Thread: 32X Troubleshooting

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 32X Troubleshooting

Background:

I purchased a pile of "dead" 32x's about five years ago at a surplus store.. I assume it was around the time Sega Canada "closed shop". At the same time I picked up several boxed units, Sega CDs and Genesis as well as tons of Saturn controllers...(unforturnately the SS controllers were all the original US style.)

Many of the 32X's worked fine.. I think the stock I bought were all customer returns.. some of the customers probably just couldn't figure out how to hook up the 32x...

I managed to get most of the non-working 32x's working by reattaching the ribbon cables inside or just finding obvious problems, such as detached wires on the mobo etc., and as of now, I only have 2 of the non-working ones left.

Problem:

One does absolutely nothing... the "Produced blah blah blah" boot screen comes up, and then black screen regardless of whether a 32x game or Genesis game is inserted. I am going to assume this one is really dead.

The 2nd, will allow Genesis games to play fine, but not 32x games, so I am led to think it is salvageable... I have done some searching but I haven't been able to find any info on this specific problem, so I thought I'd plant it here and see if anyone can help me out.

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had 2 32x units that showed a copyright screen & nothing else. As a troubleshooting tool, I tried to run CD/32X games with them and they both worked fine with those. Only carts wouldn't run.

On both units, there is a resistor that connects to a leg of one of the (I think) processors. With the internals exposed, it's part of the 32x that's in the cartridge base. Both had this resistor slightly detatched & resoldering it fixed them up. It was either a processor, or supporting chip. Just an idea, anyway.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the news..

I just tried them both out with a 32x CD and neither booted it...

I then checked (rechecked?) all the connections on the seemingly afterthought maze of wires and resistors running around these things and found everything to be secure... although one was very differently wired than the other, and didn't have 2 of the resistors the other did..

I guess I will leave these in my box of non-working Sega stuff for another few years.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One thing I can think of is if you have a genesis model tow and are not using the hooks, it usuall does not work. If you have tried this (as you proably have) than sorry for taking up space with a reply like that.

P.S.
    I know that this isn't the buying and selling fourms, but would you be willing to sell at least one of those 32X or anything eles that you have a stockpile of, Sega-wise. I will PM you, and please PM me back, good or bad. Thanks!