I'll let you know if we study this in pathology class.

I had no idea that Wendy Carlos was a transexual, by the way.

Transexualism is more common than people might think, however. Many children are born pseudohemaphrodites with certain chromosomal abnormalities (like XXY or they may have a deletion on their Y chromosome in the region that makes your body react to testosterone) and have what they call "ambiguous" genitalia. Either that or the type of genitalia they have does not correspond with what sex they should be according to their genome. In the case of ambiguity, many parents have decided to just pick a sex and go with it based on what the baby's internal organs look like, or if they just really wanted a boy or a girl. Often the child grows up with the complete opposite hormonal profile and wants a sex change by the time they're 30. The same happens if, say, the kid has a wiener and a pair of ovaries.

True hemaphroditism (having both ovaries and testes) is really, really rare, but the above situations are common enough for me to say that those examples you pointed out are just coincidence. But I'm not an epidemiologist, so that's just my guess based on my studies the past 2 years.

Boy, it's really wierd to be writing about this on DP.