The_Chosen_One, max 330 mega, DDCecil, video_game_addict, optic_85, **underexposed+ **, Querjek, buffquinn, Crush Crawfish, The Collector, pseudonym, bobdrywalls , charitycasegreg, y-bot, Captain Yashiro, ** Lady Jaye**,, buttasuperb

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The wife went to be early today, so I didn't get a chance to check out the settings. But because I am so filled with love and the spirit of giving for y'all, I have done something I am loathe to do . . . I've dusted off the manual and READ it. Here's the deal.

All right, it sounds like you have to go into the DVD options, not the normal system options. To do this press "select" button to bring up the control panel. I don't recall what you press on the remote, but I assume there's a control panel button on there somewhere (god knows there are enough buttons on it, it's bound to be one of them.)

From the control panel select the "setup" option. This is represented by a silly little icon that looks like a suitcase with a line and two dots on it.

----

OK, don't say I never did anything for ya (even tho this isnt' much) I just went and woke up my wife to check out the menu sytem. It makes more sense now.

First off, Lord007 is quite right. In order to bring the setup menu up, you must have a DVD in the system. Press "select" on a controller or "display" on the official PS2 remote.

The setup option is in the second row, third icon from the right. This brings up four more icons. Select the 4th one, "audio setup."

Once selected, you'll have a series options you can set. You want the bottom most option, "DVD Volume." Default selection is "Standard." Change that to "2+".

There ya go, now you can actually HEAR those DVDs you've been playing on yer PS2.

For crappy Sony directions, checkout page 17 and 20 of your owners manual. (No serisouly, I really do like my PS2, I just can't stand the system's interface.)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got my PS2 before DVD players were cheap, so it only made sense for me to use it as my DVD player. But now everyone knows NEVER to use it for playing them. EVER! They destroy it! It's definitely the best idea to get a cheap DVD player and NEVER use the PS2 with DVD movies. Sigh... Sony sure ticked me off when my first PS2 died. Fortunately I got it replaced at the service center.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought my Xbox at least partially to play DVDs with. I would recommend the Xbox as long as you have the Samsung or Phillips drives. I bought mine with a Samsung one on it because my NUON stopped playing a ton of my DVD collection (Lord of the Rigns Extended Versions didn't work!!!) My Xbox plays them all just fine.

My friend got an Xbox about three weeks after mine. Same reason -- dying DVD player, good reason to get a console. He got a Thompson drive. He can't get about 25% of his DVD collection to work in it.

Personally, I don't think there is as much of a difference about the drives that is made... except for this. So my answer is go with the Xbox if you have a good drive. Or stick with the PS2 otherwise
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Xbox console features nicer DVD playback (more options like zooming in/out), but having to pay for a remote despite the fact that the system is capable of playing DVD movies without one is a rip-off. However, I'd find another device to use for DVD playback, especially if your Xbox came with a Thompson drive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i just did what flack said, i went and got a nice, cheap apex. apex dvd players rock. i paid 50 for mine at least 4 years ago and have yet to have a problem with it