Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Working Designs folded?

Cherry (Level 1) Canadian Psycho's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Has Working Designs folded?

I'm wondering since their Web site has been down for about 5 days. It happened before, but for 5 days?

Btw, has Growlanser even been released yet?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I doubt they have folded. I have experienced the same issues. Could be maintenance, although 5 days does seem a bit long...
    There Can Be Only One!
    ---AWESOME TRADERS---
    maxlords, vintagegamecrazy, [-Sentinel-], Rugal, vision89, stargate, gamergary, Nick, Zmweasel

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rhiohki
    I doubt they have folded. I have experienced the same issues. Could be maintenance, although 5 days does seem a bit long...
    The WD website goes down all the time, but usually just overnight. I recall taking a few late-night trips into the office to reboot the server after a crash (and to get in a li'l pinball). Five days, however, is most definitely cause for concern.

And, nope, Growlanser: Generations hasn't shipped yet.

-- Z.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Prehaps the server died? I don't mean "gone down" but broken. Could be something as mundane as a computer problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

True, but what sort of company lets its server go down for that long? At least set up a temporary fix on an old laptop or something...jeez

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    True, but what sort of company lets its server go down for that long? At least set up a temporary fix on an old laptop or something...jeez
    I don't know. They never seemed to update their site much though. I think the last time I checked it the news still had the Arc the lad release posted. So maybe they just haven't gotten around to it, or noticed?

Although that would also effect email. So it's probably unlikely. :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Either their entire staff (which I'm led to believe is not too many people) is focusing on completing Growlanser Generations, and thus they don't have time to fix the server, or they decided saving some dough by simply not having the site hosted for a few days/weeks until they can recoup some cash from the sales of their latest game. I'm exaggerating a bit here, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear from WD's demise in the near future, and that is a damn shame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think the first answer is much more plausible. When you buy hosting (I'd assume it's actually just bandwidth in this case), you've got bandwidth and what you don't use you don't get paid back money for. So there's no benefit for them to just turn off the machine and hope to make up pennies for keeping the server down for days.

Another very likely situation is that an expensive piece of equipment has gone bad. I wonder what sort of machines the server's on...hopefully, if they be smart, a very spartan old fashioned computer system costing under a thousand. But hey, not everybody buys equipment that's right for their organization.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the first answer is much more plausible. When you buy hosting (I'd assume it's actually just bandwidth in this case), you've got bandwidth and what you don't use you don't get paid back money for. So there's no benefit for them to just turn off the machine and hope to make up pennies for keeping the server down for days.
    Yup, I said the second possibility half-jokingly as I don't know anything about bandwidth or Web hosting services (I guess it showed ).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought WD stopped putting out games a couple years ago. Great to know that they are still around though. They put out some of the nicest game sets ever released.

Just checked out EB.com and saw the Growlanser set. Pretty slick. This has gotta be the first time a watch was ever packaged with a game (though early copies of Chrono Cross shiped with a wall clock, didn't it?):

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/243132.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The site has gone down several times before, and sometimes for days at a time.

The website never got much lovin' so its not that big of a surprise. I don't think it has been updated since February.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I emailed them about a week ago, to ask if they would consider publishing the Sega Ages version of Dragon Force in the states if Sega doesn't, and I recieved a prompt reply that they would consider it. So I'm guessing they are just having trouble with their website. Hopefully at least. And Growlanser Generations is shipping this month on the 16th I believe. I got that bad boy pre-ordered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigGeorgeJohnson
    I emailed them about a week ago, to ask if they would consider publishing the Sega Ages version of Dragon Force in the states if Sega doesn't, and I recieved a prompt reply that they would consider it.
    While I would love to see this as well, don't hold your breath.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sisko
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGeorgeJohnson
    I emailed them about a week ago, to ask if they would consider publishing the Sega Ages version of Dragon Force in the states if Sega doesn't, and I recieved a prompt reply that they would consider it.
    While I would love to see this as well, don't hold your breath.
    Yeah, I know it's doubtful. But I thought it wouldn't be too difficult considering they translated and localized it once already. Then again Sega is bringing the PS collection over so maybe they will with DF as well.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Nope! A watch was included if you pre-ordered Arc the Lad Collection, the last game WD released before this one.

That collection, BTW, included four games (Arc 1-3 and Arena) and the typical goodies in the box. You only got the watch if you pre-ordered the game, though. I still have mine carefully packed away.

Arc came out in early 2002, if I recall correcly, and is a wonderfull bunch of strategy/RPG games. 1 and 2 are VERY somber and serious, but still fun to play, and one of the hardest bosses I've ever done. 3 was more upbeat and funny, thank God. :P
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looking foward to Growlanser. I'm sure they have to be low on money though.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Indeed. According to Zach they have had to move their operations into a much smaller office and probaly only has a few people on staff. There are many reasons for the decline of WD -- and this has been talked about in other threads -- but I'm sure that GG is going to be the last game they publish in North America. I'm sure the game will do quite well, but not enough to save Working Designs.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Nope! A watch was included if you pre-ordered Arc the Lad Collection, the last game WD released before this one. :D

That collection, BTW, included four games (Arc 1-3 and Arena) and the typical goodies in the box. You only got the watch if you pre-ordered the game, though. I still have mine carefully packed away. ;)
    The Japanese limited edition of Valkyrie Profile came with a very fancy pocketwatch, and I'm guessing there are several even older special editions of games that came with watches of some kind. Arc the Lad was probably the first in the US, though.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Indeed. According to Zach they have had to move their operations into a much smaller office and probaly only has a few people on staff. There are many reasons for the decline of WD -- and this has been talked about in other threads -- but I'm sure that GG is going to be the last game they publish in North America. I'm sure the game will do quite well, but not enough to save Working Designs.
    Yep, it's true. Victor has moved back into the converted upstairs bedroom that he used as an "office" for most of WD's existence, before the company's run of PlayStation hits provided him with enough cash to move into legitimate digs. I worked in both the bedroom "office" and the real office.

It's been long enough that I've come to appreciate my WD stint as the high point of my career, and probably my life. Good times.

-- Z.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it too late to call WD to preorder it right from them?If not does anyone know their number?