Thread: importing ps2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    HalfCabLeroy

Default importing ps2

Lately I've been thinking about getting some Japanese ps2 games. Is there anything like the GCN's freeloader or would I have to buy a Japanese ps2. I also don't want to mod a US ps2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you don't want to mod, I believe your only option then would be getting a Japanese PS2.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you don't want to mod, I believe your only option then would be getting a Japanese PS2.
    That's pretty much it.

There is an easy non chip mod - the flip top.

Basically, you:
    Load a boot disc
    It prompts you to insert disc
    Flip open top
    Pop in game

I've done two of these mods without a problem. I doubt they'll work on one of the redesigned PS2s though.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

if importing PS2 is getting around $200+ mark think of PS2 Test...
    I got mine for $250 but you could get for bit more from Assember...

cheers

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I paid about $270 for mine, but I got one of the special colors
    I go online sometimes, but ... everyone's spelling is really bad, and it's ... depressing.

--Tara from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

BEST SITE FOR IMPORTS!
    http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-pfh-71-99.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JWKobayashi
    There is an easy non chip mod - the flip top.

Basically, you:
    Load a boot disc
    It prompts you to insert disc
    Flip open top
    Pop in game

I've done two of these mods without a problem. I doubt they'll work on one of the redesigned PS2s though.
    I've heard Swap Magic works on the small PS2, but you have to do something to keep the lid switch held down. It's about the same as doing the PS1 swap trick, from what I understand. If that's the case, then it's potentially easier than using it with the original PS2, since you don't have to replace the upper casing.

Strawberry (Level 2) GunPanther's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: importing ps2

Quote Originally Posted by Half Cab Leroy
    Lately I've been thinking about getting some Japanese ps2 games. Is there anything like the GCN's freeloader or would I have to buy a Japanese ps2. I also don't want to mod a US ps2.

A great alternative to modding a USA PS2 is the "Swap Magic" which was previously mentioned.

They cost anywhere from $25.00 - $45.00 and they're a great little device/disc set that definitely lets you play either DVD Rom or CD-Rom PS2 games.

Here's the lowdown:

PROS -

* You'll be able to play import Japanese NTSC or European PAL games on your PS2 with the provided software discs.

* It's definitely cheaper than having your PS2 modded.

CONS -

* You will need to have one of the older (larger) model PS2 consoles and NOT the new 'slim' designed ones.

* Having a small bit of technical knowledge (and most importantly patience and common sense) when performing a minor modification to the PS2 console; You MUST remove the front panel door from the loading tray. Then, in order to load your games, it is highly advisable that you use the 'loading tool' which is usually included in the Swap Magic Kit.

* You MUST follow the loading/loading tool directions fully and to the letter, or your Swap Magic Kit will not work properly. Again, this goes back the to 'patience and common sense' aspect.

* PAL games WILL work on your PS2, but the image will NOT be converted to NTSC for your NTSC television set. You will need to have some solution such as a costly digital converter (about $150.00+) or some other method in order to play your PAL games on your NTSC TV. (This is the problem I'm having right now myself)

If you're willing to put in a little bit of elbow grease to do a minor modification to the front loading tray, than the Swap Magic Kit is your best bet. Plus, it's cheap enough that you won't feel ripped off if you don't play imports enough. (There's nothing like spending nearly $100 for a mod when you only end up playing one game. See my point? Then again, I'm not sure what you plan on importing for games, but that's just what I've experienced firsthand.)

GunPanther
    "Sometimes you just have to shoot their limbs to get their attention."

Good traders: Querjek, k8track, youruglyclone

http://users.ign.com/collection/gymleader_panther

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    HalfCabLeroy

Quote Originally Posted by GunPanther

A great alternative to modding a USA PS2 is the "Swap Magic" which was previously mentioned.

They cost anywhere from $25.00 - $45.00 and they're a great little device/disc set that definitely lets you play either DVD Rom or CD-Rom PS2 games.

Here's the lowdown:

PROS -

* You'll be able to play import Japanese NTSC or European PAL games on your PS2 with the provided software discs.

* It's definitely cheaper than having your PS2 modded.

CONS -

* You will need to have one of the older (larger) model PS2 consoles and NOT the new 'slim' designed ones.

* Having a small bit of technical knowledge (and most importantly patience and common sense) when performing a minor modification to the PS2 console; You MUST remove the front panel door from the loading tray. Then, in order to load your games, it is highly advisable that you use the 'loading tool' which is usually included in the Swap Magic Kit.

* You MUST follow the loading/loading tool directions fully and to the letter, or your Swap Magic Kit will not work properly. Again, this goes back the to 'patience and common sense' aspect.

* PAL games WILL work on your PS2, but the image will NOT be converted to NTSC for your NTSC television set. You will need to have some solution such as a costly digital converter (about $150.00+) or some other method in order to play your PAL games on your NTSC TV. (This is the problem I'm having right now myself)

If you're willing to put in a little bit of elbow grease to do a minor modification to the front loading tray, than the Swap Magic Kit is your best bet. Plus, it's cheap enough that you won't feel ripped off if you don't play imports enough. (There's nothing like spending nearly $100 for a mod when you only end up playing one game. See my point? Then again, I'm not sure what you plan on importing for games, but that's just what I've experienced firsthand.)

GunPanther
    Thanks GunPanther! I might try that.

Strawberry (Level 2) GunPanther's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks GunPanther! I might try that.

No problem.

FYI: I just found out that a new 3.3 Version of the discs were released, so make sure that you read the new requirements for using the new discs.

I'm stuck with the older 3.2 versions, which don't have the new 3.3 PAL or NTSC video selection feature.

GunPanther
    "Sometimes you just have to shoot their limbs to get their attention."

Good traders: Querjek, k8track, youruglyclone

http://users.ign.com/collection/gymleader_panther

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, now the PStwo is out, you can quite easially and cheaply buy a Japanese console, and run it straight off if you track down a power supply from a native PStwo - If you have a PStwo already then that helps as you will already have the required power lead.

No step down required!

Mind you, i'd be tempted to possibly spend the extra and go for one of those really nice looking limited edition models they always have over there! The gold Gundam one looks kinda cool!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I say buy a Japanese one, stuff system mods as they a waste of time and money. PStwos are cheap now so it would likely cost US$250.

I myself have a PS2 from every region so I can play any game from any region no worries.

FYI

I have :

1 Pearl White JP PS2
    1 JP PStwo
    2 US PS2 (one is in the 30000's while the other is the newer "+" model)
    1 PAL PS2 (early 30000s model)

Yes, I am a member of the Sony Super Support fan club, we hold meets every Sunday.

Cheers

Luke