Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo is really of the ball on this next handheld...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Nintendo is really of the ball on this next handheld...

Do you guys feel sold out by Nintendo through out the recent years ?

Not that I think the DS is bad or anything, but I honestly believe Nintendo could have brought something up much more impressive… like having a wider higher quality screen… the DS looks like something more appropriate for a child.

From what I have seen on both sides... PSP vs DS... when comparing games like Ridge Racer on both systems... the PSP blows the DS out of the water in every single feature (except length of game play time with battery). Check these links out:

PSP version of Ridge Racer
    http://gackt.virtualinsanity.com.ar/rrs_2s.wmv

DS version of that exact game:
    http://www.gamespot.com/ds/driving/...s_112204gf5.asx

The quality of sound, smoothness of the graphics etc is such a big difference... this should make for more quality gamming in general.

I really believe Nintendo is going backwards in many of their products... they just lack appeal to a wider audience... Nintendo is no flexibility anymore.

What do you honestly think is going through the mind of the guys over at Nintendo? Really now.

If the PSP were never to exist... then I would say that Nintendo would have had a better product... BUT compition puts things in perspective.

In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown... (Woodstock, IL)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that I will reserve my judgement until the PSP is actually released... many things can happen until then...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)
    Wouldn't you like to be a Pepper II?
    View my collection here:
    http://users.ign.com/collection/markm2112
    http://www.gamespot.com/user/collect...user=MarkM2112

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarkM2112
    I think that I will reserve my judgement until the PSP is actually released... many things can happen until then...
    Very true, but I don't think much will change... unless you talking about quality control, lack of products in stores etc... also I fixed the link in my 1st post... they should work now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sellout

Selling out is a common slang phrase. Broadly speaking, it refers to the compromising of one's integrity in exchange for money or other personal gain. It is commonly associated with attempts to increase mass appeal or acceptability to mainstream society. A person who does this is labelled a sellout.

I really don't know what point you're trying to make here. If the question is: "Do I feel sold out by Nintendo because they're not trying to increase their appeal to a wider audience?" Then the answer is: "No."

Example: I'm sure Nintendo didn't expect Zelda: Four Swords to sell anywhere near as many copies as Wind Waker or Ocarina of Time. But they released it anyway, and I'm glad they did. I'm sure they could've spent time on something else, but I actually enjoyed Four Swords more than I did Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time. They could have also not released Wind Waker - it was criticised up and down for the graphics and everything else, but they stuck with it anyway. That's why I don't feel like they've sold me out: because they're still releasing games that I enjoy playing, and they don't seem to care whether or not they're critically acclaimed either. Not that Nintendo's stubborn attitude has really helped them, but there's not really any way I'd call them a sellout either.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Nintendo's always had a way of releasing something not of the norm, or different, so to speak.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nintendo was NEVER flexible, seriously its like a company motto.

read the book about nintendo called "GAME OVER" and youll know what im talking about.

regardless, battery life and price play such an enormous part in the mass portable biz that everything else means literally nothing.
    case in point:

Original Gameboy Vs. Sega Game Gear.

same is happening with psp, i mean sure it looks nice, but psp's ridge race can go suck a stump if the system will die in 2-3 hours, id rather be playing mario 64 or mario kart.

i never feel sold out by nintendo, i buy their consoles expecting nintendo quality and i get it. save for virtual boy, but i mean, cmon.

but i guess i have something you kids dont, a job, so i can buy both. like i bought both GC and PS2 and XBOX.

also, how the hell are you gonna play RPGs on the psp?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On the topic of Ridge Racer, the DS version is a port of the N64 Ridge Racer. So there's your answer, now everyone stop BITCHING ABOUT IT!

Seriously, I'm tired of everything comparing two completely different versions of the game and saying one's superior as if they were the same game. They're not! They're two different games. What is so big about Ridge Racer that it's all of a sudden the be all and end all of the portable race?

I suppose it's because it's the only title for both platforms, but it may as well not be seeing as it's not REALLY the same game on both. So drop the subject and wait for something else to come along. THEN compare them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by postulio
    but i guess i have something you kids dont, a job, so i can buy both. like i bought both GC and PS2 and XBOX.

Can I just say that those are two of the most un-intentionally hilarious things I've ever read on these boards?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

'sold-out' is without a doubt one of the most abused phrases in common parlance.
    Frankly, just using the term nullifies any arguement you may be trying to make.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    On the topic of Ridge Racer, the DS version is a port of the N64 Ridge Racer. So there's your answer, now everyone stop BITCHING ABOUT IT!

Seriously, I'm tired of everything comparing two completely different versions of the game and saying one's superior as if they were the same game. They're not! They're two different games. What is so big about Ridge Racer that it's all of a sudden the be all and end all of the portable race?

I suppose it's because it's the only title for both platforms, but it may as well not be seeing as it's not REALLY the same game on both. So drop the subject and wait for something else to come along. THEN compare them.
    I think it says something that the DS gets a port of an n64 game and the PSP gets an all new Ridge Racer. Everyone knows that the PSP kicks the DS in the ass when it comes to graphics. If you mention it though then you get the battery life argument.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At least the PSP is getting some RPGs. I haven't seen one RPG announced for the DS. How will you play them on the DS when you don't have any coming out?
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

why would you compare a game thats being released on both systems....you KNOW the psp version will look a helluva lot nicer...its gonna be the oddball games, that make use of the touch screen thats gonna make the difference.....i been havin a fun time playing all the mini games i unlocked in mario 64 ds, me and my wife have been in heated competition :P
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the Game Gear argument most applies. It doesn't matter how good you handheld is, if it has no battery life, it just won't sell. Not to mention the still up in the air price.

The handheld market isn't like the console market. Lets be honest, handhelds are pretty much for us hardcore gamers and kids. If Sony thinks they can release a system at $300 + and sell it because it does this that and the other, they are sorly mistaken. The casual market, their bread and butter, won't bite.

If anyone read the last EGM, they had a hands on rundown of both systems from the Tokyo Game Show. They scored the PSP a letter grade lower then the DS. Thats not good.

Anyways, I was pretty sceptical till I try out the DS at Bestbuy. After Metroid:Hunters, I am a firm believer in the touch screen.
    I am in fact the guy that made the Raisins prototype worth thousands less by dumping it. "D'oh!!"

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Quote Originally Posted by kai123

At least the PSP is getting some RPGs. I haven't seen one RPG announced for the DS. How will you play them on the DS when you don't have any coming out?
    Hmm, there is at least one RPG coming out for the DS: Final Fantasy III...

Actually, it's not confirmed whether it'll come out here or not, but chances are that it will finally be localized in English.

There's also Crystal Chronicles (but the jury is still out on whether to consider it an RPG or not).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley

Can I just say that those are two of the most un-intentionally hilarious things I've ever read on these boards?
    Especially taken together, yes :)

If games on the DS are great fun, they'll remain great fun whether or not the PSP succeeds or fails...but the PSP will definitely have an effect on game development for the handheld (already has). I'm afraid I have to say that whether or not I will buy a DS is contingent (among other things) on how the PSP adds up.

As for the pixels and manufacture bit, it's a lot of ado about nothing. I'd definitely want to get a non-Chinese unit based off what I heard (which might just be scare-mongering), but that's not absolutely necessary. If pixels are bad you can definitely schlep that unit right back to where it came from for a fixing...no problem.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Hmmm, A screen, controller buttons.....geez, I play RPG's with the combination of these with my PS2 and all my other console systems and handhelds.

But man, HOW, oh HOW will I play an RPG on my PSP.

The world may never know.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    Hmmm, A screen, controller buttons.....geez, I play RPG's with the combination of these with my PS2 and all my other console systems and handhelds.

But man, HOW, oh HOW will I play an RPG on my PSP.

The world may never know.

either youre stupid or a smart ass.

it was regarding the 2-3 hour battery life. not the damn controls mofo.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CAR25
    Do you guys feel sold out by Nintendo through out the recent years ?

I don't think they have "Sold Out" but i di think Nintendo has, in recent years, decided to take a "path of least resistance".

All i want is a new 2-D Mario game. I thought surely the GBA would have one as its a turbo powered SNES but we saw how *THAT* ended up.

I'm just disappointed that a company that used to crank out Grade A games and go full force for thier systems has come to a point where they must recycle thier past titles.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default delet

delet

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brandver3
    I think the Game Gear argument most applies. It doesn't matter how good you handheld is, if it has no battery life, it just won't sell. Not to mention the still up in the air price.

The handheld market isn't like the console market. Lets be honest, handhelds are pretty much for us hardcore gamers and kids. If Sony thinks they can release a system at $300 + and sell it because it does this that and the other, they are sorly mistaken. The casual market, their bread and butter, won't bite.

If anyone read the last EGM, they had a hands on rundown of both systems from the Tokyo Game Show. They scored the PSP a letter grade lower then the DS. Thats not good.

Anyways, I was pretty sceptical till I try out the DS at Bestbuy. After Metroid:Hunters, I am a firm believer in the touch screen.
    What ? I thought it was official that sony is gona sell the PSP at ~$185 ?... it should cost around $180-$200 when it hits the US.

It's not all that expensive when you think about the fact that it's only around $30 more "costly" than the DS which has a low quality, 2 small screens... and after seeing and playing the DS today... I just don't understand why it even would cost $150 in the 1st place... over priced for what I would get... at lest for that price give me a better quality screen (larger and brighter with little glare).

Also, after using the DS with an open mind... I was not as compelled to get one as I was getting the GBA. (but the GBA did not have any compition, so there was nothing else to really get in a practical sense.)