Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Default Amplitude PS2 loadscreen problem

I finally got a brand-new (or so I thought) copy of Amplitude for the PS2 from Zellers (a Canadian department store chain). When I tried loading it on my PSTwo, it get stuck on the "Loading" screen. Even after a few minutes of wait, still no change.

I've checked online for some known issue or something like that, and the only suggestion was "clean up your PS2", etc. Only thing: I bought the PSTwo a month ago and so, and haven't had any other problem running games. Also, the copy of the game was *supposed* to be new, yet upon looking at the bottom of the disc, I noticed some visual flaws, not so much scratches as they are blemishes of some sort. In comparison, my Kingdom Hearts copy, which I have been playing for the past week, still looks new.

I'm going to return the game for an exchange, but I want to know if anyone else has had that problem before. If such is the case, I might ask for a refund for defectiveness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a PS1 disc that I bought used that has a cloudyness to the read side of the disc....no idea.

Sorry I can't help.

Insert Coin (Level 0) lakeflaccid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I noticed some visual flaws, not so much scratches as they are blemishes of some sort.
    New discs will sometimes have strange marks on them that look kind of like "water" stains. There will be a part of the disc that is lighter or darker.

Is this what the disc appears to have?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I heard the PSTwo had various problems include disc read errors and overheating problems.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i sometimes have a problem with that game freezing on the screen right after you beat a song. its really annoying
    You must be Dirk, Dirk the Daring

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Yeah, it does look like stains more than scratches. Still, as I've said, this is the first time I've had any problem with my PSTwo. Granted, I haven't played a lot of games on it yet, but so far, everything had been going smoothly with Kingdom Hearts, Activision Anthology and Karaoke Revolution 1 and 2.

And as I've said, I don't seem to have been the only person with problems related to loadscreen freeze in Amplitude, although the other reports that I found were older (and thus with the original PS2, not the PSTwo).

Maybe before sending it back to Zellers for an exchange I should send an email about it; however, should I send it to the developer (Harmonix, whose other games -- Frequency, Karaoke Rev 1 and 2 -- never gave me any problem) or to the publisher (SCEA)?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

As an avid Amplitude player, I can tell you that I had nary a problem with the game freezing.

Perhaps it is the PStwo? I have heard that it isn't compatible with all games. Not 100% certain on that, but I do recall reading it somewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    As an avid Amplitude player, I can tell you that I had nary a problem with the game freezing.

Perhaps it is the PStwo? I have heard that it isn't compatible with all games. Not 100% certain on that, but I do recall reading it somewhere.
    AS I'VE SAID, THE SAME SITUATION HAD BEEN REPORTED MONTHS BEFORE THE PSTWO WAS RELEASED.

Sorry about the all-cap typing, but it's the third time I'm saying this: it doesn't seem to be directly linked to the PSTwo itself, as I've seen threads reporting this problem that are dated from months ago.

The only thing I've seen and I'll try it: on a French forum, there was a discussion on this topic and someone suggested to switch the console's language to US English. I wonder now if that could be it (if I remember correctly, for some reason, I decided to setup my PSTwo's language to French). Of course, that doesn't explain the American gamers who had had problems loading Amplitude on their PS2.

Also, before anyone asks, no my PSTwo is not modded, I do not use anything like Action Replay and my memory card is an official Sony card.

Cherry (Level 1) DaBargainHunta's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye
    AS I'VE SAID, THE SAME SITUATION HAD BEEN REPORTED MONTHS BEFORE THE PSTWO WAS RELEASED.
    Lady Jaye, perhaps this problem has something to do with your PStwo?

Seriously, you're gonna have a heart attack. If your disc has weird blemishes on it, that can't be a good sign, now can it? Just exchange the damn thing for another copy and see what happens. That's what I'd do.
    Formerly the poster known as Retro Pro

My review of Road Trip for PS2: http://digitpress.com/reviews/roadtrip.htm

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

The only reason I asked is that I read this on IGN a while back, when the PStwo was first released:

It has also been confirmed that some software will not be compatible with the new unit, but what those titles are have not been revealed.
    I have not personally had probelms with my big PS2, and none of the people I know who have it ran into anything either.

I guess you can try changing the language, but I don't see why that would cause the problem. We changed the store demo PS2's language to something totally off-the-wall and it didn't screw up any games.

I'd just take the game back for another. Then if it happens again, you can be sure it's not the disc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

No need to return the game after all!!!!

Turns out that the French forum dudes were right: the PSTwo's (and I suppose the PS2's) language has to be set to English! Why though I have no clue, but it now works just fine!!!!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its a damn good game, that and Frequency.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!