Thread: Neo Geo Question

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Neo Geo Question

I am looking to get into collecting games for the neo geo system but I have a couple of questions hopefully you guys can help me with. What is the difference between all the systems the AES, MVS or the gold system? Is any one better than one of the other versions? Thanks for your time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

The AES is the home version of the system. The MVS is the arcade version, which can work at home with converters, and then there is the Neo CD which is just a way to get the games on a cheaper format.

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i think the gold and silver refrences were just diffrent packages for the AES with no diffrence in acual hardware.

the AES is a home console version and comes with a nice video game system look, the games also come in nice boxes with manuals and lables

MVS is the arcade version of the AES (the games are essentually exactlly the same, though due to physical diffrences in the cart you cannot use a MVS cart in a AES or a AES cart in MVS without a converter). MVS carts do not come with boxs or manuals but you can buy them as people have made boxes with cover art for them. oh, MVS carts are also very cheap compaired to AES carts for pretty much the same game

to play MVS carts you nees either a MVS board that has been consolized OR a supergun to hook the MVS board up to.

the Neo-Geo CD is just a cd version of the AES. though the load times are pretty bad. there are a few CD exclusive games

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stick with AES or Consolized MVS. I pefer AES, but the prices are much more expensive than MVS. The CD version sometimes lack things in the original cart versions, and the pre-mentioned load times can get ugly.

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i think i should mention something about the MVS route.

its initally a bit more expensive then the AES route but in the long haul its alot less expensive since as we already mentioned AES games are expensive.

depending on how much money you want to put into it a consolized MVS can be made to look like a home system with the right shell. i've even seen a guy put the MVS board in a neo CD unit shell. its alsot better looking and compact then haveing a boxy supergun with wires comeing out and connecting with a MVS board.

BUT

if your into the Neo-Geo you may also be into arcade games in general and if you are you can get alot more use out of a good supergun which can play other arcade formats (diffrent SG's have varying compatibility). i was in you boat a year ago. intially got a modded AES. i still don't regret it and buy AES games when i can afford it but i did end up buying a decent supergun and a MVS board. the setups kinda ugly but i have alot more options with it.