Thread: Great Gaming Stories

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Great Gaming Stories

One of my favorite gaming memories comes from the summer my buddy and I spent playing Bard's Tale. It was the summer of '86, and my friend and I were *all* Commodore. Somehow, my friend and I had talked our parents into spending "the weekend" with each other instead of just one night. For the most part, we spent those weekends playing Bard's Tale.

My friend's mom would often leave us alone and leave us blank checks for lunch and/or dinner. With those checks we would order pizza to be delivered. With our pizza, a 2 liter of Dr. Pepper bottle for each of us, a bag of Cheetos and a pad of graph paper, we systematically set out to beat Bard's Tale. I can't remember if we ever did finally beat the game, but we spent the entire summer trying and having a blast doing so.

One of my favorite parts of that story is how we would play. We would play as a team until around midnight or so, when I would go to bed. I would wake up around 6am or so, and my friend would still be playing. Then we would trade off -- I would take over and he would go to sleep for five or six hours. We continued this for the entire weekend, or until the Commodore overheated.

What are some of you favorite gaming memories? Tell us a great gaming story that puts us there with you in your retro gaming memories!

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My 17th Birthday...I had just recieved Saturn Bomberman with extra controllers and a multi-tap...and of course, 7 buddies of mine from High School who attended my party.

Here we are...gathered together in this tiny huddle like a camp fire, cheering, shouting, screaming, and cussing out the big battle royale that is EIGHT PLAYER BOMBERMAN!

The horror of this, the CPU was player number 8...we set him on "level 3" AI...little did we know...that 3 is the max...the EVIL Black Bomberman mowed us all down one by one....in awe and shock we watched as this smart lil CPU character humilated 7 HUMAN controlled opponents...the war raged on for 4 hours....loosing to at least 27 battles (3 wins finishes each match)...and he damn near won them all!

A vote was put, if we should stop using the CPU character and just let us seven have fun...but the vote was overruled by letting him stay....which was a horrible mistake...

Never in my life, a party game like this could end in a
    "Bomberman Massacre 97'" by the hands of a single tiny little bomberman!

Yet Manto the Bear, played by one of my close buddies...broke the record....stopped the black bomberman and his terror by triumphly killing his winning streak, by a simple mistake, which we still call the "Scooby Doo mess up"

He ran to the corner, stopped and the bomberman was right on his ass...Manto the Bear ran into the opposite direction like Scooby Doo, while trapping him with a line of bombs...and QUICKLY did a sharp turn around the corner...just BARELY dodging the flames from the bombs...and all that laid...was Manto standing proudly...
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a similar story, but in my case it was MegaMan 2. Our partnership was a bit different as well. I was always better at actually playing games, while he was a better strategist. So, he spent a week or sorting through his game magazines, looking for anything to do with Mega Man 2. He cut it all out, pasted it onto some stiff paper, three whole punched it, and assembled a homemade strategy guide.

Then, we sat down in front of the TV, me at the controls, he with guide in hand. We'd switch off occasionally, just for a change, but this was the basic set-up. We played the hell out of that game. It must have been a sight. Occasionally I'd get angry because I couldn't get past something, so I'd yell at him to find out how. He'd get pissed at me as he rifled through the guide. Because the guide was cobbled together, there were bits of info spread throughout. It took some time to find what you were looking for.

Eventually, though, we made it through. That's probably my favorite gaming memory. My parents have a funny story of me sneaking downstairs, early in the mornign to play Donkey Kong on the 2600. They'd lay in bed listening to the sound effects. After they heard the death noise, they'd hear me throwing myself around the living room, having a tantrum. After a minute of this, they'd hear the game start back up again. Hey, I still play that way!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know how many of you have actually beaten rampage but one weekend my dad and I sat down to do just that. It took hours of mind numbing fun and a few slipped curse words from my dad before we beat the last stage.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This would have been my Lore story if it allowed 2600. I typed it out and had it ready until I realized it would be against the rules.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In the 2 11/12 years between my brothers birth and me getting my Genesis, me and my dad had out first real bonding time. Anyday that A) My mom was at work B) My dad was off from work C) Not really a factor, but a list must consist of 3 things. Also, I'm insane.

Anyway, most days of it being "just the guys" went like this: After a small breakfast at the table ( a practice that stopped with school starting, which could be why I resented it so much, it took away dad time.) We got dressed for the day. After putting my brother in his play-pen, me and dad went to his room to play. He always had that Atari right next to the tv, with games and other assorted boxes, papers, wires, controllers, etc in a large flat box under the bed. The first game we ALWAYS played was Defender. It became this great tradition that always stood out to this day. Anytime we take the whole thing out of the closet, I still pop in Defender, almost out of habit.

For about the next half-hour, we would just sit there playing. Weither it was trying to figure out how to get that damn "y-shaped thingy" into the "box-thingy" in Human-cannonball, or wondering how Kangaroo can be so hard with music so inviting (I broke my first controller this way), my love for being able to control what was on that screen was apparant.

In my early years, wanting control was always a part of me. I rarely didn't pick my own clothing, and was always that kid at pre-school who asked why and didn't want to do what I was told. I pissed off teachers with this, then wondered why I was disliked. Typing this now I see my stupidiy. Video Games did this to me. They toyed with my mind at an early age.

Wow, revalation time.

Anyway, After that half our, my dad would go and order Pizza Hut. Every other time we got the pizza delivered, we got a little coupon for a free Pepsi with a little wizard on it. Oh do I wish I could see that little coupon again. After we ate, my dad would either leave for work, and leave us with out babysitter of the week (mostly grandma), or just stay home and sleep. I'd continue to play a bit, then i'd let my brother play a bit of Combat with me. Maybe a little Frog and Flies. Soon i'd realize he'd have little idea what was going on. We;d then just watch tv with grandma until Mom came home later. We usually never played after it went dark out.

This great little spot in history came to a close a dew days before christmas of '93. My dad had actually let me in his room late at night. We continued to play that Atari for around 2 hours. This was where he told me that I was allowed to come into his room later at night to play Atari. With glee, I went to bed. Few days later, I got a Genesis.

I never really thought of the Genesis being a better system. Even thought my dad had told me that. He also mentioned how the Genesis was like an arcade that you didn't need to pay quarters for everytime you lost.

Still I would pull out that Atari from time-to-time. That old huge brown six switcher became somewhat of a leaning buddy whenever my brother would be playing Genesis. Unfortunatly, I basicly killed the system one day. After a round of Space Invaders that would make certain experts proud (I wish I could play like that now), I retardedly ripped out the game with out turning it off. I then left the system on overnight, with out a game. Next day, I learned that the damn thing fried. I killed it! I was crying on my dads bed, apologizing my head off. He said it was ok, but I couldn't take it.

I demanded that me and my mom go and find a new Atari as soon as we could. A few days later, we found a nice small garage sale in Brooklyn (it's its own city! Not a neighbothood!). Some lady with kids around my age wanted to sell there old Atari. They had just gotten a SNES (Ha! Fools! I had Sonic waiting at home, but they just had Mario! Stupid 5 year old mentality). I convinced my mom that the smaller Atari Jr. was the same system when I showed her how the Popeye cart looked just like my old Frogger cart. We quickly grabbed it up ($8, I still remember) and went home. That was a pleasent wait for my dad to come home from work at midnight.

He was happy to see it, but I know how much he loved playing that original big, brown one. We set the new guy up on the enclosed porch, which was freezing. I didn't care, I had just gotten Solaris from Big Lots, and fell in love with it. I got more than one cold by playing that game for far too long.

Now, 10 years have passed. At the moment, it's locked away in some storage closet. I should go play it now. Infact, I thionk I will....

Bye.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

What about the rest of you? What are some of your classic stories that keep that flame for classic games alive?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default e

Hey folks, sorry for the slight brag fest here, but it's just a story, and one that I think is pretty cool. Really, I'm awesome, er, I mean, modest!

I was in eighth (maybe 7th) grade when Castlevania 3 came out for NES. I remember playing it the day it came out in the local game rental store (a Friday). A friend of mine, Jay, walked in while I was playing level one and was clearly impressed with how well I was doing (whatever, I know). I really didn't think it was a big deal, since the play control was the same as all the other NES Castlevania games, I explained to him.

I usually beat most NES games I rented within two days, usually one, three at the most, even for RPGs. I told him I was renting it and would probably beat it this weekend. He didn't believe me...he said there was no possible way. I told him I would bring a videotape to school to prove it. I was pretty well known back then around the area for being good at games (strangers and shit used to call me for tips....weird. I remember helping some people through games I had never played...over the phone just using their descriptions of what they were doing...I thought it was pretty hilarious!). I think Jay was testing me to see if it was true or if I was just all talk.

So there I am Sunday afternoon trying to beat Dracula. I had been at him for 3 hours or so and he was really frustrating the hell out of me. In retrospect, I don't really see what was so hard about him, since he really is rather easy now, but this was especially true since Grant Danasty was my other character. Another friend, Bill, kept calling me to hang out at his place. I think he was moving to Oregon or Germany or something in the next few days, so I really had to get over there. I felt really badly because I kept putting him off every half hour he called....but I had a bet to win, not that there was a prize or anything...I just had to do it...my eighth great manliness factor had been questioned!

I finally beat that sumbitch, all three forms after somewhere between 3 and 5 hours, got it on tape, and headed over to Bill's to hang out. The next day, I handed the tape to Jay and he spoke to me the day after that, saying he couldn't believe it. He may have joked about me cheating, but there were no codes out for it at the time...it was too new of a game...not that I would have if I could have.

Jay didn't have the best habit of returning things that were borrowed, and I remember being pretty pissed about that. I did finally get the tape back some time later. It had a crapload of other game endings on it. I was pretty upset to find that the very first thing on the tape, me going through all of Batman for NES on one life (one of only 2 times I had ever done it at that point...I think later on I did it one more time) had the first two levels erased...just blacked out. Shit...now I couldn't prove THAT conquest. However, you do see me kill the second boss and go through the rest of the game...no huge loss, but whatever....it still woulda rocked to have the whole thing. I knew I'd probably never be able to get that on tape again...not without a lot of luck. I was really good at the game, but that was something I sort of attributed skill AND being a fluke. I should really go and try to do that again!

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

I've got two short stories, both involving Super Mario Bros. 3.

I had gotten Super Mario 3 for Easter, and I'd spent a good six months playing that game, learning new secrets (like pushing down on the white blocks) and finding weird new power-ups (I still remember freaking out when I found the Hammer Bro. suit) and figuring out how to skip ahead (the damn auto-scrolling water level in World 7 is STILL my nemisis, thank God for Lakitu's Cloud). But I had yet to defeat Bowser. I'd get almost to his castle, then run out of lives and have to start the damn world over again.
    One night, I was actually playing rather well and I finally reached his castle. I can remember shouting "NO WAY!!!" when that first Bowser statue fried me, robbing me off my hard fought Tanooki Suit. I was enthralled by the gigantic lava pool and the door maze in the middle of the castle. And I found old school delights in the final chamber as I dodged fireballs as I leaped from platform to platform.
    Finally, I reached him. Bowser. His kids were a walk in the park compared to him. He wasted no time, hurling a fireball at me, then jumping straight into the air, crushing Mario. It was a hard battle. More than once I accidentally fell into the pit, throwing me all the way back to the beginning. But I kept it up, each time getting a bit better. Finally, Bowser leaped into the trap I had set, and he plummeted down the pit. Then there was silence, then a pleasing "THUMP" meaning Bowser had hit the bottom! The locked door opened up, but I was too busy screaming and hollering "I DID IT!!! I DID IT!!!!!" Hey, I was 10, and this was the first video game I had EVER beaten. Hands trembling, I carefully jumped over the hole in the blocks and went into the door. And there was the Princess. I hollered some more as she delivered that cheezy "I'm sorry, our princess is in another castle! Ha ha, just kidding! Bye bye." line that was sorely missed in last year's GBA remake. At this point, my family had come in to see what I was hollering about, and they congratulated me, then went back to whatever they were doing. But I stayed and watched the end credits, as each world I had conquered flashed by. I must have stared at that red curtain and the words "The End" for at least ten minutes, before finally pressing start. And the rumor I had heard was true, I started the game over with 28 P-Wings! Woot!

Okay, my other story is much shorter. A year or so later I was playing Mario 3 at a cousin's house and I was trying to show him the ending. My sister and said cousin were tossing a nerf ball around. I had just gotten to the airship level in World 8, when my sister tossed the ball to my cousin. He missed the ball, and where do you think it went? No, no the priceless vase, nor the window. It went straight for the reset button on the NES! Plunk! The screen went black for a second, then we were greeted by the red curtain raising up on the title screen. We all sat stunned for a few seconds, then we all burst out laughing.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me it was Pirates! on the C64. I was great at the fencing, and my best friend was great at the sea combat. He's weaken the ship, then hand it over to me to fence the captain into submission. We grabbed tons for treasures, ran the governors out of most of the French towns, and retired with more money than we could count countless times. We used the map so m,any times the corners where it folded turned into holes from wear and we had it laminated. Damn that was a fun game... I hope the remake due in November doesn't screw it up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember when the Dreamcast first came out. I wanted one so bad. I told my parents that if they didn't get it the day it came out, I would never forgive them. My B-Day is October 8th, so I had to wait an entire month to get my DC. It was absolute torture. My B-Day came and I opened it up and was in heaven. I got so excited about knowing i was getting a dc that I went out and bought Trickstyle even before I got my DC.

Since I had my DC and 1 game and a demo disk, I had to get more games.
    I know there are others that have done this, come back to memory lane and remember doing this with me please:

since my b-day is a few months away from x-mas, my parents told me to not buy any games at all. you guys all know that i didn't listen. i remember having my friend's parents pick my up (my friend was with me too), and I did a covert ops mission to Best Buy to pick up NBA Showtime. I had to sneak it back into my house. My parents have no clue what game is what, so once I am in my room, I can play it and they won't know. I had to be sneaky about buying games, and bringing them home. ah, memories

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought of another excellent story.

1 time I was at Chuck E Cheese (back when it was still Showtime Pizza or whatever), and there was some random game there that somebody put up for infinite credits. the game was tron. the only thing i remember is shooting the big cylinder looking thing, i never got passed that level, but i didn't care, because they had dual t-mek machines setup.

see, back in my child days of gaming, i spent more time at the arcade than i did at home playing nes or snes.