Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Really Bad PS2 Games!

In the time honored tradition of informing the general public of disasters waiting to happen (how many times have you held a game in your hand and thought... this looks like it could be good... but it could be REALLY bad), and in light of the fact that the US PS2 game list is now in our database, it's time to start fililng in those little warning flags "-" to go along with the now populated recommended "+" flags.

So what I'm looking for here are the PS2 games that you feel are genuinely awful. NOT games that you just don't like (I don't want to see well-designed games that just aren't your bag listed here, like Gran Turismo 3 or Final Fantasy X), I'm talking about games that were poorly conceived, designed, and yet released regardless.

Oh, one last note. If you're a Sony hater feel free to enjoy READING this thread, but I'm not interested in your opinion if it's "ALL PS2 GAMES SUCK" or "ALL GAMES ON GAMECUBE ARE BETTER". This thread is more for PS2 fans and owners. I want to hear what you would list as the worst of the lot.

Here was our "Really Bad PlayStation Games!" thread for precedence:
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/view...ht=playstation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Summoner - Terrible game

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The budget futuristic racing title HSX is pretty bad. And the funny thing was, it had a track editor...yep, just what you need, a track editor to make tracks for a lousy game.

Stretch Panic is one of the worse games I've ever played...really.

The others I can think of aren't agressively bad, they just don't suit my tastes.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, no no no no! Stretch Panic (aka Freak Out in Europe) was great. It took a bit of getting into, and it is indeed freakishly bizarre, but if you want to claim that it was a truly terrible game then I have no option but to offer you your choice of swords or pistols at dawn ...

Vroomfunkel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Crashbandicoot : The Wraith of Cortex. Terrible load times, terrible controls, PS1 graphics.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence
    Summoner - Terrible game
    I should have probably added: ... " and please explain why you think so."

Don't assume I (or anyone else reading your response) has actually PLAYED the game. Describe what's bad about it. Bashing of bad games by someone who knows why they're bad can be very funny to read.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Star Wars: Super Bombad Racing <--- who's idea was this?

Dino Stalker- Gun Survivor 3 I heard was bad...I like gun shooters...I liked part 2 "Code Veronica" and many still say "Dead Aim" was awful

EverQuest Online Adventures <-- terrilble terrible...PC fans were laughing their asses off, thank god they released Champions of Norrath quickly

Unlimited SaGa <-- sad but true...I liked Saga Frontier...but this...I don't know

Mega Man X7 <-- yuck

Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness <--- It should have been left in the darkness to die...
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

DRIVEN!

Driven almost made me cry, I do NOT lie about this. Driven shot my nerves all to hell just TRYING to play it. Please...never....ever...ever play Driven.

EVER!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

I just played Todd McFarlane's Evil Prophesy and I must say it SUCKS!

I won the game using one button. Punch, punch, punch.

Celebrity Deathmatch is one of the worst PS2 fighters I've ever played. Hit a button, wait a second, maybe the punch will connect. PLay it next to VF or Tekken or Even Bloody Roar as see what I mean.

Bad Boys just flat-out sucked. The gameplay is dull, the dialogue is dreadful, and the graphics suck. Who green-lighted this shite???

I kind of liked Stretch Panic in a weird way.

Cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

My bad.

Summoner : Terrible Camera, bland dialog. poor interface, very choppy with tons of fill in.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought Stretch Panic (Freak Out here) was a pretty cool game. Very odd. But anyway, as this is about bad PS2 games. Simpsons Skateboarding is one of the worst games I have ever played. The controls dont work properly, its boring and impossible to perform tricks..
    Xbox Live Tag - GunstarHeroUK

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ive said it before...HERDY GERDY

i wanted to like this game. it has a cartoonish cover, seemed like fun, and it was $5, but the load times are horrendous. you run from screen to screen - what could be compared to about 100 yds in real life - and you have a 20 second load. some of the scenes are very small too, with just one character interaction. some are 20 sec load...talk to a guy for 20 seconds, turn around, 20 second load. awful.

i cant account much for game play, i could only handle these load times for about 10 minutes....and in that time i ran through about half of a farm..

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by qbertandernie
    ive said it before...HERDY GERDY

i wanted to like this game. it has a cartoonish cover, seemed like fun, and it was $5, but the load times are horrendous. you run from screen to screen - what could be compared to about 100 yds in real life - and you have a 20 second load. some of the scenes are very small too, with just one character interaction. some are 20 sec load...talk to a guy for 20 seconds, turn around, 20 second load. awful.

i cant account much for game play, i could only handle these load times for about 10 minutes....and in that time i ran through about half of a farm..
    I have to second that. I wanted to like it a lot... thought the art style was cool, and the concept was cool... then I played it. Everything that qb&e said is true, and gameplay-wise, it is lacking. I expected something deeper, and didn't get it. Not to mention those visuals I mentioned were pretty washed out when I played it.

dave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Tomb Raider: Angel Of Darkness definately. Bad control system and I think everyone would agree!!!

Medal Of Honor: Rising Sun - Got the feeling it was rushed out too quickly - Needed a little more time spent on it like the PC version...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll second Stretch Panic as a bad game.

I only bought it because it had the Treasure logo like many of us probably did. I kept trying to force myself to like it and I was on the fence about how bad it was for awhile. It's really just a game with the concept of stretching everything and forgot all about gameplay, controls and story. I think if it didn't have the Treasure logo we would all be in agreament that this is a bad game.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2 - okay, I don't even like the Leagcy of Kain games, but I had seen previews for this, and had gotten genuinely excited about it. My roomate finally bought it, and we found it had camera issues, bland, terrible graphics and ridiculous controls. The only good part was the story/voice acting. Even my roomate, who obsesses about all things LoK/Soul Reaver, found this game to be absolutely awful. What a let down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by classicb
    I'll second Stretch Panic as a bad game.
    No, no, no... If Stretch Panic gets the "-" I will start crying like baby Jesus.
    I'll admit I have love for Treasure but SP has a novel idea and although the gameplay needed tweaking, once I got to master the controls I got fun out of this one. Besides, Linda is cute.

"I never should the games I sold and I have replaced them but they are not the game just a hollow shell of the same game." -RugalSizzler

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Summoner 2 also achieves a special mention of awfulness just for being so excruciatingly mediocre. I could stand about five minutes of it before I had to drag myself to the PS2 and turn it off before the boredom entirely sapped my will to live. It was something about being on a ship and an island and fighting a couple pirates and being the goddess reborn or something and having which button you press to attack explained to me in loving detail. They took the formula for a dull, cookie-cutter action RPG and added box art.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Yes, Summoner 2 is bad for all the reasons why summoner 1 is bad.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

:Ignores bad comments about the summoner games, megaman X7, blood omen 2, and stretch panic, all of which he thinks are good games:

The worst PS2 game I've had the displeasure of playing would be Spyro: Enter the dragonfly. I loved the PS1 Spyros, but when insomniac left, it became crap. Terrible level designs and shoddy controls ruined it. Don't even waste your time.
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."