Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSP durability...what can we expect?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSP durability...what can we expect?

I think we can all agree that PS2 is a shitty system when it comes down to durability...with countless people talking about replacing their units. And PS2 is a home system!

Now, consider a handheld -and we all know that handhelds are facing a lot more of possible demages (drops, cold, water etc.)

Knowing that PS2 broke down after 1.5 years by just sitting in my room...makes me seriouslly wonder how a handheld made by the same company will live.

Are we talking about replacements every 6 months here?
    ------------------------------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

I expect it'll break if you treat it like shit. Like anything else.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley
    well duh man....that is kinda stating the obvious...if u throw your GCN around it will brake just like a PS2. However, in many situations GCN is much more durable than the PS2.

Don't go into extremes here.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My PS2 works flawlessly after many years of heavey play....Heavey play means long hours not kicking it around. I keep my disks clean I keep the unit pretty dust free.

This goes along with the XBox DVD drives. Reading so many articles has made me paranoid I might get a Thompson drive and the world would come to an end.

I'm of the mind set that if it doesn't break in first month or two of substantial use then it's pretty solid.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Isn't the game put on a mini-cd encased in a plastic holder that slides into the PSP? Or does the game just come on a mini-cd and the case opens to insert and remove the game? Imagine what happens once dirt gets stuck in there. Wonder if you can just blow into it and have it work just like the old cartridge days. Being that it is made by Sony plan on replacing yours often.
    Systems owned: 2600, 5200, Lynx, Jaguar w/CD, Commodore 64, NES, SNES, N64 w/DrV64, Gamecube, GB, GBA SP, Game.com, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Turbo Grafx 16, Game Gear, Master System, Genesis w/32X and CD, JVC X'Eye, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, PSP, Xbox, Xbox 360, Wii.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

well, its a sony...so id assume treating like a true portable will lead to damage

i am going to treat mine like a home system when i get it...except for the fact that instead of looking at a tv and being attacked by a cord to the system i can lay back on my bed and play
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    [if u throw your GCN around it will brake just like a PS2.
    Not always. Ine took an unfortunate fall from my RPTV... about 5 feet into a wall then onto ceramic tile, Actually took a small chip out of the corner. It still works like a champ. When that initially hapened, I felt sick. Now I'm proud that my GCN has a "battle scar." Only console I've ever managed to drop too.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Poor Cube. Tough Cube!
    Support Medical Marijuana

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

i will stick up for my PS2 though.....i knocked an entire dresser onto it.....still works like a charm (knock on wood) and only has one very minor nick that you can hardly notice....i was amazed....i thought i was gonna have to buy a new PS2...thank god i didnt
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No Clamshell design either (like DS) so that insanely beautiful screen will get all scratched up in your pocket.

Currently playing in my dreams: The Brutal Balad of Fangus Klot (Xbox) Citizen Siege (Xbox 360) Hand of Odd (Xbox 360)
    -----
    R.I.P. Oddworld Inhabitants - Long Live the Independent Developer!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your dresser fell on your PS2 and it still works? That's lucky.

Don't count the PSP out yet. Maybe Sony has figured out a way to make their handheld indestructable. Anyway, if I ever get a PSP then I'll get a screen cover to go along with it.

Pretzel (Level 4) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

So far, I'm not convinced that the PSP will hold up to serious portable use (based mainly on the record of the PS2). But, I'll hold judgment until I've actually seen one in action.
    Active systems owned: Wii, X360, PS3
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS
    Systems wanted: Coleco, 7800, TG16, GG, 3DS, Vita, WiiU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think we can all agree that PS2 is a shitty system when it comes down to durability...with countless people talking about replacing their units. And PS2 is a home system!
    I disagree. I've never had a Sony system break on me. I did have problems with my first NES and my first Xbox though. I'm not saying that it PS2's never break. It's just never happened to me or any of the people i know.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by GobopopRevisited
    No Clamshell design either (like DS) so that insanely beautiful screen will get all scratched up in your pocket.
    So get a screen cover. I thought that was common sense when I had a regular GBA.

They'll be plenty of selection, third party acessories designers always have a field day with handhelds.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

There's a video somewhere on the internet where these drunken fratboys beat a Cube with a sledgehammer, threw it out a window, then literally dragged it behind their pickup on paved road for a good three miles. Then they brought it back and played a round of Smash Bros.
    I think they finally killed it by setting it on fire.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joshnickerson
    There's a video somewhere on the internet where these drunken fratboys beat a Cube with a sledgehammer, threw it out a window, then literally dragged it behind their pickup on paved road for a good three miles. Then they brought it back and played a round of Smash Bros.
    Link!? PLizzzzzzzz Plizzzzzz PLIZIZIZIZZIIZ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley
    well duh man....that is kinda stating the obvious...if u throw your GCN around it will brake just like a PS2. However, in many situations GCN is much more durable than the PS2.

Don't go into extremes here.
    Of course it's obvious. But I'm sick of hearing about how crappy Sony's videogame hardware is. People want to be able to drop/shake/immerse in water their hardware and not have it break. It's electronics people. And in the case of the PSP, it's gonna have movable parts. You gotta be careful with it. Using it 12hrs a day is gonna lead to an early demise as well. Videogames break, TVs break, cars break, people break, hakuna matata. If it plays great games I don't mind buying another one in the eventual time it takes to wear out.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Quote Originally Posted by joshnickerson
    Link!? PLizzzzzzzz Plizzzzzz PLIZIZIZIZZIIZ
    Trust me, if I knew where the heck it was, I'd link to it. I have no clue where it is now. I used to have it downloaded, but lost it when I reformated.

The TV show X-Play did a similar "endurance" test recently, where systems were pounded, hit and dropped. The PS2 failed first, then the Xbox, but the Cube managed to survive all three trials. Then Morgan "punished" the losers with a sledgehammer I'm sure they'll rerun it at some point on G4.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

honestly, i wouldn't be worried. i have a launch PS2, an original PS, and a PSTwo, none of which have ever skipped a beat, even with heavy/marathon use.

granted, they are on SHELVES, not the floor sucking up dust and carpet fuzz, and none of my games have a mark on them. they have been moved around plenty to go over to friends' houses and such, but they are always handled with reasonable care (i.e. they aren't going back in the box for a car ride, but my name isn't Phinneas Q. Butterfingers either).

i'd chalk the "widespread" PS2 failures up to the magical issue of lack of objectivity that comes along with any info on the internet. if 300 people on here have bad PS2's, chances are we're only going to hear about PS2 reliability from those 300 people. go on any brand specific automotive forum, and you'd think that whatever make it was had cars exploding left and right. guess what - people are usually only only asking questions on a forum when something is WRONG, not writing in to tell everyone it's sunday and their subaru is running fine.

sony has far more units out there than anyone else, so even with the same percentage of failiure (1% is considered acceptable for a manufacturer), that's still enough people to raise hell on the internet and make it seem like a widespread problem.

the most unreliable system i ever owned was my DC - i bought one on launch day, and 3 months later the controller ports stopped responding. i went through 3 more in a row that suffered the SAME problem without fail within a week. however, i am always leary of buying any sony product after a particular experience with an ES receiver i bought about 5 years ago. it was sent back for the same warranty issue 4 times, and it was never fixed, or the same problem would pop up again within a few days. i ended up putting $500 worth of stereo on the curb for the trash men that week.
    great people to do business with - D-Lite, max330mega, The Collector, Jimmy Yakapucci

neo-geo.com - vwlunatic, BIG BEAR, neogeofl, pixeljunkie, japangamesnow.com, OmegaSaber

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I think it will break if you look at it the wrong way.

Or maybe if you urinate on it.

Seriously, it's gotta be strong, or else they'd be shooting themselves in the foot. I'm certain that durability is one of the major tests they're doing/have done.